Last night I reloaded 100 once fired 243 cases. I know they were once fired because I loaded them initially for a friends Savage 110. He shot the bullets up traded the gun and gave me the brass back. Not only that but I use a blue fine permanent marker and make a line across the face of the case and primer indicating that it was my reload and that it was the first go around for that case. Orange for the second go around, green=3, brown=4, slate(black works)=5. Rarely do any make five without getting left lay somewhere.
I full length sized these brass because they were going to be shot out of a different gun. I seated the bullets to about .025 off the lands. The dies used were the standard Hornady 2 die set.
This morning when I got to the range I discovered 47 of these hundred chambered like brand new ones. With 48 of them the bolt would close but there was more than normal resistance. With 5 of them the bolt either wouldn't close or I wasn't willing to push it that hard. I shot the 47 that fit like they were suppose to and brought the rest home to be pulled and evaluated to see why they didn't fit.
Once at home....The bullets were not seated too long. The primers were all seated to past flush! The only tell tale sign on the brass was that the base of the shell that goes against the bolt face was all shined up on the hard to chamber ones. There were no marks on the shoulder etc.
After pulling the bullet I took two of the brass to the belt sander and sanded the neck clear down to the first bevel thus removing the case neck completely and there was no change...they still chambered hard.
Then I started looking at the gun. I cleaned the locking lug mortises and the bolt face real good just to make sure there wasn't some crap binding up in there. No change.
I have had brass before that were shot in a oversize chamber that sized hard as did some of these and even though were full length resized they were still real snug in a tight chambered gun if they would go at all. However this time it's just some of them. Either they should all fit or none of them fit rather being hit and miss.
The dies were set so that shell holder was coming up against the bottom of the die as the press handle bottomed out!