Thread: Do Pike Give Live Birth?

Default Do Pike Give Live Birth?

Just got back from ice fishing...

looks like pike for breakfast.

you are what you eat, right?

If you want to manage a watershed for pike, this is a perfect example of why you shouldn't wipe out all the big pike. Big pike eat little pike and if there are no big pike in the watershed you'll have a lake full of hammerhandles. In other words, the big fish keep the little fish in check. It's fine to keep a big one or two but selective harvest is the way to go if you want sustainability.

Willphish, thanks for sharing.

Maybe he was just hiding and the big one didnt seem to care if he hung out.

Pike eggs just stick to floats and are transferred to every lake around....Watch out Sand lake..

I find it interesting that it was swallowed tail first...... Was always told predator fish swallow their prey head first.

-Akiceman25

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I find it interesting that it was swallowed tail first...... Was always told predator fish swallow their prey head first.

-Akiceman25
    That is what i heard as well...Figures that this pike wanted to do things his(or her) way lol.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I suspect that the little pike didn't get the memo on the head first thing and decided to buck the trend and try and swim away from the bigger fish.... apparently not fast enough though...

I love the "newspaper" you're cleaning your fish on. ;-)

On the headfirst swallowing: Pike will attack several different ways. One method is to sneak in behind the prey, and suck in really hard. I saw it happen once, to my lure. The pike opened its mouth and flared its gills, and sucked the lure in so fast I didn't see it move. I'm assuming that's how this little guy ended up tail first in the belly. It was about 10" in a 29" pike's belly. When a pike decides to grab your lure like this, its a great thing- no worries about whether or not the hook is set!

The way we're more used to seeing pike eat when they grab bait is to grab it any ol which way, swim off a ways while crunching on it, either slowly swallowing it, or spitting it out to reverse its direction and swallow it headfirst.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Just got back from ice fishing...
    Negative. To the best of my knowledge, all fish are oviparous (egg layers). With the exception of some sharks which I believe are ovoviviparous (lay eggs, but the eggs hatch internally). That would an example of cannibalism. Very typical of pike. I have found many small pike inside the stomachs of larger pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Negative. To the best of my knowledge, all fish are oviparous (egg layers). With the exception of some sharks
    Guppies? Some do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

"If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

When I was in college I had an Amazon pike in the fish tank. Probably the coolest fish I've ever owned. I fed it live feeder fish and earthworms. I dumped three or four fish in the tank and stand back and watch! He would wade through those poor guys like they were nothing knocking the scales off as he went. But in this case if he caught one backwards he would spit it out and suck it back in headfirst. Then he would lay on the bottom of the tank opening his mouth wide to what looked like yawn and you can see all the fish just caught stacked in his stomach. Kind of creepy.

When I didn't have feeder fish, I would go out to the yard and pull out a big earthworm. Then I'd lift the lid to the tank holding the worm about an inch off the water. Without fail he would sneak up to a few inches under the water then burst out grabbing the worm! It was great fun and a moneymaker because I would bet guys a dollar they couldn't hold the worm and almost everyone would let go before he broke the surface.

Oh occasionally he'd get me too. You know how it is with aquariums sometimes plants float and you have to stick them back down in the gravel. I guess my fingers look like a worm..... It didn't hurt just surprised you and left a little red mark.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

So willphish, where abouts did you land that fine specimen of a Northern?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    So willphish, where abouts did you land that fine specimen of a Northern?
    Ha Ha yeah right he aint givin up his honey hole

dog sharks give live birth.....its crazy when you catch a 4ft dog shark, open it up, and find 15 live baby sharks in it, we just put em in the water and off they go......theyll live in a bucket of saltwater for like a week.

Release Lake Trout

Pike lay eggs.