Thread: win mod 70 tac 20

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default win mod 70 tac 20

Loaded with 26.5 gr of benchmark, 40 gr shroeder fmj bullets, these are the groups I squeezed out, good enough for head shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 012.JPG   011.JPG  
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I had to look this one up. I would suspect that the groups are sub-standard. From what I read, I would think that you should be ableto stack the bullets one top of each other. If you have the resources it might be worth your time to try other bullets. It does sound like a fun one to work with.
    Good luck and have fun with it. Keep us posted on how it does.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I had to look this one up. I would suspect that the groups are sub-standard. From what I read, I would think that you should be ableto stack the bullets one top of each other. If you have the resources it might be worth your time to try other bullets. It does sound like a fun one to work with.
    Good luck and have fun with it. Keep us posted on how it does.
    I rushed the shots, the sun was going down, they were new bullets I never loaded, the vmax and bergers are right on, (first 2 shots one in diamond and I jerked the one berger up high) Then I shot the fmjs at he little diamonds, first group at low left, then high right, I then slowed down and shot the last group at the lower right diamond, from 200yrds, I'm happy with the results. They would do better if I relaxed and focused on one load. Vmax and bergers are for fox and the fmjs are for marine mammals.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Nice combination! Been wanting one of the .20s for a long time...
    Funny though, i'm not used to seeing those tiny holes in an Alaska post. :-D

OK, 200 yd groups these are not too bad. I thought that they were the usual 100 yd groupings. Besides shooting off a pack as closer to actual hunting conditions. It will be interesting to see what damage they do on game.

Used to own a 20 Tac and suggest you try the Hornady bullets, they are either 33 or 34 grain. You should be able to easily shoot groups under 1/2 at 100 yards using the Hornady's and Varget, Benchmark, 8208, etc. The rifle was not picky at all. Amazing little cartridge
    Tennessee