Thread: Tent Stove

Default Tent Stove

The tent stove jack thread got me thinking about a stove I recently saw, this stove is heavy but having a heavy stove could be a good thing if you don't have to pack it. At $70 looks like a nice little set up, could not fit much into it so perhaps charcoal would work at night.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/V...=3471&a=751987
    Attached Images Attached Images

I too have searched high and low for the right tent stove combo but come to realize it's AK you need about 3-4 of everything depending on what your doing where and who else is coming. I've got two sheet metal stoves one small one medium for the ice shacks (eskimo quickish 3 and 6). Sheet metal / titanium stoves have their adv.and disadv work great you got to stay on top of em light but flimsy. Stove jack from AK tent and tarp take out a window pane (on the quickfishes)add some velcro to the stove jack and your cooking with fire. You don't need to sew it into the tent just use a window, whichever one is most useful and add and elbow or two to the stack. I'm in the process of having a stove welded up now, this one is for the heavy winter camp. I was looking for something durable(what's worse than dragging something behind a snowmachine?) big enough for a good wood load and airtight as possible. Plan on using it for the Arctic 10 and 5 man tents. Guy has a great door/baffle design that should be pretty airtight and combined with some of the features of the four dog stoves it should fit the bill. Reusing an old pressure tank 16" diameter with the finished length less than 24". All stack and accessories fit inside handle removes with nothing to break off in transport. Anybody interested in doing recycled woodstove project? I've got some ideas for using an old 100# propane tank(emptied purged and safe no boom kind), should be able to make two stoves pretty cheap. Not quite fly in weight but again you need another stove for that. Gave a military Space heater small SHS a couple runs but remembered why my dad ALWAYS filled up the old truck with gloves. Smelly stuff that diesel. Heater worked great just not the drip stove I thought it was going to be. Burned 1 gal. per 5 hours on low rigged up a 5gal can to get through the night (whole night sleep!) Anyone used the SHA that uses wood also? Great idea if you can't find anymore fuel depots in the bush.

I have that exact stove and am happy with it. Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna sells a lot of them and I got mine there for $79. The stove will put out a lot of heat but will also incinerate a lot of wood so don't expect to load it and then sleep through the night. It may do better with the fake fireplace logs but I've never tried them. They are not very tight and don't come with a flue damper. The flue pipe is 2.5 inch too and I don't know if you can even buy a damper in that size. There is a clean-out on the bottom and secondary air port on the back wall. I welded both of these shut which helped me to get more control of the air. All-in-all it's a good little stove for the money and it heats my ice shack really well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    I have that exact stove and am happy with it. Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna sells a lot of them and I got mine there for $79. The stove will put out a lot of heat but will also incinerate a lot of wood so don't expect to load it and then sleep through the night. It may do better with the fake fireplace logs but I've never tried them. They are not very tight and don't come with a flue damper. The flue pipe is 2.5 inch too and I don't know if you can even buy a damper in that size. There is a clean-out on the bottom and secondary air port on the back wall. I welded both of these shut which helped me to get more control of the air. All-in-all it's a good little stove for the money and it heats my ice shack really well.

Dave
    Mr. Standup you got a a heckofadeal because I went into Trustworthy yesterday to check, and they are on sale for $97 from the regular $126.00. I think your clerk must have been dislexic to sell you that stove for $79.