Thread: Early 1980s Suzuki 2 Stroke, any experience?

Default Early 1980s Suzuki 2 Stroke, any experience?

I am thinking about picking up a 1983 Suzuki 5HP for my scanoe. It is in great condition, hardly believable how nice of shape it's in, the guy clams that there is 1 hour of use on it, ever. What's a fair price for this motor, and more importantly, is it a decent piece of equipment? Parts easy to locate? Reliable? Thanks in advance for any input.

It sounds like a great motor.
    seems like the Ozone that makes it thru the Bozone layer has effects on the rubber/nylon, parts on most any equipment.
    I found an early 80's motor with low time and had been stored in a climate controled garage for 25 yrs and it looked great.
    It started easy etc. but after a few trips out, stuff started breaking on it, hoses started to leak thru cracks, nylon parts broke, and so I had to do lots of repairs..
    and then to top it off...I ended up paddling out 17 miles with a moose in the boat.. due to parts breaking that I could not McGiver together good enough to get the motor running,..waaaaaa
    I decided it was not such a great purchase as the parts cost alot to replace, and used parts seemed to be about as fragile. and Ozone affected...
    I did not want a project motor, I wanted one that ran when I wanted it to..
    You may have no problems what so ever,... but from now on,,,,, I will get newer motors that won't leave me stranded.
    I sold off 3 motors last year that were all from the 80's and one from the 70's and I still have a couple yet to go.
    This year I am getting a brand new motor so when I am up the Koyokuk river tributary streams, I will at least have a motor that is far to complex and full of computer stuff so if it goes dead,,, it will certainly be to much for me to McGiver...
    .LOL
    I still think I will take my chances with newer....
    I guess my age is showing huh???
    Oh yeah,,, if you don't buy it,, give me the number
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

[QUOTE=Benjy;865673]I am thinking about picking up a 1983 Suzuki 5HP for my scanoe. It is in great condition, hardly believable how nice of shape it's in, the guy clams that there is 1 hour of use on it, ever. What's a fair price for this motor, and more importantly, is it a decent piece of equipment? Parts easy to locate? Reliable? Thanks in advance for any input.[/QU2001OTE]

I was all over the place with a 2001 6 horse zuk. It was a twin cylinder motor 2 stroke motor. If that 5 horse is a twin cylinder.....get it. If it isnt the twin cylinder motor, don't get it (no torque)

Here are some pics of it. He wants $650 for it, says he had the carb done, stored inside it's whole life, winterized last year. I worry that gaskets could be bad and don't know what else to look for. I want to put it on a 16' scanoe of unique design and "I wanna go fast".

Here's the scanoe. I haven't put it in the water yet so I don't know if I'm going to keep it but I think it's going to be a great little boat for duck hunting and fishing, it's like a mini-drift-boat. Weighs 90 lbs, Rated for 5HP, 800 lbs. capacity. 16' long.

It ought to be a going motor scooter,
    never used one of these craft, but it shoud have a motor rating on it somewhere.
    easy on the throttle until you get it dialed in
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I would be concerned with gaskets, seals, and fuel/oil lines being cracked from sitting for 27 years. Why was it only used for 1 hour?

parts for any brand of outboard more than 10 years old are very hard to find the manufactures stop making them or stocking them at this limit,high production models or modles that have a long production run have a better chance of finding now obsolete parts

Quote Originally Posted by savageak View Post
    parts for any brand of outboard more than 10 years old are very hard to find the manufactures stop making them or stocking them at this limit,high production models or modles that have a long production run have a better chance of finding now obsolete parts
    Parts for this paticular Suzuki aren't hard to find at all. The model is essentially the same exact thing as what they offered in 2002 and is a detuned 6 horse. Brownspoint marine carries almost every part. Outboards were designed to last for a very long time. I'm certain this model is in plenty good condition, These small Suzuki motors are nearly bullet proof. I would offer him $500 and call it a day......I wouldn't give him anymore than that though.....as their are plenty more out there used. This model is what I suspect to be a 1983 model....I'm just that good
    Here's a link to a microfiche that has almost every imaginable part for that motor.....not that you will need them with this suzuki motor.

http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DT5(83).pdf

Here's a picture of my old 2001 model that had enough grunt to push a bull moose up river.

They usually run a 100:1 mix ratio and use very little oil because of this.
    This model is darned near the same EXACT motor many years later:

Attached Images Attached Images

Great motor! I had that model in an 8 horse. Parts are easy to find and they run, and run, and run. They are very easy to work on, too. I will say that they are not the lightest motor on the market, so you may want to put your pack, or a Dory stone up front to keep you from porpoising. I sold my '86 long shaft for $325 and it ran like a champ and was in good condition if that helps.