Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Lines/Rodes what do you guys use ??

Default Anchor Lines/Rodes what do you guys use ??

What do you guys like? I'm sure its Nylon but 3 strand twisted? Braid ? Double Braid? 3/8", 1/2" ?? Length? 300ft, 600Ft ?? I'm thinking of getting some nylon for anchor lines so i need a idea of whats most popular ?? One other thing its going to be USA made line!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I use samson purse line. I would like to find a lighter skinnier sinking line w/ the same characteristics , cheaper hopefully

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    What do you guys like? I'm sure its Nylon but 3 strand twisted? Braid ? Double Braid? 3/8", 1/2" ?? Length? 300ft, 600Ft ?? I'm thinking of getting some nylon for anchor lines so i need a idea of whats most popular ?? One other thing its going to be USA made line!!
    600ft of 3/8 inch 3 strand twisted nylon.

I use 600' of 1/2" nylon three strand twisted. I also keep a spare 600' as a spare to go along with an extra 40' of 3/8" chain and a spare anchor. You might think about stocking chain, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I use 600' of the 1/2" 8 plait (spelling?). I love it as it does not twist, kink and it piles way better than the 3 strand, letting you put more rope in the anchor locker, with less hassle. It is the same spec. or better than the 3 strand twist.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

1000ft, 5/8", 8-Plait Nylon, no rats nest or knots

All in the nose of a Hewescraft Ocean Pro

These people were great to work with and had good pricing http://secosouth.com/

Jonsboat I like your capstan, is it electric? How does it work for pulling the anchor does it have enough poop? Lastly where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks

http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/ I use an ez anchor puller. It is an electric 12 volt Ramsey winch. I think it is a model 10# 500ft 3/8 braided line. What I like about it is I can pull and set the anchor with out leaving the cabin and I do not have to mess with the chain or line. It is a power up and power down. Been using this brand of puller since 1993.

600' of 3/8 double braid and I use the ring and buoy method to pull it.
    I also have some good galvanized chain on the end.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Jonsboat I like your capstan, is it electric? How does it work for pulling the anchor does it have enough poop? Lastly where did you get it and how much was it? Thanks
    How about one of these Jeff, bet it has more balls than just about any electric unit out there. I'll have one to look at at the shows later this spring.
    Attachment 44134

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    It is a discontinued Power Winch that I purchased on Ebay cheap as New left over, It is probably comparable to the current model 300, not much poop. It is electric, operated by a toggle on the unit.

I put it on to use untill I find the right deal on a windlass I can operate from the pilot seat.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I use 600' of 1/2" nylon three strand twisted. I also keep a spare 600' as a spare to go along with an extra 40' of 3/8" chain and a spare anchor. You might think about stocking chain, too.
    Same for me.

I'm using 520' by 1/2" nylon 3 strand twisted, 40' by 5/16" type 316 SS chain, & a 33 lb Bruce on a EZ anchor puller #1513. Will be adding a tad more weight to the boat before spring w/ another complete set as a backup {same stuff}.

Three Strand for me , easier on the hands [ Grip ] for pulling on and cost less than other types of rode.

A no brainer for me: http://www.secosouth.com/category/an...odes_info.html

8 plait; 1/2 inch. Works great with the Lewmar windlass. Excellent service and quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/ I use an ez anchor puller. It is an electric 12 volt Ramsey winch. I think it is a model 10# 500ft 3/8 braided line. What I like about it is I can pull and set the anchor with out leaving the cabin and I do not have to mess with the chain or line. It is a power up and power down. Been using this brand of puller since 1993.
    Would agree with Captaindd, the ezanchorpuller is the boom. Recessed into the bow it has a low profile. I'm sure your using the #12 though Dennis. I'm using nearly 600' of 3/8 double braid and 30-40ft of 1/4" chain with a 22 or 33lb claw anchor. With both cabin and bow controls the winch can be controlled in the cabin or outside. Just make sure you keep 30" from the spool to the bow roller to allow a more even rope spooling. I went with 24" as they recommended and should have gone a tad longer. I use to use a lewmar and 1/2" triple braid. Quite frankly this system sucks compared the the ez. Knotting was a pain once the rope aged and would ball up in the locker. The ez can be ordered through AK Frontier Fabrication to save some bucks over shipping via UPS to AK. I would also recommend using the 4" wide machined aluminum roller they offer if you build your own pulpit. Excellent quailty! A number #12 w/ roller ($85) shipped to AK runs $2185. Requires #2 wire and a good pair of batteries and having high amp alternators is nice as well. Not required but less drain on the batteries.

Heres a pic of a recessed ez.

Charterboat Operator

very interesting topic, as I am in the market for a new rhode. I in contradiction to most have been using 3/4" poly fo r years,
    pulling with a buoy. the part i like the most with the poly is that it floats, after the anchor is pulled and set in the buoy, it is VERY easy to drive to the buoy with my helper free wheeling the line in upon the bow. The dislikes are, there is no stretch as compared to double braid, that coupled with the buoyancy of the line and extreme cook inlet tides, leads to more dragging than I like. it is a little tough on the hands, just need to have non girly hands to pull it i guess? and since it is floating it is real easy to pull.
    need to check out this 8-plait nylon though, i like the thought of no kinking. one question i have is wearability on it, as my rhode usually sits out on the bow and not spooled up on a windlass or stored in hold? does ultra violet affect it much?

650 of 3 twisted with tags stitched every 50 feet
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    very interesting topic, as I am in the market for a new rhode. I in contradiction to most have been using 3/4" poly fo r years,
    pulling with a buoy. the part i like the most with the poly is that it floats, after the anchor is pulled and set in the buoy, it is VERY easy to drive to the buoy with my helper free wheeling the line in upon the bow. The dislikes are, there is no stretch as compared to double braid, that coupled with the buoyancy of the line and extreme cook inlet tides, leads to more dragging than I like. it is a little tough on the hands, just need to have non girly hands to pull it i guess? and since it is floating it is real easy to pull.
    need to check out this 8-plait nylon though, i like the thought of no kinking. one question i have is wearability on it, as my rhode usually sits out on the bow and not spooled up on a windlass or stored in hold? does ultra violet affect it much?
    Are you really using 3/4" or is it a typo??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast