Thread: Thumb Cove??

Default Thumb Cove??

Hello, I will be in Seward and staying in Thumb Cove at the end of June. Does anyone have any insight on fishing halibut in that area within kayak range? Much thanks for any info provided!

We stayed in one of the rental cabins the past 2 years (late June early July) and did not have too much success. My wife caught one 15 lb chicken at the entrance of the cove and we caught a few small rock fish on the south side near the entrance. Good luck and enjoy the scenary, great place for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrabasco View Post
    Hello, I will be in Seward and staying in Thumb Cove at the end of June. Does anyone have any insight on fishing halibut in that area within kayak range? Much thanks for any info provided!
    I have fished Thumb Cove several time on the way to somewhere else, or because it is too nasty out in the gulf for the family. Truth be told, the fishing there is frustrating. I am not saying don't even bother as just about every year somebody hooks into a 100 pound halibut, but chances are it will be slow, if not completely dead. A better option is slightly farther south in the narrows, but it is often slow there too. If you can get between Hive Island and Rugged Island (a really far paddle), the fishing is much better.

I would agree that Thumb cove is pretty far into the bay, always has boats anchored in it...etc... I would paddle just south of thumbs and fish the rockslides that come down around the "iron door" area on the eastern shore of the bay about a mile up from thumb cove. Easy paddle and fish the drop off. You might be surprise by what you catch.

My wife and I anchored up there one night to spend the night and she insisted on hooking a silver head on a hook and soaking it in the 60 ft. or so of water we were in. I told her not to waste her time and after a half an hour or so I hit the cuddy for some sleep. Just as I was dozing off I heard a commotion out on the back deck and then my wife yelling for me to get out there and about 7 or 8 minutes later we had a 70 to 80 lb. halibut flopping on the deck.

They are in there, but like others say it is a very popular place to boat camp and does get fished pretty hard. It certainly would be worth trying at least if you have the time camping there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mrabasco View Post
    The outer corners will be more productive as a rule...north end having more rockfish/small lings and the south end having a better chance at halibut.

Cool place to camp...some shots from last fall...

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff