Thread: An old quote worth remembering

Default An old quote worth remembering

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
    </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

Thomas Jefferson was an interesting fellow and he generally has my respect, although I don't agree with all his actions or statements.

I've crossed paths with a lot of maladapted minds controlling strong body's, and found myself grateful they were not given to boldness, enterprise, and independence of mind, as a result of carrying a gun while they walked.

We need to keep in mind the context of Mr. Jefferson's quote. He was recommending this advice to a specific individual, his friend Mr. Carr, in a private letter. He was not necessarily advocating such advise be taken out of that context and applied indiscriminately, and I would wager he would protest strongly to know his statement was being quoted in such a fashion 200 some years later.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Default Have gun...

... will travel.

Wow, iofthetiger, I respectfuly disagree. That quote still holds water today, and the current administration(both state and federal) could learn alot from it.
    Saying that people are not capable or worthy of bearing arms is suggesting most are incompetent. That is a sad commentary on your faith in mankind. Maybe, not everyone should have a gun, but I beleive every law abiding American should. JMHO.
    Shame on you!

tailwind, that is NOT what I said. I stand by what I did say.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

"Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Especially if you find yourself 'walking' in the hood on a Saturday night. Guns aren't bad ... but some people are. The really bad ones can do damage with a hammer, a car, a baseball bat or a fist.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I've crossed paths with a lot of maladapted minds controlling strong body's, and found myself grateful they were not given to boldness, enterprise, and independence of mind, as a result of carrying a gun while they walked.
    The fact that there are "a lot of maladapted minds" out there is precisely why I like Mr. Jefferson's advice. I certainly don't carry a gun while walking for the purpose of physical exercise.