Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King setup

Default King setup

What setups are you all using for the Kings? I will mostly be fishing in Willow Creek and probably some others along the Parks Highway. Also any lure tips would be great. I know Vibrax and Pixies but what sizes for kings? 4 and 5 Vibrax worked good for humpies and silvers when I was there last time..

We are not using anything right now as we are full swing in hard water fishing. But, a #5 blue pixie works sometimes. If bait is legal, that is eggs, it is hard to beat using those. If you are fishing out of a boat, a K-15 or K-16 will work too if you can find a nice hole.

#6 Blue pixie gets down to the fish better.

It's what I caught my only King on this year.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Check regs, but slip bobbers and salmon eggs are a go-to option.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Backbouncing roe on a spin & glo if legal is a good set-up...Willow and Sheep creeks are packed with people so a large orange and black Vibrax or a squid attached to a Gamakatsu hook with some weight work well too...hopefully the run is better than last years!

Sapper in the Skies

PM me and I will share.

You will find that there are lots of opinions on choices of lure/bait for king salmon in the valley. I have my own preferences also. It really depends on which body of water your fishing, the specifics of the depth, current change every year. Whether your fishing from a boat or from the bank. There are other considerations including...the regulations. I could write a chapter in a book about this.

I take a little something something for any situation I may encounter. Basically here is my toolbox Hardware: I would think big sizes in-line spinners as you mentioned any brand will work / slow and low retrieve as the fish are on the bottom. (I suggest #6 Vibrax blue body silver blade) This is a go to lure for me.

kwik fish can be casted and bounced or reeled from the shore also. I always carry a couple of kwik fish depending on the conditions.

Plastics / corkys (i like the following combinations corkys and yarn. plastic squid and corky. spin n glow and yarn)

Roe or spawn bags work great with and without corky or spin n glow. However most location prohibit the use of bait for kings. It usually does not open to be allowed except for a couple locations.

I dont know everything, but I do catch a few kings in the valley. If you want to PM me I can help you further. No secrets here.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

You can never go wrong with the #6 Blue bodied silver blade Vibrax. Tried tested and true thats for sure... That lure catches every fish. Even Grayling...lol right Jedi??

what rods and reel setups are you guys using? Those who want me to pm i will get my post count up

I use a a few different rod/reel combos when using conventional gear. Typical for me to use a 8.5 foot long graphite med/hvy action rod and ABU 6500 series baitcaster. I actually used a Lamiglass rod last year (2010) "Kenai King" model with a ABU 6500C3. I string the reel with 20lb mono trilene xtra low vis green.

Lots of ideas people use, this is just mine. I have plenty of kings with this set up.

My favorite king set up is a lamiglass/heavy 8'6 with abu 6600 c4 reel with 25pound p-line I have 3 poles set up this way in my boat. We caught alot of kings this season with this set up. There are so many differant sets up just how money do u want to spend.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    My favorite king set up is a lamiglass/heavy 8'6 with abu 6600 c4 reel with 25pound p-line I have 3 poles set up this way in my boat. We caught alot of kings this season with this set up. There are so many differant sets up just how money do u want to spend.
    I have a c4 that i use for musky fishing and used it on my trip last year. the only thing is that is on a 6'6 rod. It is spooled w/ 20# Trilene I believe. I want a longer rod but I would prefer one that is BPS branded.

What is BPS Branded The king set up i caught alot of kings with itclear creek june 27th 007.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

For you guys using slip bobbers and roe, are you limiting that setup to slack water areas or are you drifting it through the same holes you would back-bounce with say roe and and a spin-n-glo?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    What is BPS Branded The king set up i caught alot of kings with itclear creek june 27th 007.jpg
    www.basspro.com anything with the bass pro name on it. I get 40% as an employee. Would it be a waste to put my c4 on an ugly stick?

I more meant what pound test, length of rod, rod action.

Quote Originally Posted by pk_in_ak View Post
    For you guys using slip bobbers and roe, are you limiting that setup to slack water areas or are you drifting it through the same holes you would back-bounce with say roe and and a spin-n-glo?
    I don’t just fish slack water I fish them in current too. I use a big bobber and a fairly heavy weight. I will also put a couple of split shots on the line between the bobber and the swivel some times to fine tune the drift if the water is fast I will put some on my leader too (probably wrong, but it works) to get the eggs down. I definitely miss some of the takedowns in fast water, they can be hard for me to detect, I am used to being outfished by my fishing partner, who is better at telling what is going on below than I am. Enough of the fish hit hard enough for me to get ‘em though.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

My buddy uses and swears by his ugly stick king set up. Yes ugly sticks work well also, just not my preference.

what are you guys using for line? braid mono flouro? what pound test?

Default tiny black fly

after watching all sorts of people (including me) and guides throwing everything mentioned in this post and catching next to nothing out of the weir hole on the Deshka and then giving up and leaving..............

a couple of old guys (sounds cliche but it is true) pulled up in a little boat on the bluff side mid hole and threw out tiny black flies on 12 lb mono with a tiny split shot to get it down about 20 feet out in the water from the bank..............

they hooked four kings and landed two of them in about 1 hour and then left.

I tried the same thing from the gravel bar side across from where they were fishing and hooked nothing (again)...............assume I could not get down deep enough to where they were fishing (the river is pretty wide there).

Now Ship Creek is a different story...............8 trips, 4 kings, shortest trip 10 minutes, longest trip 4 hours, bobber and eggs at "secret spot"

All of my reels are strung with mono. I prefer Trilene xtra tough in low vis mossy green 20 or 25 lb test for kings . You will have lots of opinions on line to use also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast