Thread: Tanning in the valley...help please

Default Tanning in the valley...help please

hey guys...i need a single fox hide to be tanned and looking for somewhere in the valley to get it professionaly done...

its cased skinned feet on and i need it tanned...soon

any quick suggestions? is there anybody

Quote Originally Posted by lbtrapper View Post
    hey guys...i need a single fox hide to be tanned and looking for somewhere in the valley to get it professionaly done...

its cased skinned feet on and i need it tanned...soon

any quick suggestions? is there anybody
    PM Huntress on here, I'm sure she can steer ya right. She's killin varmints as fast as they breed lately.......lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Denali Fur on Palmer-Wasilla Hwy

Trophy tanning has always been good to me..... http://www.trophytanning.com/

That question has been asked several times, I've asked it before and was sent to Fosters. I'm very happy with the folks there. (Here is one thread about taxidermists in the valley.)

Supporting Member

JMO, but it seems most (not all) taxidermists act as middlemen and send your fur to a tannery and add something for their business effort. Why not deal direct and maybe save some money for trapping gear? If they (taxidermists) are doing their own tanning, then by all means, do business locally if it is cost effective. JMO!

Its easy and cheap to send them to Moyles in Idaho. Usually takes a few months to get them back though. I agree with the supporting local business, and fox are pretty easy to home tan I hear, but it's alot easier for me to just send in a batch of fur and the end of season to Moyles. They do a great job and prices are very reasonable. Its about 20-25$ to tan a fox...They do have an "express" service that will get them back faster..

Do you freeze them while accumulating your "batch"?

Nope, they are fleshed, stretched and air dried on a stretcher board. They will keep that way for a long time (months at least)

I do keep them in my cool basement in the dark though...just to be safe.

You could freeze them after drying, i've never done it, but if I was keeping them for a year or longer, I would probably try to freeze them.