Thread: How much to have chokes installed in a coach gun?

Default How much to have chokes installed in a coach gun?

Hey folks,
    Just wondering how much of a project it would be to have a smith install Remchokes in a Stoger nickel coach gun. It has a IC and a MOD fixed chokes from the factory.
    Thanks!

Mountaintrekker

hap

It depends on how thick the barrels are... Few doubles have enough meat in the barrels to allow Rem-chokes. Other options include Tru-Tubes and Thin-Wall for smaller OD barrels. There are options to swage the barrels out or to sleeve them... Neither is viable with a coach gun.

The nickle will cost you extra.

You would be way ahead sending it to Michael Orlen in Amhearst, MA for the work. He is good, fast, and cheap. I have 7 barrels en route to him right now.

I have had a number of tubes installed by a local "smith" and you could not pay me to have another. The 7 tubes he will install on the ones en route will cost about half again as much TOTAL as the last one installed locally. Paying premium prices for ordinary to poor work never appealed to me.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=12&t=36237

Note the fact you can register on that forum and he will tube it for dealer price... And he does outstanding work...
    art

hap

Should add he only needs the barrels so shipping is no big deal.

Hap, thanks for posting that link. Even though the price list is old, those are some seriously great prices compared to most folks. Most folks just send the barrel out anyway as I learned a few years ago.

Looks like I will have to think about that little red lable 20 gauge collecting dust with its skeet/skeet barrels.

Thanks for the info Hap! I hear you with regard to "smiths" I have run across here on the Peninsula, shoddy work and way over priced, not to mention extreemly long wait times. I just don't get up to Anchorage enough to try out some of the others.
    Just shipping barrels is no big deal, so I'll give him a call and see what he can do.

Mountaintrekker

we send our choke work to Briley

Mike Orlen is tops on SxS's with good price fast service and top quaility work.I have used him and knows hundreds of other who have and all very happy.He hangs out at DoubleGunshop.com home of fine doubles
    If you just want tighter choke in both barrels a good smith could just jug choke them
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    we send our choke work to Briley
    There is no sane person that can argue with Briley's quality of work or materials...

But they are proud of their product!

Yep Jess and Chuck are great folks but for work needed here Mike is a better fit.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    There is no sane person that can argue with Briley's quality of work or materials...

But they are proud of their product!
    you get what you pay for. they are the ones the advanced shotgunners use.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    you get what you pay for. they are the ones the advanced shotgunners use.
    But hardly Stoeger country...