Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer King Derby

Default Homer King Derby

Charter Captains and private boat owners I have a proposition for you. If you take me out for the derby I promise you 20% of the prize money, along w/ the honor of standing w/ me on the winners podium. Seriously folks, I have a good feeling about this and guarantee victory. muttley quit talking to me, homerDave has a boatload, and Kodiakcombo won't return my calls. I would love to put AkCapt/Crackerjack charters boat on the trailer and drag it around to Homer and show those boys how its really done but I dunno how he feels about it Maybe Pete/Spoiledone wants to be famous.
    Whoever has a decent boat, hit me up lets rip Homer a new one, Whatcha say?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Winter King Derby
    What is the date for the derby this year ?I need to look a little further on the calender to start making plans.
    Fullbush-----unbelievable generosity on your part........

If I go over and fish it and don't win, then I can't talk smack on here anymore...What fun would that be....

Default OK, I'll nibble, not bite, just nibble

The derby is set for the 19th. That's a little far off for a firm commitment in my line of work, but I have made 6 of the last 7 derbies. 3 of those I did solo when my partners had to bail. Couldn't have had anything to do with the major storms/cold snaps blowing in.
    All 6 were well worth the trip down.

Now, on to your proposition: What do you bring to the table?

Are you proficient at trolling? I am not so much. 2 kings in 6 years is not worth bragging about. I have picked up more halibut trolling than kings.

Do you drive a boat? I like to putter around.

Can you help get the 2 AOD burgees that I paid for and never heard of again?

Do you have access to fresh herring?

Do we split any fish brought on board? I am getting low.

When we are on the podium, can we make it look like it is my fish? Grandma wants a picture.

Here's the Right Of Way at the Derby in '09.

24' SeaSport. 4 downriggers, 2 electric. Crappy sounder/chart plotter. (Got one of those?)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    If I go over and fish it and don't win, then I can't talk smack on here anymore...What fun would that be....
    "GUARANTEE" comprende?

hey fullbush. the deal on the Blackfish is the boat fishes, and the crew splits any winnings evenly.
    not that we've had any yet, but i have caught more kings on derby day then the number of derbies i've fished.
    i think this will be my 7th or 8th derby.
    bound to catch a contender this year!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

These are the type of threads I love to read! I love the confidence Fullbush. This will be my first derby, but I'm pretty sure I'll take you all. I don't want to give away my strategy, but it'll involve my binocs and a pirate flag!

I can attest to Homerdave's fishing abilities. He was kind enough to invite me on his boat last season and we had a great time. The blackfish just has good king Karma. Good luck this year Dave.

Bullbuster, you need a partner just let me know. I'll bring the beer. Just ask Dave

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I can attest to Homerdave's fishing abilities. He was kind enough to invite me on his boat last season and we had a great time. The blackfish just has good king Karma. Good luck this year Dave.

Bullbuster, you need a partner just let me know. I'll bring the beer. Just ask Dave
    I would go w/ HomerDave in a heartbeat!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    The derby is set for the 19th. That's a little far off for a firm commitment in my line of work, but I have made 6 of the last 7 derbies. 3 of those I did solo when my partners had to bail. Couldn't have had anything to do with the major storms/cold snaps blowing in.
    All 6 were well worth the trip down.

Now, on to your proposition: What do you bring to the table?

Are you proficient at trolling? I am not so much. 2 kings in 6 years is not worth bragging about. I have picked up more halibut trolling than kings.

Do you drive a boat? I like to putter around.

Can you help get the 2 AOD burgees that I paid for and never heard of again?

Do you have access to fresh herring?

Do we split any fish brought on board? I am getting low.

When we are on the podium, can we make it look like it is my fish? Grandma wants a picture.

Here's the Right Of Way at the Derby in '09.

24' SeaSport. 4 downriggers, 2 electric. Crappy sounder/chart plotter. (Got one of those?)
    I bring a lot to the table...
    1.No I'm not proficient at trolling
    2. Yes I drive a boat I probably got more sea time as a Captain than all 34,000 members here.
    3. I never got my AOD burgee either
    4.Yes i can provide fresh herring
    5. You can have all the fish we bring aboard, except for the derby winner,(20%)
    6. You can take a picture w/ my fish for granny!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    muttley quit talking to me,
    Interesting statement. I didn't "quit talking to you". I have a full boat.

And a very interesting statement as Mark says. You want someone to volunteer to take you out on their boat and you're willing to share 20% of the prize money. Now I'm tempted to kick everyone off my boat so I can get that whopping 20%!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

And a very interesting statement as Mark says. You want someone to volunteer to take you out on their boat and you're willing to share 20% of the prize money. Now I'm tempted to kick everyone off my boat so I can get that whopping 20%!
    I think sharing the prize money when fishing with downriggers is a good policy since on my boat we just take turns anyway. It sounds equitable and fair from my perspective. I am dissapointed that I may miss this year's derby since I am restoring an old ford truck....Oh well, I at least I don't have all the stress of worrying about what I am going to do with the prize money

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

woohoo buddy you're back on board! Heck Mut I'd go 50% if you took me. Just think of the publicity!

We always figure that it takes three to fish the derby, one to drive, one to play the fish, and one to net it.
    No taking turns, just grab the rod when it trips....
    Usually i fish singlehanded or with just one other person, but the derby is so crowded you need someone to drive if you are hooked up.

Took mutt off ignore, he hadn't earned it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    woohoo buddy you're back on board! Heck Mut I'd go 50% if you took me. Just think of the publicity!
    Muttley and Fullbush on the same boat. Now THATS a bad idea! If their real personalities are anything like what they are on the board, someone would end up in jail or dead, or both.

In regards to the comment about sharing fish. I sometimes do this to make things equible, but I had a charter captain tell me once that this is illegal. I think the line of the law is that you cannot take people out and make them all agree that 'this is the deal, we are sharing fish caught'. If at the end of the charter, people want to split the fish up evenly, then that is their choice to gift fish to others. In the case of going out and getting small halibut and one big one, if the person that catches the one big one wants to keep it all, that is there choice so anything else is just a gentlemans agreement. Please correct me if I have this wrong.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    In regards to the comment about sharing fish. I sometimes do this to make things equible, but I had a charter captain tell me once that this is illegal. I think the line of the law is that you cannot take people out and make them all agree that 'this is the deal, we are sharing fish caught'.
    Uh, if this is directed at me, I am not a charter.

You are suppose to catch your own fish and not give them to other members in your group. Once the fish are off the boat and process you can then give them away. I do not think that it matters if you are on a charter or private boat.

Weird tangential hijack...
    We are fishing.
    Angler "A" grabs a rod with a fish on, angler "C" nets the fish at the boat while angler "B" steers around the other boats...
    The fish is angler A's fish. At the end of the derby, Angler A has a winning fish. It is his fish. He splits the winnings amongst all on the boat because they all played a part in landing the fish. as long as no one angler lands more that 2 salmon everything is fine.
    End of story.

I have a 15 foot Zodie - you will have to split fuel and BOB (bring your own blanket) though.......

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Weird tangential hijack...
    We are fishing.
    Angler "A" grabs a rod with a fish on, angler "C" nets the fish at the boat while angler "B" steers around the other boats...
    The fish is angler A's fish. At the end of the derby, Angler A has a winning fish. It is his fish. He splits the winnings amongst all on the boat because they all played a part in landing the fish. as long as no one angler lands more that 2 salmon everything is fine.
    End of story.
    It seems simple enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Muttley and Fullbush on the same boat. Now THATS a bad idea! If their real personalities are anything like what they are on the board, someone would end up in jail or dead, or both.
    Actually I disagree. Mut seems like a peaceful enough guy and I know I am. I think we'd knock the bottom out of the king salmon population is what I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast