Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Predator Shows

  1. #1
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default Predator Shows

    OK, couple of things. I'm not trying to start a flame thread and I'M NOT TRASHING ANYONE, BUT...I was watching a predator show last night that I had saved on the DVR. It's from a very popular electronic call maker. They were hunting coyotes in Alberta. On one shot he hits the coyote and half the fur on him goes flying in the air and you can see the swath down the side of the yote as he takes off and "I missed him, just barely touched him". I'm like, wow, you call that a miss!??? That's a wounded critter and I guess it bothers me when someone just blows it off like no biggie. It never seems that they say, man, I made a bad shot and feel bad about it. I know it's a lowly coyote but. I saw an archery show one time, they were hunting gators and this guy makes a shot right by the boat and sticks this gator with a bad shot, I did freeze frame and he hit it bigger than you know what, like 10 yards from the boat and turns to the camera and says "I missed him" unbelievable. He says he totally missed him clean. The other thing I noticed in the original coyote show is the shooter was resting the barrel on his shooting sticks not the forend. He was missing quite a few shots and missing pretty bad. If you are putting upward pressure on the barrel, thats going to happen. I was just surprised to see this kind of stuff by supposed "Pros". What do you guys think?...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  2. #2

    Default

    I try not to point the finger, because it just makes the anti-hunter's job so much easier. Libs get crazy when they smell blood in the water.
    The reality is, those coyotes are ruthless predators, and will kill other animals in horrible ways.
    I can tell by your post your not stiring the pot, just offering an honest opinion without judging others.
    To each their own, but IMHO, arguements/disagreements between hunters strengthen the anti's position. In these times we need to stick together.
    Not saying we should all turn a bind eye, but maybe tolerate other hunters ways of doing things as they do yours.
    Just my .02 cents, barely worth that!

  3. #3

    Default

    I seen the show also... I am thinking that we need to get together and make a call... I am sure that I am not going to miss as much as he did.. Yeah he did shoot about 5... but missed much more... maybe he needs to go back to the basics of shooting and then go from there... not trying to stir the pot either... i watch a lot of hunting shows... tell me who up here is going to get a semi good shot on an animal and then let them sit ALL night... I am getting on the phone and calling my buds to bring their flashlight... I am not going to leave an animal laying out there if I have good blood.. yes I will give them time... But 12 hours... come on...

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    OK, couple of things. I'm not trying to start a flame thread and I'M NOT TRASHING ANYONE, BUT...I was watching a predator show last night that I had saved on the DVR. It's from a very popular electronic call maker. They were hunting coyotes in Alberta. On one shot he hits the coyote and half the fur on him goes flying in the air and you can see the swath down the side of the yote as he takes off and "I missed him, just barely touched him". I'm like, wow, you call that a miss!??? That's a wounded critter and I guess it bothers me when someone just blows it off like no biggie. It never seems that they say, man, I made a bad shot and feel bad about it. I know it's a lowly coyote but. I saw an archery show one time, they were hunting gators and this guy makes a shot right by the boat and sticks this gator with a bad shot, I did freeze frame and he hit it bigger than you know what, like 10 yards from the boat and turns to the camera and says "I missed him" unbelievable. He says he totally missed him clean. The other thing I noticed in the original coyote show is the shooter was resting the barrel on his shooting sticks not the forend. He was missing quite a few shots and missing pretty bad. If you are putting upward pressure on the barrel, thats going to happen. I was just surprised to see this kind of stuff by supposed "Pros". What do you guys think?...
    I think you said it. But I also think those bozos wouldn't be on TV pulling stupid stunts like that if there wasn't a huge market for it. Makes me glad I don't have a TV, and am not contributing to it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I was just surprised to see this kind of stuff by supposed "Pros". What do you guys think?...
    I think that they are more professional personalities than they are professional hunters. If the host is who I think you are talking about you could pull him out of the woods and have him selling oxyclean without any problems

  6. #6
    Member Stanly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    In these times we need to stick together. Not saying we should all turn a bind eye, but maybe tolerate other hunters ways of doing things as they do yours.
    I respectfully disagree. I understand everyone has their own ethical standards, I do. But I can't/won't tolerate this type of behavior. He clearly shot an animal and said he missed it. This yote is half naked. It might be easier if you saw this show. This kid hits this coyote, it looked like a pillow that explodes during a pillow fight. I mean half the fur on this yote comes off and the kid says he missed him? This show violated every standard there is as far as I'm concerned. "We" as hunters and sportsman have to stand together and "not" tolerate this when it happens. I got the "it's a show, they're trying to promote a product, they only have 30 min, maybe they looked when the camera wasn't rolling etc...Then say that, let me know as a hunter that you looked for the animal. Let me know it isn't just about how many times you can pull the trigger in 30 minues. As I mentioned with regard to his use of the shooting sticks, he was missing by several feet and it was because he has the barrel resting on the sticks not the forend. I'm just surprised the company would let stuff like this go to air. I would not want this kid representing my company/product/image. Do they not look at it before it goes national? As far as the coyote killing other critters in horrible ways, their just doin what they do. I love hunting them, but it's no different than watching a lion or bear eat young cubs, pretty disturbing, but it's what they do, they're all part of the food chain, Mother Nature isn't always pretty. Maybe they're using this young man to bring other young people to the sport, I don't know. But I would think they'd want to show "how to do it" not "not how to do it". The overall impression I got from watching this was this kid truly did not know "the basics" of shooting, he clearly hit an animal and then tries to tell me I didn't see what I saw. There was no effort to look for this yote, no mention that they tried to look for this yote, just "I missed him, barely grazed him" and let's move on to the next one. YHEA RIGHT, OK whatever you say. I was very disappointed. Maybe this is the Boss' kid or something but like I said he needs to learn something about his craft before he goes in front of a camera and national audience and speak like he knows what he's doing because he clearly does not. I will probably email the company and let them know how I feel about it. Very disappointing.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

  7. #7

    Default

    Good thread with great points.
    Don't worry, there are thousands in Washington who feel just like you do, and will be happy to make sure no one does ANY of this again.
    As a trapper, I get people who say what I do is unethical, but I disagree. I always try to do the right thing.
    My point, this is a slippery slope, which can result in our rights as hunters being lost. Do you really want to contribute to that?

    The show(which I have seen), is done in poor taste. So is ballroom dancing, but that doesn't mean it should be ended!

  8. #8
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I understand everyone has their own ethical standards, I do. But I can't/won't tolerate this type of behavior. He clearly shot an animal and said he missed it. This yote is half naked. It might be easier if you saw this show. This kid hits this coyote, it looked like a pillow that explodes during a pillow fight. I mean half the fur on this yote comes off and the kid says he missed him? This show violated every standard there is as far as I'm concerned. "We" as hunters and sportsman have to stand together and "not" tolerate this when it happens. I got the "it's a show, they're trying to promote a product, they only have 30 min, maybe they looked when the camera wasn't rolling etc...Then say that, let me know as a hunter that you looked for the animal. Let me know it isn't just about how many times you can pull the trigger in 30 minues. As I mentioned with regard to his use of the shooting sticks, he was missing by several feet and it was because he has the barrel resting on the sticks not the forend. I'm just surprised the company would let stuff like this go to air. I would not want this kid representing my company/product/image. Do they not look at it before it goes national? As far as the coyote killing other critters in horrible ways, their just doin what they do. I love hunting them, but it's no different than watching a lion or bear eat young cubs, pretty disturbing, but it's what they do, they're all part of the food chain, Mother Nature isn't always pretty. Maybe they're using this young man to bring other young people to the sport, I don't know. But I would think they'd want to show "how to do it" not "not how to do it". The overall impression I got from watching this was this kid truly did not know "the basics" of shooting, he clearly hit an animal and then tries to tell me I didn't see what I saw. There was no effort to look for this yote, no mention that they tried to look for this yote, just "I missed him, barely grazed him" and let's move on to the next one. YHEA RIGHT, OK whatever you say. I was very disappointed. Maybe this is the Boss' kid or something but like I said he needs to learn something about his craft before he goes in front of a camera and national audience and speak like he knows what he's doing because he clearly does not. I will probably email the company and let them know how I feel about it. Very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Good thread with great points.
    Don't worry, there are thousands in Washington who feel just like you do, and will be happy to make sure no one does ANY of this again.
    As a trapper, I get people who say what I do is unethical, but I disagree. I always try to do the right thing.
    My point, this is a slippery slope, which can result in our rights as hunters being lost. Do you really want to contribute to that?

    The show(which I have seen), is done in poor taste. So is ballroom dancing, but that doesn't mean it should be ended!
    I think stanly made an excellent point and I think tailwind either missed it completely, or is choosing not to acknowledge it, which I think is an irresponsible shame. The example stanly provides is indicitave of our society's growing lack of respect for other living creatures, human and otherwise. The kid cited in the example above has no more respect for the yote he's shooting at, than he does the imaginary creatures he destroys by the thousands when he plays video games. He is demonstrating that he hasn't been raised properly, and knows no respect, nor does he feel or understand any responsibility for his actions. Tailwind, I'm betting that you understand what respect means, and I'm betting you treat the animals you trap with with the respect they deserve. Am I wrong? To defend the idiot in the example above is irresponsible and counter productive to your cause. If you're afraid of losing the ability to hunt and trap to the majority opinion of the "antis", it would behoove you to set a high ethical bar for all who propose to represent you in public. To defend a kid who knows no respect for any living thing, and feels no responsibility for wounding an animal and letting it run off, on television no less, does a disservice to us all. To compare an unethical act with a firearm that makes us all look bad to ballroom dancing...I'm not sure what you're thinking.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  9. #9

    Default

    Well, agree to disagree.
    I didn't miss any of stan's points, it was an excellent post, and was worded well.
    I just have a different opinion about the subject.

    Like stan said, "mother nature isn't always pretty", and we are a part of it.

    That being said, you are right iofthetiga, I would not hunt like that in private or public.
    I am a leader and teacher of my loved ones, and try to set a high ethical standard.
    That was distasteful, but it ends there for me. I found palins public hunt to be distasteful also, but I think she's one helluva gal!
    JMHO. Useless really.

  10. #10
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default

    On this forum you either get slapped for not being ethical enough, or slapped for being too ethical!

    I personally believe all animals deserve to be treated with respect, from mice to brown bear and everything in between. It is my belief that they have the breath of God in them (note: I didn't say soul) and occupy a place worthy of humane treatment. I most certainly have no problem with killing animals, even enjoy doing it, but I never take doing it lightly lightly.

    I can't stand the way many television personalities treat fish and game. Even a bass deserves to be treated carefully out of the water. Even a coyote deserves a clean and careful shot. I share your distaste Stanley.

  11. #11
    Member radkejd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Wow!!! I'm really really torn on this one... First It's a hunting show that is sponsored by FoxPro, basically a 22 min infomercial on the best electronic call on the market(and they're spendy)... The show highlights the calls ability to work in adverse conditions(weather that is, cause they were not hurting on the number of yotes running around)... Abner Druckenmiller is ProStaff, not a professional hunter, He basically can sit in front of a camera put a few sentences together and plug the latest and greatest calls from FoxPro(if I had a nickel for every ProStaff person that was a better salesman than hunter)... He was basically showing that any idiot can go down to the local store or web, purchase one of these calls, grab a rifle, don't worry too much about camo or coverscent, hang the previously purchased call from a fence post, and hang on here come the yotes(NO it's not that easy, but if you're selling $500 electronic calls you want it to look that easy)... So he's not that great of a shot(if I had a nickel for every ProStaff or "Professional Hunter" that couldn't shoot), Ok he's a really bad shot!!! But I hit a yote last year quartering away, and the fur flew everywhere, I watched him for over 10 mins and when I lost sight of him he was going through a fence a mile and a half away(they are tough critters)... Bottom line it's a 22 min advertisment of a good product that could have been done much better(But if you don't like it turn it off or even better don't buy their product)... I bet you this though, there was a huge group of people who watched that show and said to themselves that looks fun and I could do it as well as this guy(that group isn't the sportsmans that we are, but they spend lots o'money and that was the goal)... That it for what it's worth and let's find other things to be upset about like I don't know the fact that it hasn't snowed in forever!!! HAHAHA

  12. #12
    Member lab man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    551

    Default

    I've seen this kind of behavior on what seems like quite a few shows lately. It's a shame. I wounded a lynx a few weeks back and felt almost sick about the deal. There was only a small amount of blood, and it ran out within 75 yards, but I tracked him for over an hour and a half through the snow until I lost the trail in thick brush and rabbit tracks. It was about 10 at night and close to -30, but I felt like I owed it to the animal to try my hardest to find it. Frostbit the crap out of my ears in the process.. I have never seen a show on predator hunting do anything even close to that. I understand that coyotes are considered to be pests down in the states, but I don't feel like they deserve to be used as target practice. If you don't like the behavior on a show, send an e-mail or make a call. Can't hurt. The unethical treatment of animals seems like a reasonable thing to be upset about. Ethical sportsman should stick together to promote ethical practices. I refuse to hunt or trap with anyone exhibiting anything less than respect for any animal they're attempting to harvest, whether that is grouse, coyotes, moose, or anything in between.

  13. #13
    Member WaterWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Lol, I like you Rad.

    FoxPro and Ethical? Thats even funnier.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •