Thread: Goodnews or Kanektok

Default Goodnews or Kanektok

I am planning a rafting trip to sw alaska for the end of july or begining of august. I am a newbie to the rafting world but have experience with kayaks and canoeing. Does anybody have any input on either of these two rivers? Air services or raft rental suggesstions would also be helpful. Thank you, remmi

Your private message function is turned off man. Check your email.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Both rivers are a blast to float. I lean slightly toward to Goodnews, although you really did not highlight the goals of your projected trip.

Call Bay Air, owned and operated by Tom and Janet Schagel in Dillingham, Alaska. Not only does Tom have a great safety record for 20-something years, but they also have storage area so you can ship your gear ahead of your trip. They also have a "garage area" so you can sort and repack gear. They also rent any rafting gear you might need. And their neighbor Steve is their "jack-of-all-trades" employee who also has a super clean, economically priced B&B room if needed.

I have used Bay Air for six straight years with excellent results.

907 842-2570
    www.BayAir-Alaska.com

dennis

Wouldn't recommend either of these rivers.

Can you explain why ?

Curious to hear what he says myself
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have been on both rivers.
    and enjoyed them both. kanetok has a few guide outfits working the fish and I can't stand power boats when I am river rafting..
    goodnews same deal, down where the river will support the boats, you will find some boat traffic, but the rivers are great easy floats
    I think Mike S book covers both rivers for hunting. for fishing I found plenty of fish in both.
    I actually stayed up at pagati and kagati lakes at the headwaters of the Kanetok river several times hunting caribou back when there was a population of those critters in that area.. now void of caribou, I would imagine unless just fishing and bear viewing it would still be a good float.
    I Think last summer someone from the native community on the Kanetok was having trouble with some of the fishing guides, can any of you remember those posts?
    that is way down river though and should not affect the upper stretches..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I Think last summer someone from the native community on the Kanetok was having trouble with some of the fishing guides, can any of you remember those posts?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=kanektok

Dan
    I took care of the private message function.

Kevin

Good deal man. Often folks will share stuff via PM that they won't put out for the world to see. I sent you an email earlier.