Thread: Anyone have experience with Big Agnes Tents?

Default Anyone have experience with Big Agnes Tents?

Hi all,

Looking at tents for light weight solo trips. Does anyone have any field experience with the Big Agnes tents, especially the Copper Spur UL1 or the Fly Creek UL2 models? The Fly Creek UL2 has caught my attention because it weighs in at approximately 2 lbs 10 oz plus another 5 oz for the footprint. While from reading the reviews and looking at it's dimensions don't make it sound like a great 2 man tent, it seems like it could work well as a spacious solo tent and still weigh less than 3 lbs. I'm mostly interested in how it handles wet rainy weather and whether or not condensation becomes an issue with this tent. I'd also be interested to hear any comments on other Big Agnes tents or any other brands for that matter. Thanks.

bairdi

I have a Seedhouse SL1. At 6'3" I fill 'er up. Slant vestibules suck. I put my rain cover on the pack and zip the door down over the small portion of the pack it will cover. It has done me good on numerous sheep hunts but I will be upgrading.

If you want a good vestibule AND a lite tent look at the Hilleberg Akto or the Terra Nova Laser, Laser Comp, or Laser Photon. The Laser is my next tent. Have witnessed condensation issues with the Akto. Still a good tent and part of the problem could have been from being stuck in it for days in a storm, but I don't think the Laser series would have that issue with the adequate venting they have.

Another thing to think of is if you are looking for ultralite tents why are you going to add a footprint? Defeats the purpose unless you are camping on razors.

Northway here has the copper spur (I think). Might give him a nudge to see how he likes it.

I have the Fly Creek UL2. I would say that it is not for two people lol. My wife and I have used it a couple of times but it is very cozy. I don't mind being that close to my wife but I refuse to use it with one of my friends. I have been luck on my trips with it and have yet to have rain. It has been in some fairly heavy winds and seems to buck the wind just fine. I did use on the Haul Rd this year and we had the fog role in. The tent has about 2 inch gap between the fly and the ground. I woke up once during the night and swear the fog had moved into my tent! I haven't had condensation, the tent walls are almost all mesh with the fly providing the "solid wall". This allows for pretty good air exchange but is also the reason the fog came in. My biggest complaint is the vestibule, I wish it was alot bigger. My Barney's pack takes up the entire space with little room for anything else, and it is a pain if you have to get up to take a leak in the midle of the night. The great thing is the size and weight. I can fit my tent, pad, and bag in the side pockets of my pack. I think the tent, pad and bag come in at under 10 pounds.
    Attachment 44114

Thanks for the replies. After a quick look online it looks like the Terra Nova may be my new first choice.

mod elan- Have you seen these tents in person yet? The materials look similar to those used in the Hilleberg tents, however they don't say what exactly they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I have the Fly Creek UL2. I would say that it is not for two people lol. My wife and I have used it a couple of times but it is very cozy. I don't mind being that close to my wife but I refuse to use it with one of my friends. I have been luck on my trips with it and have yet to have rain. It has been in some fairly heavy winds and seems to buck the wind just fine. I did use on the Haul Rd this year and we had the fog role in. The tent has about 2 inch gap between the fly and the ground. I woke up once during the night and swear the fog had moved into my tent! I haven't had condensation, the tent walls are almost all mesh with the fly providing the "solid wall". This allows for pretty good air exchange but is also the reason the fog came in. My biggest complaint is the vestibule, I wish it was alot bigger. My Barney's pack takes up the entire space with little room for anything else, and it is a pain if you have to get up to take a leak in the midle of the night. The great thing is the size and weight. I can fit my tent, pad, and bag in the side pockets of my pack. I think the tent, pad and bag come in at under 10 pounds.
    Attachment 44114

yoru picture not working, can you post it so i can see.
    Semper Fi!

bairdi-Alaska mountaineering hardware in anchorage had one set up the last two times I was in there. Moontrail has real good write-ups on most all the tents and usually has multiple real life pictures of them set up with a person in or next to them. Lots of good info there.

I have heard good things about Big Agnes in general. Mostly reading about them in Backpacker magazine over the years. I have a Black Diamond Guiding Light and it is very light weight for it's size. Black Diamond makes many smaller ultralight tents and has a great reputation. You might want to compare Black Diamond's offerings against Big Agnes.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Great tents. Big House 6 is our big river tent. Accommodates 4 cots plus very large vestibule.
    More in this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ig+agnes+tents

Other informative BA tent threads:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ig+agnes+tents

AKDSLDOG listed pros/cons on his BA tent: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ig+agnes+tents

General tent discussions:
    Mike Strahan lays out some questions about performance requirements in this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ig+agnes+tents

Tents for big guys:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...5408-What-tent

Long thread on tents for river camping:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...+river+camping

Good luck.

Great post Dwight.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i bought the agnes ul3 for a Mt Goat hunt in Kodiak October 2011. spiked at base of mountain and during setup noticed it had a mesh ceiling for better ventilation, but i could feel the winf kicking up under the fly. fortunately there was plenty of very thick spongy moss and had to cut sections to lay on top og the tarp. also, throw the stakes away that come with it and buy longer ones. hope this helps. i really wished i bought a North Face VE 25 3/man, bt its $250 more and weighs 10lbs instead of three pounds.

Used my BA copper spur UL 3 man for sheep. 2nd year using it and it was great. Slept three guys in it, a bit crowded. Sleeping pads filled the tent. Only knock on it is it REALLY holds condensation on the fly. Can't figure that out will all the screen up there. Light and a great 2 man ten!

I just got the BA Fly Creek UL2. I agree with the fellow who said calling it a 2-man is generous- You'd be snuggling. I got it so I can camp with my dog. I'm hoping it holds up. The reviews I've read are mixed- it's very thin materials (thus the light weight) so it's not the toughest tent in the world and it's got one heck of a goofy way of clipping the body to the poles right in the center- they use this little button slider instead of a clip, which is just weird and I've read that people have had that little button break. On a positive note, every single place I've read about Big Agnes, people have said they stand behind their products 100% and that if you experience a failure they will fix or replace ASAP. That's why I was willing to chance it on the UL2. Oh, it's also only partly free-standing. In order to get full inside dimensions, and a taut fly pitch, it must be staked out. It comes with 11 stakes but I counted 12 stakeout points so I added a stake. The stakes it comes with are rather short. I think they'd be fine in dirt but in tussocks or tundra they'd pull out. But most stakes don't work well in tussocks and tundra.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Just got from two sheep hunts using the copper spur 3 and loved it. Tons of room for two just over 4 lbs we could get all or gear in tent two pads and lots of personal space and best of all two generous vestibules. Spent three nights and over 60 hours stuck in the tent at over 5,000 ft in heavy rain, constant wind with gust up to 25, and 15 yrd fog with no condensation or issues at all. I am a fan appears to be a great tent, I was a little worried as the tent floor is very light but we had to pitch in some rock (we cleared out the sharp stuff as best we could) and it came through great. We spent a total of ten days in the tent so by no means a long term test but so far so good!