Thread: Yakutat DIY

Default Yakutat DIY

Been thinking about putting together a trip to Yakutat this spring. Loading up my truck and taking a ATV, raft and an AO10 with stove and taking the ferry over. Anyone ever did this trip??? Would be most appreciative of any tips or advice. Thinking that it might be a great chance for a combo bear and fishing trip. If anyone might be interested in coming along send me a PM and we can see if we can work it out. For those that have been, would an inflatable jet powered raft be of any use?? Might go to Cordova instead if I can't get a partner.

Video of the raft in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgPUs6dEDw

Last edited by stid2677; 01-07-2011 at 11:22.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, My son and I went down there last year and floated the Situk. We camped 3 nights on the river and had a blast! Also got some very nice Steelhead! Met some guys who rode the ferry over with their trucks, that looks like the way to do it if ya the time, my work hitch doesn’t line up to do the ferry thing this spring!

Your boat would work nice on the lower part of the river, there were two jet boats working the lower part!

As far as Bear hunting opportunity with your boat I wouldn’t know, we didn't see any bear sign along the Situk!

We are back this spring also, we will do the steelhead and then a fly out bear hunt!

Dave

Except for the color it looks just like the set up that a bear guide was using at Cape Yakataga on the Duktoth river. Most these rivers along the flattish coastal areas are pretty much the same with lots of logs and sand bars, but enough flow to keep chanels open.

The Situk has a boat launch at 2 places so you can launch and haul out with a truck, also has a couple forest service cabins along the river that go for $35 a night. Busy river spring thru fall with steelhead and salmon fishing, plenty of boats floating downstream, some with guides, some diy.

Theres bear and wolves and moose. Might be an interesting trip running up the narrow Situk in your rig with all them tourists floating down with fly rods.

Steve,
    I have a stream that runs thru my property and it can get shallow when we want to hunt waterfowl - like now as its about 12 degree's and some ice chunks moving. Never had a jet motor - do the handle low temps without any freezing issues and how shallow are they capable of running?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Steve,
    I have a stream that runs thru my property and it can get shallow when we want to hunt waterfowl - like now as its about 12 degree's and some ice chunks moving. Never had a jet motor - do the handle low temps without any freezing issues and how shallow are they capable of running?
    Randy
    Jets can run very shallow 3 to 4 inches on step for mine, and yes freezing can be a problem. A surface drive would probably be better for what you described.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Been thinking about putting together a trip to Yakutat this spring. Loading up my truck and taking a ATV, raft and an AO10 with stove and taking the ferry over. Anyone ever did this trip??? Would be most appreciative of any tips or advice. Thinking that it might be a great chance for a combo bear and fishing trip. If anyone might be interested in coming along send me a PM and we can see if we can work it out. For those that have been, would an inflatable jet powered raft be of any use?? Might go to Cordova instead if I can't get a partner.

Video of the raft in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgPUs6dEDw

DANG STEVE YOU JUST GOT ME PUMPED UPPED FOR SUMMER! Can't wait. What would you consider doing in Cordova?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel