Thread: 2013 Float hunt

Default 2013 Float hunt

I know it's a little early, but I am planning a float hunt in 2013. It will be a 2 week ordeal, and I don't know even where to start. I need help! I don't know how far I can go to make it back in 2 weeks, or how big of a raft do I need to rent, or which company should I use to fly me in. I am from Fairbanks and would like to go into the Brooks range. If anyone has anything they would like to help me outwith, I would be forever grateful.

BTW, I am looking to hunt multiple species, and will only have 1 other person with me.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

jcorwin:

I explain some of what you are asking in my float hunt link. Maybe you can get some info from it. And you could also PM me with specific questions. Good luck.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I know it's a little early, but I am planning a float hunt in 2013. It will be a 2 week ordeal, and I don't know even where to start. I need help! I don't know how far I can go to make it back in 2 weeks, or how big of a raft do I need to rent, or which company should I use to fly me in. I am from Fairbanks and would like to go into the Brooks range. If anyone has anything they would like to help me outwith, I would be forever grateful.

BTW, I am looking to hunt multiple species, and will only have 1 other person with me.
    I live near you, Pm me and we can get together and have a chat, you can check out some of the gear I use ect... I usually do a float or 2 each year.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

14 ft to 15 foot raft , self bailer.
    with row frame. 9 to 10 ft oars.
    There is a few guys in your area that have rental equipment that would work well for your trip.
    class one water I like to travel average on moving days, about 8 to 12 miles.
    Don't move every day if you find sign of the game you desire.
    give yourself a few extra days, or more for weather situations.
    flying into a river may be the most expensive part of your trip.
    you may try to find a river that you are flown into by a bush plane, and then float out to a village that has scheduled air operators.
    look for a river that has little or no power boat traffic on it.
    There are some fellows that offer private planning for such adventures, and the owner of this site ( Mike S.) has a great book on the subject. and guys like King Fisher etc. have lots of experience .
    start with determining your ability, and the game you want to pursue, then buy or check out some books on alaska river floating. the book store on this site has all the books you desire to read about such places, and they also have lots of recomendations on equipment, food, etc.
    good reading and good planning make for a great experience.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Concerning rental gear depending on who you choose to fly you out will provide you options on renting gear i.e. raft/cataraft/hybrid inflatable canoe. As an example both Coyote Air and Brooks Range Aviation have rental gear available with booking a flight. Some times this is a cost savings depending on how long you will be out and if in fact their gear meets your floating hunting needs.

Max has pointed you in a great direction.

Locally in Fairbanks you can rent rafts from of course me :-), Larry B. at Pristine Ventures, The people who run Pirates Cove off of Peger Road and Test the Waters sorry if I forgot anyone.

Stid / Steve has been there and done that as well so take him up on his offer to help wealth of information not to mention a Fishing Video King. Sorry Steve was a great video.

If you do not have Mike's book on float hunting I suggest you visit the Web Store and make that sound investment well worth the money.

Best Wishes

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting
    907-460-7758

So how much, estimate, do you all think it will cost me to do this hunt. Fly in, drop off, fly out. Leave Fairbanks and rent a raft. I do not need much more gear, and it's just 2 people. Just so I can ease my wife's mind on this.

Did you get my PM?

So how much, estimate, do you all think it will cost me to do this hunt. Fly in, drop off, fly out. Leave Fairbanks and rent a raft. I do not need much more gear, and it's just 2 people. Just so I can ease my wife's mind on this.
    Way too many variables to quote cost. I have never done a moose float for less than 1500 each and I own all the required gear. You start renting gear and chartering planes it gets pricey. There are cheap ways, low percentage chance of seeing anything other than hunters. You have to decide that. Really hard to get under the weight limit on most planes with two guys and gear. Start adding multiple and it adds up quick. One moose will almost be a full load alone.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yes I did. Thanks, I sent one back to you, I think.

Not since the last one I sent to you with the costs.

Sorry kingfish, I thought I had. I will respond soon. Anyway, I know we can't give names of "guide" services, that offer unguided float hunts, but you could PM me. If you know of one in the state that is good, and fairly reasonable in price, please let me know. Like I said I am looking into all my options and going to go with what works best for me and my guys.

PM sent.....

Sorry kingfish, I thought I had. I will respond soon. Anyway, I know we can't give names of "guide" services, that offer unguided float hunts, but you could PM me. If you know of one in the state that is good, and fairly reasonable in price, please let me know. Like I said I am looking into all my options and going to go with what works best for me and my guys.
    There's no problem at all with giving out the names of reliable air services on this site. The only thing we don't allow is negative comments directed at businesses or private individuals.

You're on the right track to establish a budget for this right at the beginning. As was mentioned, there are a lot of variables that can drive your cost up or down. You are welcome to drop me a line on this and I'd be happy to help. Though I do paid consultation work on this, I also give out a lot of info over the phone at no charge. Drop me a pm and let's talk.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay