Thread: Weight-Forward?

Default Weight-Forward?

Okay, so I've been away from bowhunting and archery in general for a long time now. As I read the latest techno babble I've come across something that makes no sense to me. Maybe one of the hundred pound heads on here can help me sort it out.

Why is a weight-forward arrow shaft any different than just increasing the broadhead weight on an arrow with a consistent shaft weight? Either option would move the center of gravity forward of the true center of the arrow.

Sounds like a marketing scheme to me from what I've heard. Seems you'd be better off with increasing the broadhead weight or putting 50-100gr brass inserts to increase your FOC(forward of center). Some guys like to get a high FOC, claim it makes for better grouping and penetration. I'm going to install some 100gr. brass inserts in my Easton FMJ's to increase the FOC and my arrow weight, should put me at around a 550gr. arrow. Brass inserts would be the way to go if you dont want to buy all new broadheads or these "weight forward" arrows. Just my opinion, I'm not a pro by any means lol...

I think the more practicle benefit of the weight-forward is actually due to the increase in spine in the forward 2/3 of the arrow. It makes sense to me from an engineering/physics standpoint. The secondary benefit is the front 2/3 is fully wrapped, which helps protect the fragile carbon. I use them for those reasons.
    That being said, as with anything...I'm sure it's exaggerated.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Footed arrows and "weight forward desingn" have been around for centuries. This isn't new, it is an advance in carbon processing that alows carbon shafts to take advantage of a very old and well proven concept that traditional archers knew before the gun forced us off the battle field. Just ask the French. "Footed" arrows are produce by adding hardwood shafting to the leading 1/3 of the arrow shaft, the increased weight and stiffness produce a "weight forward arrow". There are several advantages to this design. The inccreassed stiffness in the leading 1/3 allows for the arrow to recover from the archers paradox much more quickly producing a more stable arrow. Adding a heavier head increasses arrow flex and archers paradox decreassing stability, in all materials! The stiffer leading 1/3 allows the arrow to be shot out of a broader range of bow weights due to improved satbility and over all stiffness. Incressing head weight alone makes the arrow less stable and therfore more bow weight sensative. Becuase the shaft is stiffer it also transfers more of the Kynetic energy of the arrow to the head increassing penitration. Again just increassing the head weight will make the spine softer, decreassing the kynetic energy actually delivered to the broadhead and robbing you of the extra penitration you were looking for in the first place. Weight forward carbons are tougher due to the extra thickness in shaft wall in the leading 1/3 of the arrow. A heavier head actaully weakens a strait walled shaft. Adding inserts helps balance the arrow but fails to provide any of the advantages of increassed stiffnes. Also beacuse they are not part of the shaft itself they are far more likely to fail. In fact I have had several fall at my feet while the arrow went on its merry way!

It is my understanding that these advantages are less important to wheel bows than traditional archers as increassed speed makes some of them less important. A side note though it seriously wouldn't hurt you guys to know a little about archery history and design. Folks have been killing game as big as buffalo with two sticks and a string for more than 10,000 years. And the British empire was bulit largely on the war bow and footed arrows!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick P is 100% on the money. For a compound with adjustable rest shot with a release, this matters less as long as you have 10%-15% FOC as the bow/rest can be tuned accurately to a wide range of arrow spines via draw weight & rest adjustment...

Dr. Ashby from Alaska bowhunting supply has great articles about weight forward and arrow penetration. After reading these studies it made me change my arrow setup. now i shoot a Easton axis 300 @ 28in. w/ 75gr. brass insert and mangus stinger 2 blade 125gr. broadhead. total arrow weight 526gr.
    http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Dr.-Ed-Ashby-W26.aspx

Dr Ashby has spent the last 20 years studying penitration on african game. He has endorced alaska bowhunters suply's broadheads but is not an owner or otherwise affiliated with them. I used his tests as a base for my own studies and found his work to be spot on. Some of his studies can be found through Alaska bowhunting supply and his complete reports including all the tech stuff can be found on Tradgang and several other sites. I have switched to the alaska bowhunting suply Samurai for everything over 700 pounds. Samller game stamped tin is ok but next time your afeild take one and drop it on a fresh log, you will be shocked by the damage!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.