Thread: Open Seat?

Default Open Seat?

I saw a real interesting sticky thread on an Oregon fishing forum http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=9 (looks very similar to this one!).

The thread is titled “Open Seat” and basically is a posting of people (not charter operators!) who have room to take another person on their upcoming fishing trip. The postings range from starving students seeking a seat, who will pitch in for gas and bait, to boat owners with a standing offer of an open seat (everything included) to any returning Iraq soldier. Some indicate they have all the gear, others say bring your own. Others appear to even include open seats in the car for a group heading out to shore or bank fish. Responses are either in the thread or PM’d.

I’ve seen people in various threads on this AOD forum either invite or seek to be invited on a fishing excursion, and I’m wondering if this would make a good sticky here? This time of year it would probably be all ice-fishing, or some winter king fishing, but options would certainly grow as summer approaches.

If this is something that might take off, allow me to start:

Have no boat – willing to pitch in for gas and bait on saltwater or river trips pretty much anytime, anywhere this spring/summer! (now you know why I think this is such a good idea for a thread!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Interesting idea... What does everyone else think? Are there enough folks on here that have an open seat from time to time that a "sticky" would make sense, or would it just be full of requests and no offers? Not sure if the sticky idea is the best way to go, or just individual threads when the opportunity arises. Lets see what the feedback says.

-Brian

I am on the i-fish board as well and it seems to work really well for them. The seem to have a true "community" they also have stickers for trucks and boats so they can say "hi" when they are at the boat ramp or on the water. It is a great group over there.

I think a sticky would be a good idea. There were a number of trips in PWS last year that we would have had room for another person or two.

Default Poll

I posted a Poll at the top of the page. Please take the time to vote if you think a Sticky about finding fishing buddies is warrented.

Thanks

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I think it is a great idea as well, on a number of our trips every year we end up at the last minute having room for someone and sometimes 2.

Doug

Thumbs up Good idea

I think sticking the post is a good idea to keep a reminder up for folks. Maybe split it into two posts, one for saltwater and one for freshwater? I plan on making several trips to both this summer and will likely have open seats occasionally.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Going fishing

I added a Sticky at the top of the forum. Please try to follow my lead. Suggestions are always welcome and I can edit it if need be.

92% favorite voting in 24 hours so lets give it a try.

Dave

Default Good idea

For those who can't afford a guide or jetboat it could be a win-win situation.

For the guy with the boat the boat ramp, parking fees and gas can be covered with some people on board willing to pay for those costs, and it would be an awesome deal for the passengers too. Heck when you take a boat out you need a few guys to help anyway, it's hard to run a big boat and fish at the same time.
    In a drift boat you are most successful when you have one guy rowing and two guys fishing.

I guess you have to be careful about sharing the costs because one cent over the costs and you are a guide.

I'm sure the guides will LOVE this idea.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Offers

I moved all of the offers up to the "I'm Going Fishing" sticky. Please post offers up there.

There are 2-3 offers that were here that are missing. I tried to move them up and somehow they became lost in internet land. My fault......oop's.

If you made an offer before, Please re-post it up above.

I am going to lock this so people do not post offers int he wrong place.

Dave