Thread: New To The Forum......

Default New To The Forum......

Hey guys....been lurking for a month or so.....ever since the wife and I decided to return to Alaska for vacation. Finally signed up and just wanted to introduce myself. I am Tennessee borned and bred....north of Nashville in Clarksville, Tn...near Fort Campbell, Ky - Home of the Screaming Eagles.

I will be in Homer the 20th - 28th of May 2011 and will be fishing a 22' HewesCraft while I am there. It will be my second time to Alaska (2005) but we kind of did a "whirlwind" tour of Alaska then - Seward, Homer, Denali and Anchorage. We loved Homer to the point we decided it is the only place we are going this time. Fished for Halibut and Salmon then with what I would call success using Charters. This time I want to do it on my own.......At least for the Halibut. If I do some Salmon fishing I think i want to do a charter drift on one of the rivers.

I have been researching past posts and have answered several questions already. Probably the most encouraging thing I have learned through that research is that there are some quality individuals on this forum that are gracious enough to help others. I am going to ask for some of that help to catch fish and stay out of trouble, both legally and safety wise. In return I will try not to post questions that I can get the answer for with my own due diligence.

I have NOAA Chart 16640 and will study it......but it is information overload right now. It contains significantly more information than the Navigation Charts for the rivers around Tennessee.

Thanks in advance, P-geek

Welcome. I used to have kinfolk just a little west of you. All gone east to the shores of the big pond now. Once you get you your eyes accustomed to that NOAA chart, you'll find yourself wishing it had more info on it than it does. It's a good starting point though.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Physiksgeek View Post
    Hey guys....been lurking for a month or so.....ever since the wife and I decided to return to Alaska for vacation. Finally signed up and just wanted to introduce myself. I am Tennessee borned and bred....north of Nashville in Clarksville, Tn...near Fort Campbell, Ky - Home of the Screaming Eagles.

I will be in Homer the 20th - 28th of May 2011 and will be fishing a 22' HewesCraft while I am there. It will be my second time to Alaska (2005) but we kind of did a "whirlwind" tour of Alaska then - Seward, Homer, Denali and Anchorage. We loved Homer to the point we decided it is the only place we are going this time. Fished for Halibut and Salmon then with what I would call success using Charters. This time I want to do it on my own.......At least for the Halibut. If I do some Salmon fishing I think i want to do a charter drift on one of the rivers.

I have been researching past posts and have answered several questions already. Probably the most encouraging thing I have learned through that research is that there are some quality individuals on this forum that are gracious enough to help others. I am going to ask for some of that help to catch fish and stay out of trouble, both legally and safety wise. In return I will try not to post questions that I can get the answer for with my own due diligence.

I have NOAA Chart 16640 and will study it......but it is information overload right now. It contains significantly more information than the Navigation Charts for the rivers around Tennessee.

Thanks in advance, P-geek
    When you get here and would like some "one-on-one" help with any aspect of rigging your boat, see exactly how I rig things, places to go and anything along those lines, I'd be happy to get together with you and help you out. So please don't hesitate to ask. If I'm not out on a charter I'd love to be of service. PM me if you'd like my help.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

iofthetaiga - well there you go.....I may be your kinfolk....lol! I am a Marine/Army Brat and a Navy Veteran but Middle Tennessee is where I call home. I lived in Wilmington, N.C. for a year or so through High School when my Stepfather retired from Ft. Bragg to there. I was an East Coast Sailor stationed on two destroyers - U.S.S. John Hancock out of Mayport, Fla and the U.S.S. Thorn out of Charleston, S.C. so I got a hint of East Coast in me.....it just did not stick I guess!?!

Man..I hope I learn the charts to someday say there is not enough info on them......whoooweee! They probably have the same info as the local charts here.......just a whole lot more of it. For example I look at the local Cumberland River chart and there may only be 3 or 4 contour lines on the left and the right of the main channel with depths between 5 and 45 feet. Heck, 0n 16640 there are that many leaving Coal Point....lol! To me these NOAA charts for Alaska are a real tool.

Muttley - I appreciate your offer and I can tell you now I will accept it on some level.....I am just not sure what that looks like..........by that I mean I am still figuring out what my limitations with the boat itself will be (traveling in K-bay or Cook Inlet, distances, locations, # of fishing days, etc.) and what I can do maximize the experience within those limitations. As far as PM's I have not tried it but I have read that newer forum members can not PM(?) I know I can not post attachments because it says I can not in my "posting permissions". Look forward to talking to you regardless.....

Thanks, P-geek

iofthetaiga - well there you go.....I may be your kinfolk....lol! I am a Marine/Army Brat and a Navy Veteran but Middle Tennessee is where I call home. I lived in Wilmington, N.C. for a year or so through High School when my Stepfather retired from Ft. Bragg to there. I was an East Coast Sailor stationed on two destroyers - U.S.S. John Hancock out of Mayport, Fla and the U.S.S. Thorn out of Charleston, S.C. so I got a hint of East Coast in me.....it just did not stick I guess!?!

Man..I hope I learn the charts to someday say there is not enough info on them......whoooweee! They probably have the same info as the local charts here.......just a whole lot more of it. For example I look at the local Cumberland River chart and there may only be 3 or 4 contour lines on the left and the right of the main channel with depths between 5 and 45 feet. Heck, 0n 16640 there are that many leaving Coal Point....lol! To me these NOAA charts for Alaska are a real tool.

Muttley - I appreciate your offer and I can tell you now I will accept it on some level.....I am just not sure what that looks like..........by that I mean I am still figuring out what my limitations with the boat itself will be (traveling in K-bay or Cook Inlet, distances, locations, # of fishing days, etc.) and what I can do maximize the experience within those limitations. As far as PM's I have not tried it but I have read that newer forum members can not PM(?) I know I can not post attachments because it says I can not in my "posting permissions". Look forward to talking to you regardless.....

Thanks, P-geek
    I think you can still email me, but I'm not sure about that. If not, just ask away here and I'll be more than happy to share whatever knowledge I can. I spent about the first 5 years I lived in AK without a forum like this one and had to figure things out by the seat of my pants. My whole purpose here is to be able to help someone NOT have to spend 5 years figuring it out for themselves. And beware. As you've probably seen there are a select few people here that for some unknown reason seem to like disputing anything and everything I have to say. You'll learn very quickly who those people are. So take what you hear here with a grain of salt. I've fished Alaskan waters for 20 years now and have learned the hard way about a lot of things and just want to make sure people like you don't have to learn the hard way.

And you are correct that you don't have "PM" privileges yet, but I do believe you can send me message though if you just click on my name. I'm always happy to chat that way, too.

Default It has not gone without notice.....

Muttley - what you describe is on just about every forum I am a member of.......from hunting/fishing forums to quilting forums....errr......I meant to just think that last one.....

I am going to stay out of it for several reasons but the biggest reason that I have found is that a lot of times it can be about personality conflicts which have nothing to do with a persons abilities or at the very least their knowledge.......

I will certainly shoot you a question in the future as I figure things out....

Thanks, P-geek

Welcome Physics-Geek (now how'd that happen to a middle Tenn boy?) I got to AK by way of the south myself, B'ham Ala to be specific. Well, you came to the right place for lots of guidance and opinions, and I've found a good many of them to be extremely helpful myself.

One thing I will caution you that I've learned the hard way...use the gps whenever underway, not the sounder, and watch it for ROCKS...there are lots of them that are not on the charts in Prince William Sound where I boat, and some can be a 1/4 mile from shore where you'd think it would be deep....they show up as astericks on the GPS (and on the charts if they are there...) and those *'s can wreak havoc with your props, lower units or hull! Usually the GPS will show blue water or some other color code that means SHALLOW but the rocks can also be outside the shallow areas.

Oh yeah...the tide comes in the tide goes out...never stops so don't pull up on shore for lunch and a hike with a 22' boat or you might be there for about 12 hours! Are you planning on towing this boat all the way up? I've done that twice from Idaho, it's a great drive and no problem but you might want to check out the many past threads on towing up the AK hwy!

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 01-09-2011 at 16:44. Reason: used wrong word

Default I Am Working Through It........

Cap'n Ron - are you asking about the Physic's or the Geek? The Physic's I had control over, it is my UnderGrad degree. The Geek is something I had no control over......I acquired that years ago from some very mean kids. My counselor says I need to work through it and move on.....you know, just let it go.......

That is all good info......no ones wants a repair bill as a souvenir! Because of that whole tide "in and out" thing I have pretty much ruled out clamming unless there is a different way of doing it without becoming stranded like you speak of.

Roll Tide.........!

Thanks, P-geek

Just goofing around...good answer! Lots of ways to avoid the tide problems...like having a tender. If there are razor clams available, worth looking into!

And....sorry but WAR EAGLE, especially tomorrow!

Because of that whole tide "in and out" thing I have pretty much ruled out clamming unless there is a different way of doing it without becoming stranded like you speak of.
    Well, you could just bring a shovel to Clam Gulch and dig a few for dinner one night.....

Muttley - what you describe is on just about every forum I am a member of.......from hunting/fishing forums to quilting forums....errr......I meant to just think that last one.....

I am going to stay out of it for several reasons but the biggest reason that I have found is that a lot of times it can be about personality conflicts which have nothing to do with a persons abilities or at the very least their knowledge.......
    Ohhhhhhhh, now I see. YOU'RE the one that's been giving me all that grief on my favorite quilting forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    And....sorry but WAR EAGLE, especially tomorrow!
    Being an SEC fan I can sign up for that.....GO WAR EAGLES! Man.......when they pull off that win tonight that will be 5 years running for the SEC. I don't care who you are, that is impressive!

P-geek

T.R Bauer - Yeah Clam Gulch on Saturday is just about a done deal.....or somewhere along that coast. From the boat I am not going to risk it I guess. We are planning on riding back that direction on Saturday and hitting the beaches in search of a few for dinner. Obviously with a name like Clam Gulch it ought to be pretty good but do you think Clam Gulch is the best chance or is there a place closer to Homer that would produce 15-20 clams?

Thanks, P-geek

Default Quilting Is An Art Form.......

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Ohhhhhhhh, now I see. YOU'RE the one that's been giving me all that grief on my favorite quilting forum!
    Muttley - You still want to help now that you figured that out......?

I shot you a test email by clicking on your name......I think?!? Receive anything?

P-geek

Muttley - You still want to help now that you figured that out......?

I shot you a test email by clicking on your name......I think?!? Receive anything?

P-geek
    Sure did. I'll reply to it in a little while.

T.R Bauer - Yeah Clam Gulch on Saturday is just about a done deal.....or somewhere along that coast. From the boat I am not going to risk it I guess. We are planning on riding back that direction on Saturday and hitting the beaches in search of a few for dinner. Obviously with a name like Clam Gulch it ought to be pretty good but do you think Clam Gulch is the best chance or is there a place closer to Homer that would produce 15-20 clams?

Thanks, P-geek
    Clam Gulch is pretty darn good on any minus tide. It wouldn't surprise me that one could get into enough clams right on the spit (check the regs though as there are some restrictions due to size, number, and species) in Homer as last summer my son was digging them up right in front of the RV park over by the Napa store just north of the spit. He was doing pretty well too before the wife stopped him as he has asthma. I was out fishing with my brother in Compass Rose so I don't know how long he was at it, but he got enough for dinner....at least his anyway LOL...At any rate, I often stop at Clam on the way home from Homer if the tide is out to put a few in the cooler for dinner. Good luck to you and have a great trip.

Default I appreciate that T.R.

.....both the info and the good tidings! I think I would probably like a Littleneck or a Butter clam better just because of the way you prepare them versus a Razor. But, being from the South though I think I can get by with something fried just as well. Heck, add some gravy to it and it is on like Donkey Kong.

I have seen the regs for Littleneck and Butter clams so I am aware of them.....but since I am concentrating on the fishing right now I am not proficient at what they are just yet. I just got to figure out if I can get to them easy enough and I can stay within the regs of course. North of the Spit seems easy enough to me.

Thanks, P-geek

Default Cap'n Ron........?

You got what you wanted looks like......WAR EAGLES!

P-geek

Default Mostly I wanted a great game too!

Yeah, Auburn won, and I really enjoyed the game, the teams both played up to their national rankings, it was a nailbiter and thoroughly enjoyed it! Good, clean game and even the officials did well compared to some of the other bowl games!

Say, lots of ways to fix razors & other clams without deep frying, although pan frying is common with razors, there is a food recipe section here, maybe we'll both check it out, but if you get razors, take all the necks and feet, put them in a blender with ritz crackers, eggs, and a little of your favorite spice, grind them up, it should be pretty thick, make into patties like crab cakes...yum!