Thread: The sun, the sun, I saw the sun!

Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush

Default The sun, the sun, I saw the sun!

Yes, got to see the whole glorious orb of the sun yesterday for the first time in a while, finally getting up high enough into the hills:

We had trail to the base of the steeper section of this hill, daughter skijored ahead of me with one dog and I took the team of six dogs behind her. She switched from x-country skis to snowshoes to then break trail in front of all the dogs and me:

Steeper than it looks, here's a shot looking back downhill:

That is the section that always causes a huge pucker factor coming down <grin>. That's the river down there in the background middle left of pic.

We had to turn around about 3/4 of the way up the hill to make it home before dark. Hardest section is done, only a dozen marten sets on this hill but it's not far from home, once trail is in you can get up and back in a few hours, 2 1/2 hours up, half hour back <grin>!

Here's where we turned around, daughter snapped a pic of me as we were about to take her skis off the toboggan and she skied back down and I drove the team:

Beautiful sunset, kind of a cool weather day too, was -5, balmy, and a weird layer of fog laying at about 1500', went through that then above and was neat to see it down in the valley with all the hills rising above it.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

summer is just around the corner.............

I love the silence ad solitude of winter, but boy do I miss cool early morning hikes and watching the sun come up while eating breakfast in an alpine valley. This country is good in all forms.

Great photos and stories Mark, I am always excited to read your posts. Keep warm.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Great photos and stories Mark, I am always excited to read your posts. Keep warm.
    +1 and be safe!