Thread: Sheep hunting boots??

Default Sheep hunting boots??

Looking for some dependable sheep hunting boots for S September hunt, Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by akravens; 02-21-2007 at 11:18. Reason: wrong spelling

There is a ton, probably 2 tons of info on boots if you search the old forums.

2 tons - best bet for unique useful info to you will be SPECIFIC questions such as regarding width, where available, durability, and maybe why the alternatives were rejected. Popular choices include: Meindl, Lowa, Kenetrek, and Lathrop.

I've been very happy with Aku Extreme GTX boots I picked at AMH in Anchorage last spring. Not a very well known brand, but a very solid boot. The AMH folks are good to deal with.

Default happy feet

for the more info, the search button is your friend.

for my money, meindl canada pro. either cabels's or the real ones. good hunting.

I have Lowa Tibets and plastic Koflach Alaska Hunters. Plastics are almost indestructible but uncomfortable and loud. I plan on wearing my Lowa Tibets for sheep this year.

My personal favorite mountain boots...

http://www.kenetrek.com/mountain_extreme.asp

Do not buy any mountain boot without first trying on a few pairs of Lowas. Cabelas, Danners, Meindels, etc. can't compare in my opinion. I would choose Lowas 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

-Brian

Default Lowas

I agree as well, I have the Lowa "extreme Sheep Hunter" boots and they are the best boots I have ever worn. Very comfortable with all the ankle support you could ask for.

md

Thumbs up Lowa

Hands down the best hunting boot I own. I put them through hell and back hot/cold water logged, you name it. They hold up well and all I do is nikwax them evernow and then. Takes a little to break in so I would start wearing them now, before the fall.

Default sheep boots

Lowas all the way, I have tried many others and Lowas are the best. If one small drw back it is that your feet get hot but that is pretty much true of any boot. Have fun, chef

In my opinion different brand boots feel/fit differently to different peoples' feet. In other words, some brand of boots are better for some people, but not for others.

Lowa brand boots seem to be the best fit-feel for my feet. My dedicated Sheep hunting buddy for the past 23 years swears by Meindel brand boots and pokes fun at me for wearing the Lowa's. That said, we can each travel whatever distance we need to, in any type of terrain, carrying heavy loads, and we each swear by our choice of foot wear.

We've been huntign together so long now, that as we grow older our physical abilities are still about the same.....on some of our [tougher] recent Sheep hunts I think we booth wished we had the legs of a 25 yr old again...

Default Find the best fit.

I'm looking for a good pair of sheep boots as well. Last weekend I tried on 5 different pairs of boots by Aku, La Sportiva and Lowa. They all fit different, even from one Lowa to another. I tried on 3 pair of Meindl's when I was down south for Christmas and each one of them fit differently. Find a couple of pair that fit really well, then use dependability as your deciding factor.

With that said, I'm also interested in suggestions for sheep boots to take a look at. Can anyone suggest something other than the Meindl or Lowa Tibet/Hunter (too much slip in the heal)? Been to AMH, REI, and Barney's, are there any other good shops in Anchorage?

I started a new thread with a poll so everybody could throw their vote for a particular boot in.