Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .450 Marlin appears to be discontinued

Default .450 Marlin appears to be discontinued

Was reading something on another forum and they reported the .450 Marlin is no longer listed as being in production. Looked through Marlin's catalog myself and appears they are correct.

Surprised it lasted as long as it has because it didnt offer any advantage over the 45-70. If your a fan, good time to stock up on brass or pick up a rifle.
    Tennessee

Ever since Cerebus bought them things aren't the same...... To bad. I like having choices.

Ron

I waiting for the next run of brass to show up. I a pinch one could use shortened .458 cases and a spacer in the chamber to make up the difference in belt thickness.

I've got one of the Mdl 94 carbines in .450 that is a good reason for the .450 to exist. I don't think a .45-70 would fit on the 94 frame - at least they never made one.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Was reading something on another forum and they reported the .450 Marlin is no longer listed as being in production. Looked through Marlin's catalog myself and appears they are correct.

Surprised it lasted as long as it has because it didnt offer any advantage over the 45-70. If your a fan, good time to stock up on brass or pick up a rifle.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

That's certainly distressing if it's true. I'm still waiting to get mine back from Arctic Custom Guns. maybe I need to stock up on brass. The one comfort is the fact that I can use the same bullets that are made for the 45-70. Anyone have some .450 Marlin brass lying around?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

It solved a non problem much like the 480 ruger.I guess makers feel like we need hundreds of different round like basketball players need thousands of different sneekers.Keds and PF Flyers were plenty in my youth
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I personally think the introduction of the .450 Marlin cartridge gave a boost to the 45-70. Traditionalists flocked to the grand old 45-70 and discovered new power in modern actions. The 45-70 has a slight edge over the .450 Marlin in case capacity, so naturally it is the choice for those who like to squeeze out every last bit of velocity.

When the .450 marlin first became available, it's biggest claim to fame was the increased velocity and energy over traditional loadings in 45-70. For hand-loaders though, this is a non-issue. Ammo manufacturers as well have since introduced higher pressure options in 45-70, with plenty of warnings about what type of rifle they are safe to be fired in.

Does this make the .450 Marlin obsolete? It's quite possible. The .450 marlin may have been a niche cartridge which served only to complete the revival of an old favorite. The bullets, propellants and primers are the same between the two similar calibers. It stands to reason then, that if sales of rifles chambered in .450 Marlin decline, the caliber will become extinct.

I love mine, and I'm sure I'd love it just as much if it were chambered in 45-70. I just happened to get a good deal on it. I'll collect all the brass I can get my hands on, and it's unlikely I'll run out in my lifetime. I already have a few hundered cases. It might just be my first "rare" rifle someday.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I'd not worry...you can buy cartridges for rifles that have been out of production for decades. I'm sure Hornady will continue to produce ammo for some time to come.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AKsoldier:

I agree with your last post.

And, I don't think its disirable "to squeeze out every last bit of velocity" with either cartridge.

It's strong points are the large caliber and heavy bullet. It works well for what it is.

It seems pointless to me, to try and make it into a Long Range shooter.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    AKsoldier:

I agree with your last post.

And, I don't think its disirable "to squeeze out every last bit of velocity" with either cartridge.

It's strong points are the large caliber and heavy bullet. It works well for what it is.

It seems pointless to me, to try and make it into a Long Range shooter.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, we're on the same page. For modern purposes, both calibers shine in close quarters, but fall short when the range stretches much beyond 100 yards. 100 years ago, the 45-70 was used extensively for long-range shooting, but only because nothing existed at the time that was better for long-range work. I have a feeling some of those who used the 45-70 for long-range work back then could teach us a thing or two about marksmanship.

Today though, we have countless chamberings more suited to reaching out. That does not in any way relegate the aging big-bores to a dusty shelf, however. On the contrary - the modern high-zoot chamberings, through their weak close-range effectiveness on big game serve to spot-light the greatest strength of the heavy, slow big-bore cartridges like the 45-70 and the .450 Marlin. When you are facing certain death from a heavy, charging animal - sling a big, heavy, hard-cast bullet at it. If you hit it in the right spot, it will stop more effectively than with any other caliber or bullet combo. This has been proven through statistics compiled over many, many years.

Is it possible that another caliber with higher velocity and newer bullet construction will surpass the performance of "big and slow"? Yes. In fact, such an animal might already exist. But the effectiveness of the current crop of big-bores speak for themselves, and I will carry mine with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    That's certainly distressing if it's true. I'm still waiting to get mine back from Arctic Custom Guns. maybe I need to stock up on brass. The one comfort is the fact that I can use the same bullets that are made for the 45-70. Anyone have some .450 Marlin brass lying around?
    For brass I'd be checking the gun show that is coming up next weekend at the Wasilla High School.

And interesting you brought up Arctic Custom Guns as Bob has a rifle of mine for like a year now and have not heard from him. I need to get that back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    For brass I'd be checking the gun show that is coming up next weekend at the Wasilla High School.

And interesting you brought up Arctic Custom Guns as Bob has a rifle of mine for like a year now and have not heard from him. I need to get that back.
    I dropped off my 1895 back in Feb. 09. I'm going on two years now. I'm beginning to worry that he might have had a serious health problem. I hope he's okay.

I think browning still makes a blr in 450 marlin. I haven't seen a 2011 catelog yet.

I dropped off my 1895 back in Feb. 09. I'm going on two years now. I'm beginning to worry that he might have had a serious health problem. I hope he's okay.
    Correction - it was Feb. '08.

Correction - it was Feb. '08.
    That's not good. I'm calling him tomorrow to see what is up and to get my rifle back.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That's not good. I'm calling him tomorrow to see what is up and to get my rifle back.
    Good luck getting ahold of him. I've called his shop almost every day for the last two weeks, with no answer. His answering machine is full, and I even sent him a message on facebook. I went to the shop at least 6 times in the last two weeks, and he was never there. I haven't heard a thing from him. I hope that doesn't mean he's having some kind of serious health problem.

I sure like my Browning BLR in .450. Guess...once again, it'll be time to go "stock up" on ammo. It has become my "hunting gun" when i have a full freezer and require myself to get closer to the game.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It solved a non problem much like the 480 ruger.I guess makers feel like we need hundreds of different round like basketball players need thousands of different sneekers.Keds and PF Flyers were plenty in my youth
    Not quite, ruger merely failed in marketing the 480. What the 480 provides is big bore heavy bullet power at a recoil level that most folks can handle. They also should have offered factory ammo with a 400 gr hardcast at 1200 fps. At least the 480 cases can be made by trimming 475 linebaugh brass.

I could where management/marketing would come up with the 450 marlin idea, but it simply wasn't needed with the 45-70 loaded to it's potential on modern guns. The oddball fat belted case made it an orphan from day one, I'm also suprised it lasted as long as it did.

I haven't heard a thing from him. I hope that doesn't mean he's having some kind of serious health problem.
    I spoke with him about a week ago. He had just received some back surgery and is way behind and not taking any new work. Sucks for the guy, but I've had stuff there over a year too...gotta find someone new...

Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I spoke with him about a week ago. He had just received some back surgery and is way behind and not taking any new work. Sucks for the guy, but I've had stuff there over a year too...gotta find someone new...

Recommendations?
    Well if he just came out of back surgery I guess that explains why he's been so hard to get ahold of. I hope he recovers okay. If I can't reach him by this weekend, I'll look for him at the gun show. He usually has a table set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Not quite, ruger merely failed in marketing the 480. What the 480 provides is big bore heavy bullet power at a recoil level that most folks can handle. They also should have offered factory ammo with a 400 gr hardcast at 1200 fps. At least the 480 cases can be made by trimming 475 linebaugh brass.
    I agree with this. The .480 is a sensible increase in power over the 44Mag without the pain. It is optimal with a 400g bullet and provides as much if not more penetration than the 454casull. Hornady now makes a 400g XTP load at 110fps. A 325g load at 1400fps is a hammer on deer and no worse than shooting a 44mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast