Thread: My new Ruger Redhawk

Default My new Ruger Redhawk

Got my 7.5 Ruger Redhawk cut-down to 4 (actually closer to 4.25-wanted to preserve the caliber stamp). Looks great. I have only shot four handloads thru her, so far so good. Steve at AK Custom Firearms did a great job. The front sight is a S&W performance site, which is removable & replaceable.

It was hard for me to take it in and get it cut as it is the first revolver I ever purchased, but I couldnt afford $700 + for a new Redhawk or $800+ for a S&W 629. Glad I got it cut-down as it will be much more manageable as a pack & carry piece while hunting.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Two more

Here's two more picts, a new pict and an older pict of the same gun.

Tim

Default One more

The other three are tiny....here's another one. Guess I shrunk the others too much.

Tim

Very nice. I keep going back and forth about cutting my 5.5 RH down to that size. It will be a lot more fun to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    The other three are tiny....here's another one. Guess I shrunk the others too much.

Tim
    Yea, but those first three would be much easier to pack than that last one
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What did you pay to have that done? I have a 7.5" Bisley Hunter that would be a lot handier if it was 4.5"-5.5". Did you specify the stock quick change front sight not be used? I would want to keep it as I have a set of 3 dot Tritiums on mine that I want to continue using. That's why I'm looking at trading it in on a 5.5" Redhawk, shorter barrel and I can replace the factory sights with the drop-in 3 dot set...

It was $200 with the sight. The sight/base was $80; $120 to cut/crown & drill.

I don't think my Redhawk had a quick change, its old, bought it in '93 from Boondocks in Eagle River (used). (BTW, is there anyway I can find out what year my Redhawk is? ) My Redhawk had a solid steel front sight base, no screws iirc. If you had yours cut I don't see why you couldn't still use your 3-dot sights, although I'm not familiar with them.

Saint Nick, I'd been tempted many times to snatch up a good deal on a 6" 629 and 5.5" Redhawk, but that extra 1-2" makes a difference. If I thought I could hit something with it I would have been looking for a Ruger Alaskan.

Tim

Here is the link telling you what year your Redhawk was born, http://www.ruger.com/service/product...E-Redhawk.html.

I might just have to give in and send mine to the smith. As for the Alaskan, it is what my wife carries. I like the Alaska and am pretty accurate with it. I would have gotten another one for me but I got a great deal on my Redhawk. Plus I like the looks of the RH over the SRH, you know that is what really counts in the woods

That really looks good. I think about 4" barrel is perfect for all but the best of shots in a hand gun, reasonable length for carry and enough sight plane to still hit accurately. I have read of Elmer Kieth using his Mod 29 with 4" barrel to shoot a cow elk at over 600 yards, witnessed by his hunting partner who said he could barly see the elk drop!

I need to find a decent used Redhawk to have cut down as that seems to be a reasonably priced option. My 7.5" Redhawk was bought new in 1983, went with my dad to pick it up and don't have the heart to have it cut down.

Looks like you have a nice rig! Keep us posted on how it shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_nick3 View Post
    Here is the link telling you what year your Redhawk was born, http://www.ruger.com/service/product...E-Redhawk.html.
    Awesome! I should have asked if anyone knew where to check for the manufacture date a long time ago. Looks like my Redhawk is a 1985 model.

Tim

Excellent. I like the 4" for inch for packing. Shoots great too. Who did the work and installed that front sight? I need a taller front sight on mine.

Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms did the job and installed the sight. I just heard his shop is a spin-off of Wild West or something like that, regardless it looks good and he did a good job.

Snyd isn't your Redhawk newer? Does it have a dovetail front? Is the front base screwed on or like my 'old' Redhawk where its solid steel, no screws?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Steve at Alaska Custom Firearms did the job and installed the sight. I just heard his shop is a spin-off of Wild West or something like that, regardless it looks good and he did a good job.

Snyd isn't your Redhawk newer? Does it have a dovetail front? Is the front base screwed on or like my 'old' Redhawk where its solid steel, no screws?

Tim
    The 4" Redhawks have a different sight than the RH 5.5's, SBH Hunters, etc.

Your front and rear sight look like what my 7.5 had. Is that a pin or a screw by the front sight?

Btw, how do you get your pictures to show up IN your post and not attached thumb nails like mine?

Tim

Front sight is pinned.

I have my pics stored on my .mac account iDisk. You use the IMG tags by clicking on the little picture logo when you post. You then enter the URL for the picture. You need an online photo gallery.

Tim,

Like the looke of the cut down Redhawk. I just went to the same shop yesterday and talked with him about cutting down a S&W 25-5 from 8 3/8 barrel down to 4". He recommended the same sight base for the ease of future interchangable S&W front sights. I'm thinking it looks like $200 well spent.

Thanks for posting this thread so I knew where to go. Have looked for years for a replacement barrel, but they are knowhere to be found for this revolver leaving barrel cut down as the cheapest feasible option.

The 4" bbl Redhawks did not come with Rugers quick change front sight. That was an irritation for me. The 5.5' and 7.5' do and changing them for different loads is quick and easy. The Baughman quick change ramp can be installed and corrects the problem. I ended up sending mine to Hamilton Bowen and had it fitted and added his rough country rear sight to mine. It can be had with a shallow "V" rear or square notch and then two or three different height fronts are easy to change out.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?