Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Extensions for snowmachines

Default Windshield Extensions for snowmachines

Does any one know if there are snowmachine specific windshield extenders? They are made for every other vehicle out there but I can't seem to find any for the winter riding machines. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Does any one know if there are snowmachine specific windshield extenders? They are made for every other vehicle out there but I can't seem to find any for the winter riding machines. Thanks for the help

i just usually extend mine with a piece of sheetmetal, galvanized if you can find i so the snow flys off better and it wont rust if you fall in the river.. a guy could use some sheel aluminum if your rich tho.
    Semper Fi!

Use a piece of another windshield. Cut off the bottom where it attaches to the sled and mount it right over the installed windshield. Cut slots in it and screw the two windshields together using wing nuts. Slide the second one up or down as needed.

Like Mr Pid, except I used screws and nuts to attach 3 binder clips (ya know the big honkin clamps for a large stack of papers) to the edge of the extension, which was cut out of another windshield.

I just unclip it for trailering.

wow! i really like that idea od using another windshield! i might have to try that, easier to see thru too!
    Semper Fi!

Use either an old windsheild or at the hardware store you can get sheets of polycarbonate to make your own. You can use a heatgun to shape it. I made this one for my old rev. It was bolted on with wingnuts so I could take it on and off when it was cold. I used auto door trim to trim out the edges. I like mr. pid's idea of slotting so you could slide it up and down. That would make it alot easier putting the cover on the sled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow that looks great! i dont understand why the newer machines seem to get smaller and smaller windshields, its so dumb, its not like they are cheaper now.
    Semper Fi!

I think they make smaller windshields today to get the average rider to slow down and have less wrecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    I think they make smaller windshields today to get the average rider to slow down and have less wrecks.
    I think that they are designed for older riders with bad backs and shoulders. Glove gaitors and hand warmers help. If you have not ridden the new style machines........ you are not riding the boondocks correctly.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I like big windshields, I cannot lie...

If "not riding the boondocks correctly" means going a bit slower, paying attention to surroundings, spotting game, and enjoying the beauty of the countryside, then guilty as charged.

psc- great idea. I've seen lots of guys do this in the bush where sleds are more than toys.

ya im not sure i like toy sleds, i like to use them to get places. and the bigger the windshield the better.
    Semper Fi!

Thanks for the responses. Any one in Fairbanks have an old windshield they want to get rid of or donate?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I like big windshields, I cannot lie...

If "not riding the boondocks correctly" means going a bit slower, paying attention to surroundings, spotting game, and enjoying the beauty of the countryside, then guilty as charged.

psc- great idea. I've seen lots of guys do this in the bush where sleds are more than toys.
    With 27 HP a bit slower...... means quite a bit slower. I torque through woods that rub the outside of both front skiis. A large windshield would just get broken.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

If you're one of those guys who waits for nice weather to ride then a small windshield will work fine. If you need to go someplace and the thermometer is stuck on -40 for a few days? I'll take the big windshield every time. In fact I'll be smiling behind a big windshield this weekend and it shouldn't be much colder than -25. I like the way the new, sleek sleds ride but i don't like how cold they are on the rider. In the cold? Big slow widetrack with a tall windshield, wide cowl, good warmers, and a pair of gauntlets. Warm is good. My turtle sled has about 120hp. Slow is a choice, not a limitation. :-)

If you want to see creative ways to make the new go-fast sleds ride warmer, go look at the Iron Dog sleds. I see new good ideas every year.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    With 27 HP a bit slower...... means quite a bit slower. I torque through woods that rub the outside of both front skiis. A large windshield would just get broken.
    Dirtofak- hats off to you. I like slow. Quite a bit slow. I'm older and have nothing to prove and no one to impress. Joy is in the journey for me, not in getting from point A to B in the least amount of time. So... to each his own.

Well, the weekend started at -25 and then went to -40. So much for my high windshield. My wife claimed the big Yami and left me to ride her XP. The low-ish windshield is one thing but holy cow my thighs got cold. That'll make a guy mis the old days and Polaris Edge sled that rode warm!

Brrrr! That's all I can say about that. It was -20 here, and I stayed home except for getting some wood and setting for a coyote who never kept his end of the appointment. You are a die-hard, Pid!

-35 out of Willow yesterday. My XP thighs were cold too. Either I have gotten fatter or the sleds are getting skinnier. Well say the latter.

heck you gotta spend a few bucks in sheetmetal on them new ones to make some custom windshields to actually shield you from the wind. i think all the drugs the new generations do they cant feel the frostbite or something.
    Semper Fi!

royal distributing out of canada makes generic windshield extensions for any type of snowmachine for about 21 bucks, however they aren't all that tall. I was thinking of just getting the removable mounting hardware that it comes with and cutting out a piece of old windshield that is taller also that way i can take it off and my cover will still fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast