Thread: How short can I trim 45/70 brass?

Default How short can I trim 45/70 brass?

Hello,

I hunt deer in Indiana and there are proposed changes to allow cartridges up to 1.8 inches in length to be used for deer hunting. Currently it is slugs, muzzleloaders, and cartridges less than 1.625 inches. Several people have bought rifles chambered in 44 mag to hunt with.

I have a bolt action Navy Arms Lee Enfield in 45/70. . Would it be possible to cut a 45/70 down to 1.8 inches and still shoot it through this bolt action? Any thoughts - good or bad?
    I typically shoot a slug gun, but my daughters want me to take them hunting next season and the slug gun kicks too hard for them. Thought maybe I could download this 45/70 mild enough for them since I already have reloading equipment.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Andy

The short answer is you can trim them as short as you want as long as they are big enough to hold some powder and a bullet and have enough power to exit the barrel. You could single feed as well.

The other issue is your local F&G may of set up this requirement using "standard deminsions". So even though you trim below what is it required it might not do you any good.

Call up your local officials and ask them.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe,
    That is a good point about checking with F&G about standard demensions. I will definetly check this out. Currently a 500 S&W is legal to hunt with and a cut down 45/70 would have less velocity but it all depends on how the regs are written I guess.

I know its fighting city hall...but the lgoic escapse me, 1.8 inches good, 1.9 inches bad? Safe firearms handling is the answer.

Reminds me of Colorado and Parker Ackley in the 1950's....the overseers decreed center fire cartridges greater than 22 cal were required for big game hunting, so he came up with the .23 cal cartridges.

I have the No4 Enfiled 45-70 Navy Arms as well, seems to be a pretty good gun. Shoots fine with factory loads, by my relaods often fail to extract, even light loads. Does yours work ok? thanks!

Don't know how old or size of your girls but a muzzle loader backed down sure can be pleasant to shoot?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Allen-ak, As of now I have not shot any of my reloads through the Enfield - only factory stuff. I will try some of my reloads and let you know how it does.

Smokey, I was kind of thinking about the muzzleloader too. If I back it down enough to reduce the kick and still shoot pretty good out to 75 yards or so I bet they could handle it just fine. They will be 12 and 9 by next season. I am pretty stoked that they are wanting to go. Indiana has a 2 day youth season in the end of September which we will try. Will be plenty warm but I can quarter it up and get it in the garage fridge to cool out.
    We have 4 kids - all girls, so I hope they enjoy it so I will have hunting budies that the wife will like. Ha Ha

Or, buy a rifle chambered for say 45LC as that would do the trick out to 75 yards nicely... For that matter a rifle in 357 mag could be considered...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....