Thread: Spend My Money

Default Spend My Money

To start, I am new to Alaska from Montana and have been a fan of Magnums for some time... Why, I don't know. I need (haha) a gun larger than a 30 caliber (my "big" gun is a 30-06) and am torn between a 8mm Remington Mag and a .340 Weatherby. Tell me what I need 'best' to hunt Alaskan game. I know that this is such an over kill topic but I just don't know what direction to take. I am thinking around a 200-240gr bullet. Availability is not a concern with either caliber.

Thanks

Nothing wrong with a .30.
    The 30-06 will kill everything that you find here. Provided you use a quality bullet and put it in the killing spot.

I have an 8 Rem Mag, among others. My go to gun has been the 8 for 30 years and no regrets. I just picked up an '06 last year and can't wait to try it out.

If you see a good price on an honest 8, pick it up, you won't be sorry.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

.338 WinMag, 225 grain Swift AFrame, you'll never regret it.

I would get a 375 H&H To go with your '06 that way your covered from Deer to Brown Bear.

325WSM, in a Winchester Extreme Weather. It's right were you want to be with out the awful recoil of some of the others. Worked well for me this year from the Salt to the Mountains. I have some great loads in both 200 and 220 grain. If in the Fairbanks area we can go to the range and shoot a few rounds. Won't say it is the best, but it has proven itself to me. We are way beyond the dating phase!!! My pet load is a 200 grain Accubond traveling at 3100 fps, nice flat shooting and hard hitting. The 325 uses 8mm bullets.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, something tells me your .06 pump gun is gonna get a lot of rest in the gun cabinet from here on out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Steve, something tells me your .06 pump gun is gonna get a lot of rest in the gun cabinet from here on out. lol
    Sold that old pump and bought the wife a Winchester Extreme Weather in 270WSM, those new FNH Winchesters are great rifles for the money!!!

Steve

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sold that old pump and bought the wife a Winchester Extreme Weather in 270WSM, those new FNH Winchesters are great rifles for the money!!!

Steve
    I hear you...I have a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, but it's never made it back to Alaska since I got my .338 in 2006. For some reason, that rifle feels like it was custom built for me, even though it's an off the shelf Ruger Model 77! I love all my guns, but my .338 most of all.

Good to see somebody else from Big Sky Country! In my opinion unless you are brown bear bound, your -06 should do fine.I shoot a .300 win mag and plan to take it for grizz. my friend and neighbor hunts with an -06 and has killed caribou sheep black bear moose and a brooks range gizz but if you are set on getting a new gun I cant help with that one but I wish you good luck and welcome to Alaska

I like my Remington 338 ultra mag. It's very accurate and delivers a mini-nuclear blast to any Alaskan animal. The shoulder bruises are pretty cool too!

I currently have a 338wm. I have owned it for about 10 years. If the 325wsm was available then I would have went that route. Love the short action and reduced weight of the rifle. Recoil in the 325wsm is slightly lighter than that of the 338wm thanks to modern science/technology. There is not much difference between the ballistics of the 325 and 338. Biggest difference would be the 338 can load some bullets heavier than 225 grains. I am seeing more of the newer designed bullets coming out in 325wsm before 338wm. No offence to the Weatherby fans but those calibers kick like a mule! Recoil does not generally bother me, but why manage it when you can enjoy shooting something else. Weatherby's calibers preform very well but in order to get them to he has to put a huge powder charge behind them and that creates the extremely sharp and quick hitting recoil. I too would recomend the new Winchester model 70 extreme weather. It has some great features. JMHO.

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

.338 is one of the most common rounds up here. I'd take that over the other two because you'll get way cheaper components and ammo.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by aksquirrel View Post
    I like my Remington 338 ultra mag. It's very accurate and delivers a mini-nuclear blast to any Alaskan animal. The shoulder bruises are pretty cool too!
    i had a client fire one of these off next to me a few years back.....its the only gun i've ever had to put my gun down and cover my ears for...i think i kept saying "what" for two days...darn muzzle breaks
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

If you can't make a 30 caliber work for you the solution would be to go straight for a 50 with all the bells and whistles. The 30-30, 30-06, and 300wm were the most used calibers for a long, long time.

.340 is a great caliber if you reload it's fairly Economical. .338 rum is in the same class it has incredible muzzle energy close in and great ballistic coefficiant for really long shots. Another to look at is the .358 STA is another to look at if you like the 8mm.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I think this will answer your question http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-rifle-caliber . Or should at least provide food for thought.

Thanks for the responses. I like to tell myself that I can handle large recoils, but the truth is I want to enjoy shooting the gun. I do hand load and will not be putting a break on the gun for the noise issues. I am going back to the drawing board and including the .325 WSM in the line up. Up till now, I haven't heard much first hand experience.

I had seen the poll, but wanted specific information and input on these calibers. I feel that "Most Popular" is not necessarily the best or most desired. A lot of people will swear by the gun that is in their closet because of either lack of resources or lack of interest to try new ideas. My favorite all around gun is a 30-06 and I know that it should kill everything in North America, but that is not the issue.

I have lots of bigger guns in my closet but time and time again I always take the 300 ultra mag worth looking at

There has been much discussion directly related to what you ask, a search of the .338WM for example should yield alot of first hand experience, even a little from me. I own and have hunted with a .30-06', the same goes for the .338WM, as is evident by my avatar. The poll I linked is in response to first hand experience of those cartridges I am sure.

The three most popular calibers listed in the poll are legitimate in respect to what is actualy used in the field, in alaska. In 34+ years of living and hunting here I have witnessed this and the results of those calibers on game. Those calibers are firmly established as a result of their capabilities, not merely by what is "most desired".

You asked, "Tell me what I need "best" to hunt alaskan big game." . With respect, I believe you are and have been answered, additionally, what I really think you want is justification to shoot a cartridge a little outside the "most popular", "most desired" realm. If you want a rifle to shoot such a cartridge such as you mentioned, go ahead and get it, for they are certainly worthy of your intentions.

Good luck making a choice, and my vote still goes to the .338WM .