Thread: Hannibal Model In .500 A-Square On GB For The Bears...

Default Hannibal Model In .500 A-Square On GB For The Bears...

For all those who keep asking what is a good bear rifle, I submit you check out Gunbroker at
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209478388

pix438699457.jpg

If you want to end arguments before they begin, and make sure you end them if they have begun, this is the monster for you.

If anyone comes out to Bethel, I'll let you try mine.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Why would you do that to me so shortly after christmast? Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Is that sap wood in the stock under the action?

Looks like they built that one on a commercial Remington 30 action instead of converting a !914/1917 - a smart move IMO for a rifle of that price range. I shake my head at all the high dollar custon guns built on military mauser or enfield actions when high quality commercial versions of the same actions are available.

I've picked up 3 Model 30s at gun shows here in Alaska in the past 10 years and seen other for sale at reasonable prices. Still don't what I'm going to do with them yet - perhaps I'll build a .500 on one.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Clearly a must for any dedicated grouse sniper!

Brett

TVfinak, I believe Remington bought surplus Pattern 14 actions and rebadged them into the commercial Remington 30. Either way, they are classy and beautiful actions if I may say so.

My Hannibal purchase was a bit of an adventure. In 1995, there was not "internet" and we were still doing things by mail. I remembered from Precision Shooting Magazine I had seen an ad in the classifieds for a .500 A-Square. I wanted that thing badly, but didn't have the money.
    In the late summer of 1996, I had saved up some dough and so telephoned Precision Shootings office to get a copy of that particular magazine. Once it arrived, I telephoned the fellow who had placed the ad. He still had the rifle, so we negotiated a price and moved on it.
    I ended up with the rifle, over 150 fired cases, many boxes of original A-Square projectiles, bullet moulds, 400 cast bullets, some loaded ammo, and a couple boxes of 707 grain solids...altogether about $6-$7k worth of stuff for the delivered (via hideously expensive UPS), $2400.00.
    You can still find deals if you look.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Remington still had the tooling from the 1914 and 1917 contracts and they even made a 7x57 version for some South American contract after WWI. Even the military 1917s Remington made were nicely finished and blued although most later got reparkerized. The last one was the 720 which looks more like a Mdl 70 but I don't like the alloy guard on them. I've always like the Mdl 30s and have picked up several of them including a neat carbine made for the Pennsyvania State Police. They are a lot cheaper than Mdl 70s but appear to be a lot less common

Your Hannibal sounds like a real deal and adventure. With cast bullets it should be a blast and affordable to shoot. Was yours built on a Mdl 30 or the 1914/1917?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    TVfinak, I believe Remington bought surplus Pattern 14 actions and rebadged them into the commercial Remington 30. Either way, they are classy and beautiful actions if I may say so.

My Hannibal purchase was a bit of an adventure. In 1995, there was not "internet" and we were still doing things by mail. I remembered from Precision Shooting Magazine I had seen an ad in the classifieds for a .500 A-Square. I wanted that thing badly, but didn't have the money.
    In the late summer of 1996, I had saved up some dough and so telephoned Precision Shootings office to get a copy of that particular magazine. Once it arrived, I telephoned the fellow who had placed the ad. He still had the rifle, so we negotiated a price and moved on it.
    I ended up with the rifle, over 150 fired cases, many boxes of original A-Square projectiles, bullet moulds, 400 cast bullets, some loaded ammo, and a couple boxes of 707 grain solids...altogether about $6-$7k worth of stuff for the delivered (via hideously expensive UPS), $2400.00.
    You can still find deals if you look.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Pattern 14.

Thirty-seven grains of XMR-5744 will boost a cast 575 grain to 900 fps. You can even see them flying downrange. Always a crowd pleaser and just a little recoil.

One my projects I've got to complete is a Siamense Mauser a friend rebarreled to a shortened .460 case necked up to .50 cal. Getting a sporter stock for one is a bugger.

I've also got one of the bigger CZ styled actions in some sort of .50 cal wildcat. This is the action with the larger diameter and longer bolts that were scaled up for the .505 Gibbs. I've got to do a chamber cast and figure out what it is. I got it at the Palmer show a few years ago for $250. Guy I got it from said it a .600 Nitro case necked down but it doesn't appear to be that large.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Pattern 14.

Thirty-seven grains of XMR-5744 will boost a cast 575 grain to 900 fps. You can even see them flying downrange. Always a crowd pleaser and just a little recoil.