Thread: Bulk tumbler media ??

Default Bulk tumbler media ??

I have been going though jugs of Lyman media like crazy. I am re-arraigning things in my re-loading room and I have some trash cans full of old brass that I have been cleaning up.

Has anyone ever seen big 20 or 40 pound bags of this stuff?

I wonder if some sorts of cat litter would work??? Some of this old brass is really dirty.

Buying media in Homer is a no-go, so it takes a long trip to Anchorage to buy the darn stuff.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Around here in Fairbanks I go to a cement products outfit and get raw crushed walnut shell. Its cheap, but it does break down a little faster than the treated stuff, as in it gets a little dusty. Comes in 50lb bags if I remember right.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have been going though jugs of Lyman media like crazy. I am re-arraigning things in my re-loading room and I have some trash cans full of old brass that I have been cleaning up.

Has anyone ever seen big 20 or 40 pound bags of this stuff?

I wonder if some sorts of cat litter would work??? Some of this old brass is really dirty.

Buying media in Homer is a no-go, so it takes a long trip to Anchorage to buy the darn stuff.
    I bought the Lyman TUFNUT and Corncob Green for my tumbler and had some pretty dirty cases. I went against the instructions of using the course first and then the finer Corn. I mixed em half and half and had a very nice outcome after about 6 or more hours of tumbling. A few of the real nasties I put back in for a couple more hours and they look just fine now. Looks like I can run alot more loads through the same batch too. Seems to hold up pretty well. Two 6 pound jugs should last me my lifetime, but that's cuz I'm 3 days older than dirt myself...............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Around here in Fairbanks I go to a cement products outfit and get raw crushed walnut shell. Its cheap, but it does break down a little faster than the treated stuff, as in it gets a little dusty. Comes in 50lb bags if I remember right.
    Screen the breakdown particals out ever now and then. You can recycle this stuff alot of batches before adding too much new to it.

Go to a pet stuff and buy a 20 pound bag of crushed walnut hulls. Cheap, and works better than anything else I ever tried. Rice works as well and if you buy a big bag at Costco sometimes it is cheaper than the walnut hulls.
    Tennessee

I'm pretty into my own used brass and at times may get some nasty looking pickup brass at the range. My own brass I take good care of and is easy to clean. Range brass is another story, but worth spending the time to clean at todays brass prices. Dumb as I is, I leave all range brass behind that don't fit my guns. Might be worth picking it all off the ground, clean it up and sell it as used brass. Just a thought.
    Thanks guys, you all just gave me an idea.

I use stainless steel media and a couple drops of dish soap. Will last forever if you don't loose it.

Before.

After

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Checked out SS tumbling media. Large volume dealers for industry, but there are folks selling it for small scale users like jewelers and reloaders.

OR you could use a size 2 or 3 steel shot for shotguns, but would have to take care to not let it rust too much.

If anyone in the Fairbanks area has any dirty brass or range pickups, I would be willing to clean a batch for them to show them how well SS works.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thank you for the info Stid. Never woulda guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I use stainless steel media and a couple drops of dish soap. Will last forever if you don't loose it.

Steve
    Are you getting those results with a rotary or vibrating tumbler?

Yeah I'm curious too Steve, seems I remember your having a Rotary Rock Tumbler, and the website suggests that Stainless can't be used in a Vibratory Tumbler,
    Do you know, or has anyone tried it in a Vibratory machine with good results?

Sure seems like it would work
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Yeah I'm curious too Steve, seems I remember your having a Rotary Rock Tumbler, and the website suggests that Stainless can't be used in a Vibratory Tumbler,
    Do you know, or has anyone tried it in a Vibratory machine with good results?

Sure seems like it would work
    I use a tumbler and water. Don't know if it would work in a vibratory machine or not. I still use my vibrator and corncob media to give them a quick shine and to remove the sizing wax, but the media last a long time because the brass is already clean.

Steve
    Founding Member

Zilla Lizard bedding from Petco. Ground english walnut. Add a little mineral spirits and some metal polish. Helps keep dust down and cleans em up good.

http://www.petco.com/product/102881/...Bedding-102881