Thread: No More Felt-Soled Boots

Unhappy No More Felt-Soled Boots

With felt soles banned for anglers wading in streams beginning this year, gotta make the switch to Vibram. Disappointing since I have four perfectly good pairs of felt boots in the garage. So much for stocking up during clearance sales!

Any affordable recommendations already tested by forum members? If possible, would like to stay under $100.

I browsed the selections available on Cabela's, but didn't see anything that "wowed" me. I find it hard to believe that Vibram will offer the same level of traction on slippery rocks that felt always provided.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    With felt soles banned for anglers wading in streams beginning this year, gotta make the switch to Vibram. Disappointing since I have four perfectly good pairs of felt boots in the garage. So much for stocking up during clearance sales!

Any affordable recommendations already tested by forum members? If possible, would like to stay under $100.

I browsed the selections available on Cabela's, but didn't see anything that "wowed" me. I find it hard to believe that Vibram will offer the same level of traction on slippery rocks that felt always provided.
    Nope, not till next year.

I'm waiting for them to do the same here in CO., we have problems with the zebra mussels.
    I switched to Vibram in my last pair just for this reason. I know it seems like alot $240, but try on a pair of Simms G4's. They a light and after 10-12 hrs in the water they still feel great.

I know it seems like alot $240, but try on a pair of Simms G4's. They a light and after 10-12 hrs in the water they still feel great.
    You think they are light? I didn't think so when I looked at them in the shop, they felt like rocks. So I got the headwaters(20oz lighter and $90 cheaper), they feel like nothing.

I love the sole though, in my opinion way better than felt, if you don't think they are going to grip grab some of the star studs and they will be solid.

The G4, Guide and Rivershed boots are all neoprene lined, with this interior they absorb less water and add a little bit of buoyancy to the boot when you are wading, this helps make the boot feel lighter.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Thanks for the info, it's good to know. Shopping now for non felt soles myself

Tomcat,
    the new regulation goes into effect, 1 January 2012 but a good call nonetheless to get a jump on this change. Chota makes a pair of felt alternatives for about $129. Korkers had a set for under $100 but have changed their entire line up for 2011. Their entry level boots now cost about $129. Korkers have interchangeable soles and the new sets come with a set of felt alternatives (Kling-ons) and a set of felts. A few of my guides used the Kling-ons last year with positive results.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai Cache Outfitters View Post
    Tomcat,
    the new regulation goes into effect, 1 January 2012 but a good call nonetheless to get a jump on this change. Chota makes a pair of felt alternatives for about $129. Korkers had a set for under $100 but have changed their entire line up for 2011. Their entry level boots now cost about $129. Korkers have interchangeable soles and the new sets come with a set of felt alternatives (Kling-ons) and a set of felts. A few of my guides used the Kling-ons last year with positive results.

Welcome to the Forum Colin.....
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thank you sir! Glad to be here. What a great forum...loving it!!!

Default another alternative

For the last several years, I have been using wading boots with the LL Bean rubber wading sole. The sole is not adequate on mossy rock (Kenai cobble for instance), terrible in fact; so I bought a pair of the Servus studded rubber slip-on in the boot style. They work great, stay on the boot and are easy to get on and off (in and out of the boat).