Thread: New Rifle

Default New Rifle

After waiting 6 months I finally got my new cooper rifle in a 338-06. I put a Leupold 3.5x10.40 only, because with the mounts a 2.5x8x32 was to short of a scope. I can't wait to get out onMonday and shot it. I plan on shooting 210 partition behind IMR 4320. Cooper Rifle.jpg

Congrats on the new rifle!! I can't wait to see some targets once you get some loads worked up.

I assume that it is a Zeiss 2.5x8x32 that didn't work out? You interested in getting rid of it?

Nice! Always good to hear of another 338-06 being born. Enjoy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I love the 338-06. I've got a great shooting load with the 185 TTSX. Can break clay pigeons at 300 yards easily. It's a great round and easy to load for. I've had good luck with TAC and IMR 4064. Going to give RL17 a try with some 210s and 225s. Have a blast.

Congratulations on your new rifle. My Cooper is a 30-06 and it would be the last rifle I sold if mine had to go. Hope you like yours half as much as I like mine.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    After waiting 6 months I finally got my new cooper rifle in a 338-06. I put a Leupold 3.5x10.40 only, because with the mounts a 2.5x8x32 was to short of a scope. I can't wait to get out onMonday and shot it. I plan on shooting 210 partition behind IMR 4320.
    That's an extremely nice rifle in a very practical cartridge. Congrats!

IMO, you should never apologize for using a 3.5-10X40 Leupold. It may well be their ultimate variable scope and it certainly is a good fit for a 338/06.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    That's an extremely nice rifle in a very practical cartridge. Congrats!

IMO, you should never apologize for using a 3.5-10X40 Leupold. It may well be their ultimate variable scope and it certainly is a good fit for a 338/06.
    I do like the scope I just wanted to put a 2.5x8x32 on it. I don't think that I really need a 10 power, as I really only plan to shoot 300 yards with the rifle. My only fear is that it will shot as good as they say and I will want more. I have been eyeing up a 280 AI that they make. They are expensive, but if you figure by the time you get all the stuff to a off the shelf rifle you will be paying almost the same amount of money. They do offer a good discount for military, but you have to go though the factory; which is not a problem a s they have great customer service. Once I get to the range and get the barrel broke in and get to know the rifle I will post some pictures of targets.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    Once I get to the range and get the barrel broke in and get to know the rifle I will post some pictures of targets.
    When I bought my Cooper, I called them to ask about the barrel break in and what they said in the information packet that comes with the rifle. I was told that there is nothing at all wrong with breaking in the barrel if you want to do that, but the rifle really does not need it. All Cooper barrels have been lapped so just clean it first and then fire it.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Talk to the customer service people about handloads as well. You have a super gun there. I have one in 06 with wood. I might think about having it cerrakoted. However, if you treat your rifle like you do your women then just go forth and slay!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Very, very nice!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Very nice looking shooting iron.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great cartridge, fine looking rifle, very nice set up. You should have a lot of fun with that rifle and it should be really accurate. Congrats and enjoy
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS