Thread: .358 norma mag

Default .358 norma mag

I just picked up a new stainless 77 RUGER HAWKEYE in .338wm and am thinking of changing her out to .358 NORMA. Already have a .30 BELTED NEWTON and a .458wm.
    My question is, should I have the existing barrel bored out to .358 and cut and crowned or buy another barrel? Does anyone in Alaska do this? If not, where should i look? Thanks for any input.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    I just picked up a new stainless 77 RUGER HAWKEYE in .338wm and am thinking of changing her out to .358 NORMA. Already have a .30 BELTED NEWTON and a .458wm.
    My question is, should I have the existing barrel bored out to .358 and cut and crowned or buy another barrel? Does anyone in Alaska do this? If not, where should i look? Thanks for any input.
    Goo
    IMO the only reason to rebore instead of rebarrel is that the existing barrel is difficult to duplicate (octagon, stepped barrels, multiple dovetails, etc.) or it has markings/stampings that you would like to keep original. Otherwise, rebarreling is a superior option. In your case I would recommend rebarreling.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the input, kind of thought the same. Just hated to have another new barrel laying around unused , but if i do this project want to do her right!!
    Goo

Do it right.....

Cool cartridge. classy and Euro-Hunterish. Blonde girls, fine wines, cold Nordic Forests, old money.

Pac Nor or Lilja, 22 inch with barrel band front sight with flip beads, express or NECG rear. Barrel band swivel. Loose the cheesy Ruger stock, substitute hi grade synthetic. Have engraved on barrel "Dod pa tundra" (swedish for Death on the Tundra) in like Gothic script. Checker bolt handle. Nitride. 250 grain A Frame with 71 grains of Norma 204. Or 310 grain Woodliegh, 65 grains RL17 (work your own loads up dont trust me). QD rings with 1.25x5 or close to that power Loopy or Trij (with post) or, for the true well heeled conno-swoire 1.5x6 Zeiss Victory.

Yummy. Im inspired. I think Ill tinker with something before work. Call the Kid when he gets back from Safari Club Dallas, he is a .35 fruit

Sounds like a VERY expensive conversion - a gunsmith's dream

And when you are finished - you still have a Ruger 77.

If you are going to all that trouble and expense start with a pre-64 Mdl 70 or FN commerical mauser action. A Remington Mdl 30 action also wouldn't be bad for this cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Do it right.....

Cool cartridge. classy and Euro-Hunterish. Blonde girls, fine wines, cold Nordic Forests, old money.

Pac Nor or Lilja, 22 inch with barrel band front sight with flip beads, express or NECG rear. Barrel band swivel. Loose the cheesy Ruger stock, substitute hi grade synthetic. Have engraved on barrel "Dod pa tundra" (swedish for Death on the Tundra) in like Gothic script. Checker bolt handle. Nitride. 250 grain A Frame with 71 grains of Norma 204. Or 310 grain Woodliegh, 65 grains RL17 (work your own loads up dont trust me). QD rings with 1.25x5 or close to that power Loopy or Trij (with post) or, for the true well heeled conno-swoire 1.5x6 Zeiss Victory.

Yummy. Im inspired. I think Ill tinker with something before work. Call the Kid when he gets back from Safari Club Dallas, he is a .35 fruit
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

the .358 norma looses steam pretty fast in a short barrel configuration.....as slow powder is needed to boost velocity above that of a .35 whelen. my rifle (husqvarna action- #4 contour shilen ) is 25" which sounds long but infact carries and points as a rifle should.

great caliber undersold here in the U.S. but very popular in the nordic countries as a supreme moose killer.
    happy trails.
    jh

25 inches isn't long. 29.1 inches is starting to get long.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I run a 26" tube on mine. 3000 fps with 225-grain Swift A-Frames.

My model 700 has a 24" barrel and shoots the Hornady 250's around 2750 or the Nosler 225 Accubond at 2950. It really does a number on whitetails.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

My Norma wears a 22" tube. 2800-2850 is still obtainable with 225's. I haven't done much development with 250's yet.

Mine is a P14 enfield with a 24" barrel and hits 2880 with a 250gr Barnes cup and core but it does have a fair amount of freebore. I would rebarrel rather than rebore. Leaves you with a 338 barrel to sell or reinstall later.

Looking forward to loading up the 280 A-frames in mine. With the 22" tube should make a great close-in thumper. Use the 250g hot cores for bunny and deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    Use the 250g hot cores for bunny and deer hunting.
    Having shot a large raccoon with a 225gr Accubond, I can't imagine there's much left of a rabbit hit with a 250 gr. Hot-cor.