Thread: Outboard cover while trailering? Transom saver?

Default Outboard cover while trailering? Transom saver?

I now have a Lund 16 with a Yammi 40hp 2 stroke. First time trailering an outboard.

Should I use a cowl or full cowl/leg cover while trailering? Or for storage?

How about a transom saver to trailer with the leg up?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    I now have a Lund 16 with a Yammi 40hp 2 stroke. First time trailering an outboard.

If possible, leave the motor in the down position while running as this causes the least amount of stress on the transom while trailering.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post

It will be fine if you just do nothing. A 40 hp 2-stroke is really light and the transom plenty strong. I wouldn't sweat that at all. Leaving it down is a good idea as the previous poster offered - that is if the skeg doesn't drag on the ground...LOL. As far as the cover, it will keep it nicer if you venture off the pavement often on crappy roads. And it will help with UV fading from the sun while storing it. However, on the highway, I have towed outboards on the back of the boat that still look new after 20 years. It is not needed at all.

I had a 16ft jon boat with a 55hp outboard for several years. I trailered it with the motor down ( it had a jet pump on it most of the time) and with a canvas cover over the cowl. Neither the transom nor the motor suffered from travel along the alaskan roads, the cover kept the cowl looking like new with exception to a couple of places (small) where the paint rubbed through do to the wind effect while being towed. I would recommend towing and storing with a cover, especialy a cloth cover so that it will not trap moisture.

also..... when towing its a good idea to use a piece of rope or even a small ratchet strap to hold the lower unit in place and avoid a side to side swing as you turn corners that could potentially damage the steering linkage.

-Akiceman25

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    also..... when towing its a good idea to use a piece of rope or even a small ratchet strap to hold the lower unit in place and avoid a side to side swing as you turn corners that could potentially damage the steering linkage.

-Akiceman25
    Good advice, somehow I was picturing a remote steering boat in my mind.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Good advice, somehow I was picturing a remote steering boat in my mind.....
    You're probably right, I pictured the other. lol

-akiceman25

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post

-Akiceman25
    I use a bungee cord while trailering mine. In the down position.
    I don't own a cover, but looks don't matter on my old stuff.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it