Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tender options?

Default tender options?

hi again,,,,now i am up all night, thinking about a tender for the boat!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!......kidding.....love every minute of this!!..but boy, when that boat is safe here in PG i am going to sleep for a week!!!

anyways...would like about a 7-8 footer that would be good for2 people and a bit of gear,,,,would like to have a small kicker on it at times,,use it to explore laggons etc and be able to drag it on the rocks with out fear of it getting it punchered!!......would store it on the roof of the wooly and just slide it off into the cockpit,,,..any ideas/makes/models/ size??..would love to hear what you guys use!!.....as always thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Default 6-7 ft

Had four guys all over 200ibs. plus some packs and guns. It was a nice day and close to the boat so we got lazy and tried it, works great!

http://www.livingstonboats.com/index.html I see alot of these in Valdez.

We've got a 3meter air floor inflatable we got from Costco a few years ago. They were clearing them out for $400, which was a steal, but even at the original price of ~$800 they are a good by. I did have to patch it this summer, as we got a leak after leaving it on a rough beach all day during a hike. They put a rubber wear strip on the bottom of the tubes, but stopped ~4" shy of the end of tubes, so guess where it was leaking?

Asside from that, the boat weighs about 80#, so can easily be put on top of the cabin, comfortably can be used w/ 3 adults, and is rated for 10 horse. I've been using an 8 horse kicker, which is fine for one adult, or an adult and one child, but won't plane with more weight. That said, you don't need to get on plane just to get to shore, and unless we have to anchor far from shore or there is a strong headwind, we just row.

I don't think I'd want anything smaller, and had considered a slightly larger inflatable rated for 15 hp.

Charterboat Operator

Agree on the air floor inflatable, 10' minimum, and less than 80 lbs. I can easily take it on and off the roof by myself.
    we use a 2hp yami (the blender) certainly wont plane but has pushed 4 adults a couple of miles even in some pretty good tides!

Check out the AK Series Inflatibles, Jim King is a sponsor/advertiser on this site, great inflatibles, you can see them soon at the boat shows in AK or go online (prices can be MUCH better than listed online). We have the 270 tender with a Honda 2hp (sweet motor, 27 lbs. in the long shaft which you need, sips gas, air cooled, no shifting, look at earlier posts, everyone loves these...). That Tender has a "Grizzly Claw" heavy rubber cover on the pontoon's bottom, we land and drag ours up on the rocks all the time. It weighs about 50-60 lbs I think, I can put it on top and get it off alone, great for 2 people and some gear, divide the persons ratings for tenders like you do with a tent, by half or at least 1/3 less!

Bears like to EAT inflatibles, we got over 60 holes in one "attack" on the shore one night last summer after several years with no problem. Finally got it patched and tried to hide it better, got bit again. Someone linked Livingston boats, thinking of getting a little one, we had a 14' Livingston, but it weighed 315 pounds and even with tip-up wheels on it, was too heavy for us to move up rocky shore above tide line. But, the bears never bothered it, so we are thinking of getting an 8 or 10 footer, but maybe not, sure nice to put the inflatible AK Series on top of the Hewescraft! If you are not overnighting (we have a cabin on shore...) or you will camp right by your tender, I wouldn't worry about bears. Doesn't work to hoist them up a tree unless you get it real high, bears will just use if for a pinata!

Think hypalon material if you want it to last. My PVC Titan inflatable seams are delaminating after 10 years and I gave it a fair amount of TLC. Guy at Alaska Raft said I shouldn't expect any more than that with PVC boats. By comparison, my hypalon Avon river raft is 25 years old is still going strong. Achilles makes hypalon tenders which will likely be my next one.

http://walkerbay.com/products/rigid_dinghy/ I was looking at these at South Central Hardware in Valdez. They looked Ok and I was thinking about buying 1 but they where all sold out when I finally made up my mind.

I just bought one of those Gary Kings inflatable rafts. 10 footer and I went w/ the optional aluminum floor it adds another 11 pounds. I've nervous its gonna be too big/heavy for me to hoist on the bowpicker. I went 10'foot w/ the aluminum floor because I wanted to be able to fish out of it in rivers anyway if its a nightmare to lift and/or it hangs way off the back of the boat I'll be begging Jim to trade for a smaller one
    Oh yeah good info about the bears CAPTRON thats the kind of info that makes this site worth a chit +1

I've had Avon (hypalon), Achilles (hypalon), Sorenson (fibreglass and superior to Livingston IMHO) and my most recent Alaska Series 270 (PVC) powered by the 2 hp Honda like Cap'n. The Sorenson was the best but on a 38 footer with dinghy davits so the weight was not a problem. Powered by a 15 hp moved it on step with 3 guys and gear and it had stainless rub strips on the keel sections making it durable for shore excursions. The Avon and Achilles are clearly better than the PVC inflatable and wish I went with a small Achillies when looking for my last boat. While Jim King has been good for service and all, the hypalon are clearly superior but also heavier typically than the PVC. I carry my current dink on the cabin top but put dinghy davits on the swimstep - it makes for better stability when getting in and out so worth it for these old and less nimble bones. I highly recommend them.

Lightbulb

thanks for al the ideas guys,,,,took a quick glance at the jim king--alaska series, pretty nice!!...i guess in the end, it will depend how much i want to lift??!!...this is going to take some time...no rush!..you guys got me on track anyway--thanks again larry

Check out , www.twimarine.com if it's a rubber ducky they have it.

bcriverhunter, I found a 8ft dingy late last summer on Craigslist for my boat. Its a zodiac, has aluminum floors and only weighs around 65lbs. I can get it on and off my boat by myself without too much trouble. I think I paid $500 for it last July. Point is those Gary Kings are nice boats but expensive. You can save a few bucks for some of your other additions to your boat by finding a used one on Craiglist. I think if you go with the higher end boats, especially hypalon type boats, you'll have many fewer problems with holes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Avon, Achilles and Zodiac all have hypalon boats.

There aren't alot of boats on Craigslist here in Anchorage right now but there are quite a few down in Seattle that you could pick up when you get your boat. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Check out , www.twimarine.com if it's a rubber ducky they have it.

hey pacific,,,,thanks for the site,,,,,this guy caught my eye,,,,weight is about right, and it says it has a full leght rubbing strake?..so, does that mean i can drag it on the graver/rocks?...thanks larry

http://www.achillesinflatables.com/b...ats/ls/LS4-RU/

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    bcriverhunter, I found a 8ft dingy late last summer on Craigslist for my boat. Its a zodiac, has aluminum floors and only weighs around 65lbs. I can get it on and off my boat by myself without too much trouble. I think I paid $500 for it last July. Point is those Gary Kings are nice boats but expensive. You can save a few bucks for some of your other additions to your boat by finding a used one on Craiglist. I think if you go with the higher end boats, especially hypalon type boats, you'll have many fewer problems with holes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Avon, Achilles and Zodiac all have hypalon boats.

There aren't alot of boats on Craigslist here in Anchorage right now but there are quite a few down in Seattle that you could pick up when you get your boat. Just a thought.
    hi pat.... yes, i think once i can decide which boat will suit us the best, i will check for one on craigs list!..grreat site,,,,picked up a nice camper a couple of years back for a steal!!.....thanks again larry

My pleasure. I can't get enough talking boats and fishing/hunting. It makes the winer go by faster. I think I'm as excited about your boat as you are Well maybe not but its going to be a pretty sweet ride for sure.

I bought a 8' silver marine zodiac for a pretty fair price. Doesn't look as durable as the zodiac or avon brand, but it was much cheaper and not too heavy, 80 lbs, I get it on the roof of my boat by myself. It has held up for 4 years now, and have used it quite a bit, even on some hunting trips. I put a 2.5 suzuki on it and it goes pretty good, it can take up to a 9.9horse
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default Tender

I have both an Alaska Series 8' inflatable and a Walker Bay hard shell. I like the Walker Bay for its hard shell and rigidity. I don't have to worry about popping it or keeping it inflated. It weighs a little more than the soft boat, so getting it on and off the roof is a little work. I have about six fenders attached around the gunnels which serve as additional floatation. They also make a kit that basically makes it into a rigid hull inflatable. I can use my 2hp motor on both. The WB rows easier than the inflatable but tends to feel more tippy. If I had to abandon ship, I would prefer the inflatable due to its buoyancy and lack of tippiness. Both will hold about the same weight and crew. Less worry about my dogs punching holes in the hard boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hey pacific,,,,thanks for the site,,,,,this guy caught my eye,,,,weight is about right, and it says it has a full leght rubbing strake?..so, does that mean i can drag it on the graver/rocks?...thanks larry

http://www.achillesinflatables.com/b...ats/ls/LS4-RU/
    I don't know how tough the bottom is I'll give Kenny a call and get back to you on that one.

I'm on the phone with Kenny as I type, he says to take CAUTION on any rubber type dingy on the rocks. He did say that he has 3 of those in stock [ had 4 until last week] and for the money they are a GOOOD deal.

Kenny said to give him a call for more details, 949-335-8909, tell him Les from Texas sent ya .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast