Thread: 30/40 Krag bullet dia?

Off the road system,AK

Default 30/40 Krag bullet dia?

I just wanted to check and see as my reloading manual doesn't state it, does the 30/40 Krag use .30 cal projectiles? I'm assuming so... just wanted to be sure.

Tanana Valley AK

There is an article in the current issue of Handloader magazine you should check out.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.

Is it a 30, yes and in modern times .308 diameter but as I understand it .308' may or may not be true of the very old guns that were intended for cast lead bullets.
    On the web=
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

welfare state of Alaska

All the production commercial and military .30-40s were intended for .308-.309 diam. jacketed bullets. If I recall Pope and some others did made some target rifles chambered for the .30-40 that were intended for cast bullets.

In any even it is a good idea to slug the barrels old guns to check the diameter. In addition many of these older gun also have worn and rough bores - they may work better with .310 or .311 diam. bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Is it a 30, yes and in modern times .308 diameter but as I understand it .308' may or may not be true of the very old guns that were intended for cast lead bullets.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

My Krag is only so-so with factory jacketed loads, roughly 3-4" at 100 with open sights and old eyes. I tend to think the bore is contributing quite a bit to that group size, because it cuts groups in half to shoot .311 cast. I'm not sweating it, because for me it's mostly a 100 yard game gun that's just cool to use.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I never owned a Krag, and I regret not buying one of the Carbines, in the old days when they were cheap.

The 30-40 Cartridge seems like a Natural for Cast bullets, because of the long neck.

The Rim and the nicely tapered case, makes it very suitable for a Single Shot of some sort.

I shoot cast bullets in my 30-30s. The 30-40 is a bit more powerful. Heavier bullets at higher velocities.

Leastways, that's how I see it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Right on all counts, Smitty. It's a dandy cast bullet round, especially with heavier ones. I managed to pick up and "NRA" sporterized carbine probably from long ago. Trimmed stock, Marble sights and an ugly ventilated recoil pad. I really enjoy its "retro" look from an earlier era in shooting, and the price was certainly right. I picked it up 3 or 4 years ago for $125 from a gun shop. I bet there are still some floating around.