Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best grizzly gun/cal/bullet

Default Best grizzly gun/cal/bullet

I'm in the process of booking a grizzly hunt and would like some feed back from some of the experts on here about there favorite gun, caliber, bullet for interior grizzly.

Thanks in advance

chris

What's wrong with all of the response you got on the OTHER thread you started with the same question?

Evan the other thread ended up being responed to based on coastal brown bear. In this new thread i hope to seek some gudience on what people like for interir grizzly which as you know are much smaller. Sorry if it seems redundant!

Same bear but more heart much of the the time,nine foot is the same no matter where it lives
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    What's wrong with all of the response you got on the OTHER thread you started with the same question?
    I was thinking the same thing when I read your posting. Until I saw what he posted above, it never entered my mind that he thought they were two different animals and required two different calibers.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I'm dumbfounded by the number of times this question is asked...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm dumbfounded by the number of times this question is asked...
    Get used to it, it isn't the first time and won't be the last time.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cochrj1 View Post
    Evan the other thread ended up being responed to based on coastal brown bear. In this new thread i hope to seek some gudience on what people like for interir grizzly which as you know are much smaller. Sorry if it seems redundant!
    Geees, just get a 30-06. It'll shoot anything from 150 grain up to 220 grain. Most versatile gun made in my estimation for anything cept maybe elepahants. JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanks for all the feed baack **** HEADS!
    Last edited by stid2677; 01-07-2011 at 08:32.

Insulting people isn't going to get you anywhere, especially on this forum. The reason nobody responds is because that exact question has only been asked about a thousand times on here and all you have to do is use the search tool to find what has been said before. Nobody likes typing the same answer to a new member every two weeks.

Most folks don't hunt game they know nothing about.Maybe you should at least read a book on bears before asking some of your questions.You call us names but you are the one with out the clue fixing to spend big money,go figure
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My thoughts exactly, if you have a specific question, then ask it, your question (Original Poster) is so generic that it could be answered a hundred ways and you wouldn't be any closer to picking out a gun. With modern bullet technology I would "hunt" brown bear with a .223 if I was a in a place I was confident I wasn't going to get ambushed, instead I hunt with a .375 H&H because I usually can't see more than 25 yards in front of me...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, if you have a specific question, then ask it, your question (Original Poster) is so generic that it could be answered a hundred ways and you wouldn't be any closer to picking out a gun. With modern bullet technology I would "hunt" brown bear with a .223 if I was a in a place I was confident I wasn't going to get ambushed, instead I hunt with a .375 H&H because I usually can't see more than 25 yards in front of me...

Which bear are you using the 375 H&H for? The grizzly bear or the brown bear? What do you use for the other when hunting it?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have hunted and killed literally thousands of bears of every kind. The biggest I took was a 16ft 2000lb Boar on Kodiak. I took that at 300yds with a GAMO Air Rifle in .177. I suggest therefore that if you come up here and go bear hunting YOU carry a .177 Air Rifle. That will make us all much happier!!!

I also have seen Serious Hunters on Kodiak,
    out at the Rifle Range practicing with the Formidable .17HMR

For Hunting, on Kodiak Island,...... I surmised that they may have been after the smaller Red Bears that are thick down here,

But one thing is for sure, they were going out into BIG Bear country, Hunting,
    and probably expecting great success with the .17

Ok, kidding a bit to lighten it up, am tired of reading these also yet I keep coming back to see what everyone will say This Time,....

OP, it's true Interior Grizzlies are substantially different in size, maybe not so much in Character tho.
    Go .30 something, learn to shoot it well, like Real Well, then Hunt Well, and watch your Bears drop

or Not,
    Also, in your back pocket,
    you should carry a Rem 870 Pump Action 12ga, full of 3" Magnum Slugs, Just for Contingencies

PS before you come up, I'd advise you learn not to Cuss at Bear Hunters, some of them are a bit like Bears and you will definitely not Fare Well treating them with disrespect
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Good Luck with that Gamo

Coch, if you would have taken the r***ing like a man and not been a *****, you would have gotten some good responses eventually.
    Next time, be polite, and see what happens.
    My suggestion is do exactly as griz, will, and limon say.
    Thank god these posts are censored or you really would have gotten it. Good grief.

Mr. Chris, Talk to your guide and ask for his advice, that is what you are paying them for. I would recommend that you get the largest caliber rifle you are comfortable shooting. Get to know the rifle inside out and upside down, practice, practice, practice. Shoot from all angles and positions including free hand.

My personal minimum caliber is 300 Win Mag, but after hunting both coastal and interior bears I have rethought that decision and now shoot a 325WSM and 375 H&H. Premium bullets, I use Barnes TSXs and Swift A-Frames. Bears are all different but many can soak up an incredible amount of lead and keep going.

The last thing you want is to come here on a dream hunt and end up putting you or your guide in harms way or make your guide have to go after a poorly shot bear. Guides and clients have been killed while hunting bears here, happens more than you might think.

Just in the last few years one client was shot in the head when he stood up after firing from a kneeling position when the guide fired hitting him in the back of the head. Last year a client shot his guide mistaking him for a bear. People can get a little unpredictable around dangerous game seen it happen.

You are going to spend a truck load of money, take the time and effort to be prepared, that is part of the experience, planning and preparation. Don't go out and buy some giant ass cannon that you can only stand to shoot a couple times and hope you hit where you are shooting for. Don't come here with that I can shoot a whitetail at 300 yards so I can shoot a bear from the same distance. These are tough critters with an incredible drive to survive.

My buddy and I shot a 6ft Grizzly in the Brooks last year that took 6 shots to stop and he was hit every time. Get close shoot straight and listen to your guide. Above all be safe and have a hunt of a lifetime. Hunting bears is one of my favorite hunts, about as much excitement as anything you can do with your clothes on.

If you have a 30-06 and you can shoot it well, use that. The important thing is to hit where you aim and repeat as necessary, then one more time for good measure. You can't see any of those little bullet holes in a bear hide with all that hair, trust me. Do your research and ask specific questions, this forum is bar none one of your best resources, be respectful and these great members will bend over backwards to help.

This thread needs a few photos, so here are a few for motivation. Think about how your going to mount one if you score and talk to your taxidermist ahead of time.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 to Steve.

Chris,

Did look like you took a little heat for the prior post and as you probably know the winters up here can make a few (or most) people a little testy! Steve sumed it up well and yes brown and grizzly bears are pretty much the same except for size. The difference is their location. I believe if the bear lives over 50 miles from the coast it is conidered a grizzly. Now watch me get crucified for saying something incorrect but I think I'm right.

The 325WSM is a great go to caliber for most or all of Alaska's big game animals as well will do a great job on mule deer, elk, black bears and whitetails too. I'm not sure where your at so I don't know what else you may hunt. Though a 375 or larger may do a better job of putting down a big bear (or maybe not) I would hate to see you with a rifle that you only took hunting once. Either way a poor shot is just that and it doesn't matter what caliber your shooting it wont help. My 338WM took a grizzly at 325 yards with 230gr Winchester Fail Safes. 1st shot broke both shoulders. After cartwheeling about 10 times he stopped and turned then my buddy hit him with a 300WM and a Barnes 200gr TSX. It finished him off. Both bullets preformed flawlessly. Don't expect the bear to drop like you may have seen on tv so practice, practice, practice.

The Winchester model 70 extreme weather in 325WSM is sweet, that is what Steve used to take one of those bears.If I was going to replace my 338WM that is what I would get. I think Steve took that bear with a 220gr Accubond. I would also recomend a premium bullet. The Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frames, Accubonds, Nosler Partitions and the such. The new Winchester XP3 bullets have preformed exceptionally well too but Winchester doesn't make them in all calibers right now. They do make them in 325WSM though.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Which bear are you using the 375 H&H for? The grizzly bear or the brown bear? What do you use for the other when hunting it?
    I cary the .375 H&H for all bears, brown, grizzly and black. Since black bear country is often brown bear country I have no interest in downsizing while black bear hunting. I shoot 300gr. Barnes triple shock, my gun puts them on top of each other at 100 yards so I haven't bothered shooting any other bullets.

Very neat gun, it has iron sights so I carry it with the scope off until I get to tree line and then put the scope back on once I get out in the open.

I've thought about building something in .308 or 30-06 that I could use for predators and bears in the interior since you can see so much better there but I wouldn't utilize it here in the lowlands.

Very nice post Steve.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast