Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you float the upper Kenai I need

Default If you float the upper Kenai I need

If you float the upper kenai river I need to get some information.
    What I need is .. how you handle your shuttle.
    Do you bring two vehicles down with you from Anchorage or the valley?
    Do you hire a shuttle company to do it for you?
    Do you thumb a ride or bum a ride back to your vehicle at the bridge or sportsman from Jims ?
    Would like to know how you guys do it.?
    I would also like everyone that does float the river to respond even though someone else may have already posted as doing same thing as you do for your shuttle.
    Thanks in advance
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have only floated from Sportsman to Jim's and these are the ways I have got back to my jeep:
    -Well I have been there to meet a friend so we had 2 vehicles
    -I have thumbed it back to my car
    -Found some people to share rides with down there

Max
    When I'm fishing alone I just thumb it back from Jim's.
    I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a lift.
    During Fishapalooza we have a bunch of guys and do our own shuttle thing.

I either thumb a ride or pay the extra $ for a shuttle from Wildmans. Only ever had to wait once for a long time hitching for a ride (about 30mins). Lots of vehicles just were all full.

You said everyone... so, when ever I fly up, I rent a car that is used primarily as the shuttle vehicle and my bud parks his boat at Sportsmans and I follow him down to Jims and drive back to Sportsmans to launch. July can't come soon enough!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Hey Max,
    Are you thinking of starting a shuttle service yourself ?
    For those that are pulling out a Jim's Landing it is pretty simple to walk out to the Sterling Highway at Skilak Lake Rd. and catch a ride with someone who is doing the same lower drift.When your wearing waders,a fishing vest,and your lucky hat it is obvious what your intent is.Many times I've been offered a ride or have given a ride to someone who has "the look".There have been a few times I've had to get creative to get that ride.Probably cause I was anxious to get to my boat and get on the water.Meeting new folk was part of the fun.

I use wildmans when doing the bridge to jims......I usually just thumb a ride when doing sportmans to jims
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Max,

We typically float once a year through to Skilak, with a full boat of kids so fishing is secondary on the trip. Therefore, there is usually a volunteer or two (wives) who would rather stay behind and have some time away from the kids, so they tend to be the shuttle service. Otherwise, we have taken two vehicles and stash one at the takeout.

-hiker

Thumb, buddy shuttle, or wildman's.

I prefer launching from the lake. That takes a bit of patience when using the thumb. @ Sportsman's, talking to folks in the launch area usually secures a ride prior to driving to Jim's.

Another shuttle would be great. Wildman's charges a little too much IMHO.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

The whole fishery sounds like a circus

I thumb or bring a bike
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have a private shuttle.

A nice fellow from Yellerknife

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If its just my wife and I, I pay for the shuttle.

If it's me on the sticks and a friend floating with me they pay for the shuttle.

I have not hitched yet, but I will always pick up anyone who needs a lift.

I don't really like the idea of leaving my boat unattended while I go hitch a ride with someone and come back to find hundreds of dollars in gear missing. Or even worse my boat is making an unmaned trip through the canyon.

I met my brother-in-law at Jim's once, he had a car and I drove too because we were coming from opposite directions. We dropped his car off at Jim's and then drove my truck to Sportsman's. I would rather pay the shuttle fee then do that again. It was a really busy day at sportsman's and I had to wait in line to get through to the gate attendant so I could explain that I was just dropping one vehicle off to pick up my truck and that I would be back to wait in line again to pick up my brother-in-law's car. It probubly added a good 45 minutes to an hour.

Hope that helps!

I drop the wife and boat at the launch site, then take the vehicle to the takeout (usually Jim's) and catch a ride with someone leaving Jim's. I almost always have a ride by the time I walk to the hiway. By the time I get back to put in the wife has the boat inflated/organized and ready to roll. When we get done with the float, the vehicle is right at the takeout and we dont have to worry about catching a ride or the time it will take to get back.

I've only floated it once with a friend in his cataraft. We drove his truck/trailer and my van to the upper Skilak campground after launching the boat at the Quartz Creek campground. We returned to Quartz Creek in the van, and the 5 of us then motored to the river, floated to Skilak Lake, then motored to the upper campground where his crew cab truck was waiting for us. We all camped at Quartz Creek. It was October, after the Quartz Creek campground was officially "closed".

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've only floated the kenai twice in two years, both times we had two vehicles there for other purposes than to shuttle, but it was convenient to have our own shuttle.

I've used a bike on most of the other rivers I've floated.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

-Dan

I had no idea there was such a thing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

USUALLY we camp at Quartz. My wife drives the dog & I to Sportsmans & drops us off. Then she picks us up at Jims. The only problem with this is that that puts the dog & I on a "schedule" - we HAVE to get to Jim's in time to catch our ride.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

"By the time I get back to put in the wife has the boat inflated/organized and ready to roll. When we get done with the float, the vehicle is right at the takeout and we dont have to worry about catching a ride or the time it will take to get back. "
    Hey COD
    My wife is my main fishing partner also,but I think I might need to train her up a little more.Do you put your wife on the sticks ?How about the clean-up after the trip ?Can she handle a fillet knife?
    Im just messing with ya dude.........Hope you and your wife have a great year on the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast