Thread: Anchorage AC meeting.

Default Anchorage AC meeting.

I'm traveling out of state right now so I was unable to attend the meeting but saw this article this morning: http://www.adn.com/2011/01/06/163599...ee-ejects.html

Was anybody there, what was the fuss about?

the fuss is Steve Flory - i dont know the guy that got tossed out, but if you've ever seen Flory in action, its quite a show.

Flory was elected to an Alternate seat last January, he then somehow became the Chair of the Committee, and sounds like he was moved into a 3 year seat sometime during the year, again - not sure. Alternates are supposed to be elected Annually and can only sit/serve if when there is a committee meeting and not enough permanent board members are present

the article and guy in question is correct that if you get crosswise with Flory, he will do everything is his power to remove you. I dont know the guy, and quite frankly dont really care. The Anchorage AC is not looked at with any kind of real input for the BOG and BOF when Flory is on the committee and more importantly when Flory is acting as chair.

I'm sure a few of the AAC members are on here, and maybe some of them can pipe up. At any rate, this is status quo yet again for the committee elections, and I doubt they will ever change. Meanwhile the largest community in the State has almost zero imput on the BOG ideals due to the shenanigans going on.

The new Chair is Bruce Morgan. Bruce is very knowledgeable and a real good guy. He should be able to whip them boy's back into shape, if anybody can.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thanks for the info Cutter. I know all about Flory and have seen his behavior first hand. I feel sullied even standing in the same room as him. I continue to be puzzled how he holds any seat, but the chair? I agree that his presence gives the AC zero credibility. I continue to be amazed anyone would cast a vote for him, stand alongside him and be counted in his corner. How is it he can have people ejected from the meeting?????

I was surprised to see that Wade and Mike had been removed a month ago, according to the article...but I gotta say that I haven't followed the AC's business very closedly after my short time on there came to an end last year. I know Wade's on the forum from time to time, I'd be interested in his take. Both Mike and Wade were often at odds with the majority on the committee on various issues (though not always together), but from my time there I wouln;t call them disruptive...at least not to the point of deserving removal. Perhaps something changed in the past year.

Also from the article, I see that "objecting to approving the minutes" was one of the reasons in finding them disruptive. Meeting minutes, as drafted, often fail to capture minority opinions/discussion...the minutes are usually biased towards the viewpoint of the person taking the notes/minutes. That's not pointing fingers at anyone, it's simply a fact...be it intentional or not. Wade would regularly work to ensure that his discussion points were represented in the minutes and I can't blame him one bit for that.

But as I said, perhaps something changed in the past year. What I find interesting is the timing of the AC vote on the removals (one month before elections).

Let me say this, I am not a fan of steve flory. I have talked with him and he is just as adversarial in person, as he is on what ads he has bought on the ADN. That being said, Bruce Morgan can hopefully add a balance to the board and bring these guys back to a somewhat unified voice. Watching petty politics play out statewide is just a head shaker. I like a change of opinion but many people do not, just from my own observations with the AC process. Tis a shame that this had to go statewide, now it makes the Anchorage AC look like fools and clowns, involved in the process. Sad, IMO.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Whop, I certainly agree with you that Bruce should be able to provide some much needed leadership.

But I gotta take issue with your statement about a "unified" voice...though I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it may have come across (I think you're wishing for less drama...as am I). Some people wanted to scrub the AC of all dissenting voices. Look, I never agreed with Wade on most things, but I still appreciated his viewpoint and he did often bring a valuable perspective to the table on issues besides predator control.

As long as the total makeup of the AC does not fall too far out of whack for what the community is likely composed of, then the differing postitions should be fine...even welcomed, within a reasonable balance.

Not everyting has to be unanimous, and some people pushed for that at all costs as if it made some real difference. It didn't.