Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with snowmachine trailer lights.

Default Help with snowmachine trailer lights.

Anyone know who rewires trailer lights? I got a 1998 Polaris 2 place tilt trailer and it has no wiring harness. There are wires comming from the lights but the harness with the plug has been severed. Anyone locally fix this? Looking for someonw who can rewire or a place that can sewll me the parts and alittle guidance. All the lights are good, just need some rewiring.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks Billy 227-7545
    sailorsjeep@yahoo.com
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Are the wires different colors?? if so there is a common wiring schematic that is used in the industry. Brown tail lights; white ground; yellow left turn; green right turn; black 12 vdc; blue brakes. I hope this helps. Gerberman

I keep a set like this to use on my tow vehicle, also comes in handy to use on any trailer. If in the Fairbanks area would be happy to help. Not hard to fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-72788-Au...=pd_sbs_auto_4

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Go to 6 Roblees in Wasilla (near the Windbreak restaurant), they have all the wiring supplies you will need and can give advice if needed. PM me if you need a hand putting it together, they aren't too complicated.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Fred Meyer, NAPA, and probably Wallmart all have complete wiring kits which are easy to install. You may want to check the pig tail on your tow vehicle to make sure all the connectors/functions work, so when you hook up the trailer with its new wiring and something doesn't work, you'll know it's not the vehicle. This can be easily accomplished with a small tester and someone in the driver's seat to do the signals and brakes for you. I refresh my wiring about every 5 years or so do to salt and road crud and brittle insulation. Make sure you ground your wiring well.

If you don't want to do the work yourself, call Trailercraft.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I repair trailer wiring......

billy google trailer light wiring that will get up started on do it your self type job. If you need some help send me a pm I walk ya thru or help ya. pretty easy once you understand Mike. Also if ya need parts i can help there and get them at cost.

Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/ has some cheap (Cheap as well as inexpensive) options ranging from magnetic to LED to new trailer light kits.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Like AkMud said go to Six Robblees there in Wasilla and they will guide through the process and will be there with all of the parts that you will need for the wiring along with the other parts that you will need for your trailer to include wheel bearings ,tires and wheels or things that just happen.

Like said above, it is a pretty easy process. I am going to guess that you don't have brakes because it is only a two place trailer.
    White wire is ground and the most important one. I buy an extra spool of wire and run the ground back to all my lights. I find this to be a better solution than grounding each light to the frame. On a tilt trailer, the hinge point is usually the main "ground" connection from the front to the rear of the trailer. This joint wears and gets flaky, causing lighting issues.
    Brown wire is used for the running lights.
    Yellow is for the left turn signal and brake light.
    Green is for the right turn signal and brake light.
    A trucker once told me the easy way to remember this. The word YELLOW has an "L" that means Left. The word GREEN has an "R" that means Right.

If you need a hand, PM me and I can help you out on Sunday, I am out by the Settler's Bay Lodge area down KGB. I have a set of magnetic lights that we can use to test your truck as well.

AK Chappy

mine came unplugged one time and got chewed up so i just bought a trailer wire extension from wal mart, electrical connectors and a crimper/stripper tool all of it was less than 20 bucks i think and was back up and running in about 5 minutes... u can also solder it and put shrink tube over it, either way is easy and will work...

After climbing under the sled I discovered that the previous owner was wrong. The wiring is intact and was well hidden. I cleaned up the contacts with a wore brush and applied some grease to the contacts. I got about half of the trailer lights working. brakes and blinkers work most of the time. Out of about 10 running lights only one side amber running lights work. I doubt that every bulb is burned out, so we're thinking a bad ground or something. bad thing about this trailer is that the lights and wires are sealed. Here's a pic of the trailer. Any ideas would help.Picture 008 (Small).jpg
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Even though the lights are sealed you can remove the light and use your car battery as a power source to test them. Not knowing what lights you have I think one of the screws holding the light socket are going to ground, if Iím right look at the wiring going to the light that is working. There will be a brake or bad connection in the wiring going to the next one.
    Does that make sense?

If you have a volt meter that would help.

There is about a 95% chance that the problem is a ground problem. The lights look like the type that are in a rubber gromet for the ones on the back and the marker lights should be screwed on as rutting moose stated. If you have a long peice of wire run it from a good ground on the truck and check each light ,since it is the ground it could even be tie wire it would not have to be covered.On tilt trailers it is common to lose your ground contact due to rust and corision(sp)You will have to run a new ground wire. Good luck

Those lights aren't sealed. They pop out of the rubber housing around them. Carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them out of the rubber around them. A little grease on them makes them pop right back in.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Those lights aren't sealed. They pop out of the rubber housing around them. Carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them out of the rubber around them. A little grease on them makes them pop right back in.
    A hairdryer works good to soften that rubber when it is cold too, this will help get them in and out.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have similar syle lights. Is it just the lens that comes off (exposing the light bulb and socket) or is it the whole unit that comes out? If the whole unit, does it come apart so you can get at the bulb or do you have to replace the whole thing? My left turn signal is out. Everything else works fine and I've be ignoring it but I really need to fix it.

After rereading your information I gave you some bad information. Iím guessing the trailer is wired one of two ways; two wires are coming from the connector and going to each side of the trailer running lights. You have a problem with one of those wires. Or you have one wire coming from the connector and it is split to go to each side. Your problem is at the junction or not. You mention it a tilt trailer checking where the trailer tilts.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I have similar syle lights. Is it just the lens that comes off (exposing the light bulb and socket) or is it the whole unit that comes out? If the whole unit, does it come apart so you can get at the bulb or do you have to replace the whole thing? My left turn signal is out. Everything else works fine and I've be ignoring it but I really need to fix it.
    Popping the unit out of the rubber brings out a sealed light, there is no way to get to the bulbs without breaking the sealed unit. You will need to take the light that is bad out and go match it at the store. If it is your blinker, than most likely it is your brake light too, FYI. Most auto parts stores should have the light. WD-40 sprayed onto the rubber helps get the light out too, but definately heating it up a little is recommended so that you dont crack/damage the rubber mount.

As for the trailer wiring problem, pop out the lights that arent working and check/clean the connections on the back. I believe these are continuous systems and if one is removed then others will not work. Correct me if im wrong though.

trailer light insert.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast