Thread: Western artic Caribou Hunt

Default Western artic Caribou Hunt

I am looking at doing a western artic caribou hunt this fall, I have never been out that way. And with the price of fuel I dought that the buget will permit some pre season scouting. I fly a Super Cub with above average skills. Does anyone have thoughts on where they get their fuel and drainages or rivers with landing spots.

If you fly in Unit 23 you have to take ADF&G test to transport any meat or hunting gear. Just an FYI

Thanks for the info, I went to ADF&G web site and passed the online test.

I took the test also, but just don't understand why the natives want us to fly low over there camps, set camp close to them and travel on the north sides of the rivers. Guess they just love airplanes and find safety in numbers in camps. All I can say is I'll try my best to do my part.

It helps to identify any possible future witnesses to poaching activity.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Reposting question to get more input

I have talked with several people that park their A/C near me. Not alot of experience to be found out in that area. Any one who has some experience out there, That could offer some thoughts on the logistics to pull off this hunt would be great.
    Last edited by CUBDRVR; 08-07-2011 at 12:32. Reason: Miss spelled word

You can get avgas in Kotz with Crowley and I heard yesterday it is over $8.00 pumped into the wing. Mo-gas can be had in most villages, cash talks.

As for the caribou, they have been coming through the region later and later each year. They have started to work their way south as I type. Your best bet is just go and fly around. The Aggie and Squirrel Rivers are good. There will be lots of camps. The Noatak has a control use area (No Planes), check out the Parks Rules. The Selawik NWR has pretty good hunting if you are on floats mid to later Sept.

Great Country, good luck.

Mike
    Nome, Alaska