Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Anchor Lines/Rodes what do you guys use ??

  1. #1
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default Anchor Lines/Rodes what do you guys use ??

    What do you guys like? I'm sure its Nylon but 3 strand twisted? Braid ? Double Braid? 3/8", 1/2" ?? Length? 300ft, 600Ft ?? I'm thinking of getting some nylon for anchor lines so i need a idea of whats most popular ?? One other thing its going to be USA made line!!

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  2. #2
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    I use samson purse line. I would like to find a lighter skinnier sinking line w/ the same characteristics , cheaper hopefully

  3. #3
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What do you guys like? I'm sure its Nylon but 3 strand twisted? Braid ? Double Braid? 3/8", 1/2" ?? Length? 300ft, 600Ft ?? I'm thinking of getting some nylon for anchor lines so i need a idea of whats most popular ?? One other thing its going to be USA made line!!
    600ft of 3/8 inch 3 strand twisted nylon.

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I use 600' of 1/2" nylon three strand twisted. I also keep a spare 600' as a spare to go along with an extra 40' of 3/8" chain and a spare anchor. You might think about stocking chain, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5
    Member Blue Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Anchor Pt
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I use 600' of the 1/2" 8 plait (spelling?). I love it as it does not twist, kink and it piles way better than the 3 strand, letting you put more rope in the anchor locker, with less hassle. It is the same spec. or better than the 3 strand twist.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

  6. #6

    Default

    1000ft, 5/8", 8-Plait Nylon, no rats nest or knots

    All in the nose of a Hewescraft Ocean Pro


    These people were great to work with and had good pricing http://secosouth.com/

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Jonsboat I like your capstan, is it electric? How does it work for pulling the anchor does it have enough poop? Lastly where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks

  8. #8
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/ I use an ez anchor puller. It is an electric 12 volt Ramsey winch. I think it is a model 10# 500ft 3/8 braided line. What I like about it is I can pull and set the anchor with out leaving the cabin and I do not have to mess with the chain or line. It is a power up and power down. Been using this brand of puller since 1993.

  9. #9
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,889

    Default

    600' of 3/8 double braid and I use the ring and buoy method to pull it.
    I also have some good galvanized chain on the end.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  10. #10
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Jonsboat I like your capstan, is it electric? How does it work for pulling the anchor does it have enough poop? Lastly where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks
    How about one of these Jeff, bet it has more balls than just about any electric unit out there. I'll have one to look at at the shows later this spring.
    Attachment 44134

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Jonsboat I like your capstan, is it electric? How does it work for pulling the anchor does it have enough poop? Lastly where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks
    It is a discontinued Power Winch that I purchased on Ebay cheap as New left over, It is probably comparable to the current model 300, not much poop. It is electric, operated by a toggle on the unit.

    I put it on to use untill I find the right deal on a windlass I can operate from the pilot seat.

  12. #12

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I use 600' of 1/2" nylon three strand twisted. I also keep a spare 600' as a spare to go along with an extra 40' of 3/8" chain and a spare anchor. You might think about stocking chain, too.
    Same for me.

  14. #14
    Member Kidless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I'm using 520' by 1/2" nylon 3 strand twisted, 40' by 5/16" type 316 SS chain, & a 33 lb Bruce on a EZ anchor puller #1513. Will be adding a tad more weight to the boat before spring w/ another complete set as a backup {same stuff}.

  15. #15
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Three Strand for me , easier on the hands [ Grip ] for pulling on and cost less than other types of rode.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    53

    Default

    A no brainer for me: http://www.secosouth.com/category/an...odes_info.html

    8 plait; 1/2 inch. Works great with the Lewmar windlass. Excellent service and quality product.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/ I use an ez anchor puller. It is an electric 12 volt Ramsey winch. I think it is a model 10# 500ft 3/8 braided line. What I like about it is I can pull and set the anchor with out leaving the cabin and I do not have to mess with the chain or line. It is a power up and power down. Been using this brand of puller since 1993.
    Would agree with Captaindd, the ezanchorpuller is the boom. Recessed into the bow it has a low profile. I'm sure your using the #12 though Dennis. I'm using nearly 600' of 3/8 double braid and 30-40ft of 1/4" chain with a 22 or 33lb claw anchor. With both cabin and bow controls the winch can be controlled in the cabin or outside. Just make sure you keep 30" from the spool to the bow roller to allow a more even rope spooling. I went with 24" as they recommended and should have gone a tad longer. I use to use a lewmar and 1/2" triple braid. Quite frankly this system sucks compared the the ez. Knotting was a pain once the rope aged and would ball up in the locker. The ez can be ordered through AK Frontier Fabrication to save some bucks over shipping via UPS to AK. I would also recommend using the 4" wide machined aluminum roller they offer if you build your own pulpit. Excellent quailty! A number #12 w/ roller ($85) shipped to AK runs $2185. Requires #2 wire and a good pair of batteries and having high amp alternators is nice as well. Not required but less drain on the batteries.

    Heres a pic of a recessed ez.


  18. #18
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    very interesting topic, as I am in the market for a new rhode. I in contradiction to most have been using 3/4" poly fo r years,
    pulling with a buoy. the part i like the most with the poly is that it floats, after the anchor is pulled and set in the buoy, it is VERY easy to drive to the buoy with my helper free wheeling the line in upon the bow. The dislikes are, there is no stretch as compared to double braid, that coupled with the buoyancy of the line and extreme cook inlet tides, leads to more dragging than I like. it is a little tough on the hands, just need to have non girly hands to pull it i guess? and since it is floating it is real easy to pull.
    need to check out this 8-plait nylon though, i like the thought of no kinking. one question i have is wearability on it, as my rhode usually sits out on the bow and not spooled up on a windlass or stored in hold? does ultra violet affect it much?

  19. #19
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default

    650 of 3 twisted with tags stitched every 50 feet
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  20. #20
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    very interesting topic, as I am in the market for a new rhode. I in contradiction to most have been using 3/4" poly fo r years,
    pulling with a buoy. the part i like the most with the poly is that it floats, after the anchor is pulled and set in the buoy, it is VERY easy to drive to the buoy with my helper free wheeling the line in upon the bow. The dislikes are, there is no stretch as compared to double braid, that coupled with the buoyancy of the line and extreme cook inlet tides, leads to more dragging than I like. it is a little tough on the hands, just need to have non girly hands to pull it i guess? and since it is floating it is real easy to pull.
    need to check out this 8-plait nylon though, i like the thought of no kinking. one question i have is wearability on it, as my rhode usually sits out on the bow and not spooled up on a windlass or stored in hold? does ultra violet affect it much?
    Are you really using 3/4" or is it a typo??

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •