Thread: New Dean at UMASS, resume, loved to fish as a kid...

Default New Dean at UMASS, resume, loved to fish as a kid...

MIT / Woods Hole Alumnus Dr. Steven Lohrenz to become dean of UMass SMAST

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. -- Jan. 5, 2010 -- The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth School for Marine Sciences and Technology (SMAST) has announced that Dr. Steven Lohrenz has accepted the position of Dean. Dr. Lohrenz is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Marine Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (USM). Dr. Lohrenz received his Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography from the MIT-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

The following letter from Provost Anthony Garro announced the news to faculty and staff of SMAST earlier today.

==========

January 5, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Steven Lohrenz has accepted our offer to become the new Dean of the School for Marine Sciences and Technology (SMAST). Dr. Lohrenz is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Marine Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (USM). He has served as a faculty member at USM since 1987 and was appointed Chair of the Department of Marine Science in 2004 following a national search. The USM Department of Marine Science is located at NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center, which is situated approximately 75 miles from the USM main campus. As Department Chair, Dr. Lohrenz has been responsible for the management of four academic programs, which include both undergraduate and graduate degrees, a facility comprised of over 80 employees, three buildings and an operating budget of over $8 million. Prior to becoming Department Chair, Dr. Lohrenz chaired the Executive Committee for the School of Ocean and Earth Sciences at USM and will bring to SMAST a strong administrative background involving strategic and facilities planning. He also brings leadership experience at the national level. From 2004-2007 he served on the Board of Governors for the Consortium of Oceanographic Research and Education (CORE) and the Joint Oceanographic Institutions (JOI) Board of Governors. He was elected to the CORE-JOI Ocean Council which guided the merger of CORE and JOI to form the Consortium for Ocean Leadership, on which he served as a Trustee and Vice-Chair from 2008-2010. He has also served on numerous national science advisory committees, including most recently the Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Steering Committee and the Carbon Cycle Science Steering Group.

Dr. Lohrenz received his Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography from the MIT-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and both he and his wife, Maura, who is also an MIT graduate, have strong ties to New England and the South Coast. Dr. Lohrenz's research interests are in the field of phytoplankton ecology and the role of phytoplankton in biogeochemical cycling, with a specialization in bio-optics and remote sensing. He has published over 55 journal articles, 7 book chapters and has been successful in securing more than $12.5 million in external funding from a variety of agencies including NSF, ONR, NOAA, NASA and the Army Core of Engineers. Most recently he has been serving on an oil spill response team that has been part of a multi-state consortium of universities coordinating activities in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

We expect Dr. Lohrenz to be joining us full-time in July. He will be visiting the campus intermittently during the Spring semester as part of transitioning from USM to SMAST. We invite you to join us in welcoming him and his wife Maura to the campus.

We also want to express our deep appreciation to Dr. John Farrington for all that he has done in his service as Interim Dean. John will be staying on until Dr. Lohrenz's arrival this summer.

Sincerely,

Anthony J. Garro
    Provost and Vice Chancellor
    for Academic and Student Affairs

Visit www.savingseafood.org for the latest industry news.

Contact Information:

Saving Seafood
    1025 Thomas Jefferson Street, N.W.
    Suite 420 East
    Washington, DC 20007

phone: 202-595-1212
    e-mail: info@savingseafood.org

Forward email

This email was sent to ricky@kenairiversportfishing.com by alerts@savingseafood.org.
    Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
    Saving Seafood | 1050 Connecticut Ave. N.W. | Suite 1000 | Washington | DC | 20036

I am not sure where this related to ALASKA management?

If you are referihng to his fishing as a kid as a qual, well I think I would use this first
    Dr. Lohrenz received his Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography from the MIT-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and both he and his wife, Maura, who is also an MIT graduate, have strong ties to New England and the South Coast. Dr. Lohrenz's research interests are in the field of phytoplankton ecology and the role of phytoplankton in biogeochemical cycling, with a specialization in bio-optics and remote sensing. He has published over 55 journal articles, 7 book chapters and has been successful in securing more than $12.5 million in external funding from a variety of agencies including NSF, ONR, NOAA, NASA and the Army Core of Engineers. Most recently he has been serving on an oil spill response team that has been part of a multi-state consortium of universities coordinating activities in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I think the point is that there are people out in the world with great qualifications and the Gov of this State and the Boards did not even bother to look for them. Sad state of affairs.

I guess Governor Parnell has his own ideas of what constitutes qualifications and picked the person he thought best fit to do the job he wants done. Good thing we don't all think alike . . what a boring world that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I guess Governor Parnell has his own ideas of what constitutes qualifications and picked the person he thought best fit to do the job he wants done. Good thing we don't all think alike . . what a boring world that would be.
    I agree 100 percent Marcus. He picked a person who will promote his development agenda and who lacks the knowledge or abilities to stop that agenda. So you make my point - a sad state of affairs for the resources of this State and future generations.

I also am glad we all do not think alike but I would hope that when it comes to selection of personnel for running ADF&G that we would have common ground in wanting the most qualified applicant in a fair and open process that the founders of this State envisioned. That did not happen here and no one can make a case it did. The Gov circumvented the process with his announcement - I have been in State since 1976 and this is the first time I know of that a Governor ignored the process. If you know different I would love to hear it and please do not tell me that it is his right to do so. He may but that does not make it correct or good for the State.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I agree 100 percent Marcus. He picked a person who will promote his development agenda and who lacks the knowledge or abilities to stop that agenda. So you make my point - a sad state of affairs for the resources of this State and future generations.

I also am glad we all do not think alike but I would hope that when it comes to selection of personnel for running ADF&G that we would have common ground in wanting the most qualified applicant in a fair and open process that the founders of this State envisioned. That did not happen here and no one can make a case it did. The Gov circumvented the process with his announcement - I have been in State since 1976 and this is the first time I know of that a Governor ignored the process. If you know different I would love to hear it and please do not tell me that it is his right to do so. He may but that does not make it correct or good for the State.
    Well, not knowing what particular "process" you have in mind, I'll take the fifth on that question. Fill me in.

As for "qualifications," you're welcome to your opinion as to what qualities constitute proper qualifications to run ADF&G or any other state bureaucracy, but your opinion as to what constitutes qualifications are not the governor's, and it's his job to decide. As Cicero famously said, "To each his own." The same would apply to your or my or anyone's opinion of what qualifies as "correct" or "good for the state." You and I are welcome to our opinions, but that's all they are—opinions. It's the governor's opinion that counts.

Finally, did the governor say he has a "development agenda?" Did he tell you or some reporter that? Or are you merely surmising and inferring? And if he does have such an agenda, is that bad? Why?

The bottom line here is that Governor Parnell is discharging the duties we elected him to perform. He wants ADF&G run in accordance with his notion of what's best for the state and has chosen someone with the qualifications for the job as he wants it done.

What's the problem with that?

Not to beat a dead horse but Marcus it has been posted on this forum numerous times the process but here it is one more time. A vacant position for ADF&G is created, the Boards of Game and Fish put out a call for applications for the job or do a job search, the Boards meet and recommend qualified candidates to the Governor, and then the Governor selects from those candidates.

So the Governor does not get to choose the qualifications as you state, the Boards do under the Statues. Second, the Governor made the selection prior to the application process, and finally the Governor used his position to hold hostage the Boards to pick his candidate or suffer the consequences of not doing so upon reappointment to the Boards. The Boards are powerful positions so the Gov did something totally unethical in my opinion.

Relative to qualifications for positions they are not just opinion. For example a number of societies from Engineers to yes Fish Biologists via the American Fisheries Society have criteria/qualifications for certification. The Governor's opinion is also just that - the legislature gets their opinion voiced in the process when they voted to confirm or deny. Also please do not put me in the we voted for him group ... I did not vote for him. Relative to his pro-development agenda he stated it numerous times during the election process and his actions as Gov since Palin. He also has shown his agenda in the law suits he has filed against the federal government and endangered species and comments on resource issues and development. Maybe you should go back and reread/rehear his positions. I would think since you voted for him you would know this.

Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post
    not to beat a dead horse but marcus it has been posted on this forum numerous times the process but here it is one more time. A vacant position for adf&g is created, the boards of game and fish put out a call for applications for the job or do a job search, the boards meet and recommend qualified candidates to the governor, and then the governor selects from those candidates.

sorry for the confusion. Of course i know what that process is. It was your claim that the gov had violated some process that confused me. One may not agree with how they perceive the process is working, but the gov has in no way violated the process.

so the governor does not get to choose the qualifications as you state, the boards do under the statues. Second, the governor made the selection prior to the application process, and finally the governor used his position to hold hostage the boards to pick his candidate or suffer the consequences of not doing so upon reappointment to the boards. The boards are powerful positions so the gov did something totally unethical in my opinion.

everyone has an opinion, and one may not like how they opine that the system is working, but whether one likes it or not, the gov has made his choice and has not violated the process in so doing.

relative to qualifications for positions they are not just opinion. For example a number of societies from engineers to yes fish biologists via the american fisheries society have criteria/qualifications for certification. The governor's opinion is also just that - the legislature gets their opinion voiced in the process when they voted to confirm or deny. Also please do not put me in the we voted for him group ... I did not vote for him. Relative to his pro-development agenda he stated it numerous times during the election process and his actions as gov since palin. He also has shown his agenda in the law suits he has filed against the federal government and endangered species and comments on resource issues and development. Maybe you should go back and reread/rehear his positions. I would think since you voted for him you would know this.

i agree, but what's your point? The gov has expressed his opinion and made his choice accordingly. What's the problem? As for a pro-development agenda, what's wrong with that? I was here in '61 . . Things are better these days. Development isn't the problem, how we develop might be.
    adf&g leader wins over some ex-critics by jonathan grass | juneau empire

alaska department of fish and game commissioner cora campbell met with native leaders last week to discuss her position on various issues, and to attempt to ease concerns about her age and experience which were raised when she was appointed last month.

Campbell met with the alaska native brotherhood executive and subsistence committees and outlined some goals for the next several years.

Campbell discussed how she saw her department running, an overview of subsistence responsibilities, ways of increasing trust between the department and constituents, state and federal land management issues, creating sustainable legacy economies and the growing sea otter population in southeast alaska.

Campbell’s priorities left a good impression with the group.
    “i think a lot of people were taken with her for laying out her platform. Almost immediately what people were talking about was how she would involve native communities,” said rosita worl, a board member of the subsistence legal defense fund and alaska federation of natives. She said campbell displayed a broad vision for her role and addressed native and subsistence needs. She added she was especially pleased to hear campbell bring up the sea otter population, as it can become a threat to subsistence and commercial fishing.

Worl said the meeting was in part to restore trust in the department of fish and game. While that will still take more work, the meeting was a good step in that direction, as campbell seemed sensitive and open to discussion among those who have had issues with fish and game. Worl said the department has too often had adversarial relationships with interest groups, plus there was some discussion at the meeting about existing frustrations with federal subsistence boards.
    Anb grand camp had previously asked gov. Sean parnell to reconsider campbell’s appointment because of concerns about the 31-year-old commissioner’s youth and lack of experience. However, in a press release, anb grand president richard jackson said, “i can say conclusively that commissioner campbell has put those concerns to rest. While she is still young and may not have 40 years of experience, she more than makes up for that in her willingness to dialogue and reduce the animosity between adf&g and its constituents. We are encouraged that our concerns will be heard and reflected in policy actions by our new commissioner.”
    worl agreed and said campbell seems to have the capabilities, education and experience to do the job. She said addressing natives on these issues went a long way in demonstrating that.

“you shouldn't hold youth against anyone,” she said.
    As far as what the new commissioner needs to do to continue this path and keep doubts at bay, worl said she must continue working on important issues across the board, as campbell comes from a commercial fishing background. She said the work must include village needs.

“she needs to alleviate concern about her focus toward commercial fisheries. That’s the first thing,” said worl. Worl said that while she is “somewhat comforted by her character,” the alaska federation of natives will review her appointment as commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by North Star View Post

MIT / Woods Hole Alumnus Dr. Steven Lohrenz to become dean of UMass SMAST

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. -- Jan. 5, 2010 -- The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth School for Marine Sciences and Technology (SMAST) has announced that Dr. Steven Lohrenz has accepted the position of Dean. Dr. Lohrenz is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Marine Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (USM). Dr. Lohrenz received his Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography from the MIT-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

The following letter from Provost Anthony Garro announced the news to faculty and staff of SMAST earlier today.

==========

January 5, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Steven Lohrenz has accepted our offer to become the new Dean of the School for Marine Sciences and Technology (SMAST). Dr. Lohrenz is currently Professor and Chair of the Department of Marine Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (USM). He has served as a faculty member at USM since 1987 and was appointed Chair of the Department of Marine Science in 2004 following a national search. The USM Department of Marine Science is located at NASA's John C. Stennis Space Center, which is situated approximately 75 miles from the USM main campus. As Department Chair, Dr. Lohrenz has been responsible for the management of four academic programs, which include both undergraduate and graduate degrees, a facility comprised of over 80 employees, three buildings and an operating budget of over $8 million. Prior to becoming Department Chair, Dr. Lohrenz chaired the Executive Committee for the School of Ocean and Earth Sciences at USM and will bring to SMAST a strong administrative background involving strategic and facilities planning. He also brings leadership experience at the national level. From 2004-2007 he served on the Board of Governors for the Consortium of Oceanographic Research and Education (CORE) and the Joint Oceanographic Institutions (JOI) Board of Governors. He was elected to the CORE-JOI Ocean Council which guided the merger of CORE and JOI to form the Consortium for Ocean Leadership, on which he served as a Trustee and Vice-Chair from 2008-2010. He has also served on numerous national science advisory committees, including most recently the Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Steering Committee and the Carbon Cycle Science Steering Group.

Dr. Lohrenz received his Ph.D. in Biological Oceanography from the MIT-Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and both he and his wife, Maura, who is also an MIT graduate, have strong ties to New England and the South Coast. Dr. Lohrenz's research interests are in the field of phytoplankton ecology and the role of phytoplankton in biogeochemical cycling, with a specialization in bio-optics and remote sensing. He has published over 55 journal articles, 7 book chapters and has been successful in securing more than $12.5 million in external funding from a variety of agencies including NSF, ONR, NOAA, NASA and the Army Core of Engineers. Most recently he has been serving on an oil spill response team that has been part of a multi-state consortium of universities coordinating activities in response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

We expect Dr. Lohrenz to be joining us full-time in July. He will be visiting the campus intermittently during the Spring semester as part of transitioning from USM to SMAST. We invite you to join us in welcoming him and his wife Maura to the campus.

We also want to express our deep appreciation to Dr. John Farrington for all that he has done in his service as Interim Dean. John will be staying on until Dr. Lohrenz's arrival this summer.

Sincerely,

Anthony J. Garro
    Provost and Vice Chancellor
    for Academic and Student Affairs

Visit www.savingseafood.org for the latest industry news.

Contact Information:

Saving Seafood
    1025 Thomas Jefferson Street, N.W.
    Suite 420 East
    Washington, DC 20007

phone: 202-595-1212
    e-mail: info@savingseafood.org

Forward email

This email was sent to ricky@kenairiversportfishing.com by alerts@savingseafood.org.
    Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
    Saving Seafood | 1050 Connecticut Ave. N.W. | Suite 1000 | Washington | DC | 20036

Dodged a bullet on that one. I'm sure this fella is all schooled up on salmon and halibut, being he's been working in Mississippi and all..

Marcus , you cannot be that obtuse. Of course he violated the process. He picked the ADF&G Commissioner before the Boards even sent out a request for applications. He set the criteria for selection with his selection. He violated an ethical standard by using his position prior to the start of the process to violate the process. You may want to support him and I understand that but to ignore what he did is trying to rewrite history. You said the Gov sets the criteria and I pointed out that is not the way it is suppose to work - the Boards set the criteria. Not to see this is in my opinion taking a position for the sake of arguement not discussion - so again we are done.

Marcus , you cannot be that obtuse. Of course he violated the process. He picked the ADF&G Commissioner before the Boards even sent out a request for applications. He set the criteria for selection with his selection. He violated an ethical standard by using his position prior to the start of the process to violate the process. You may want to support him and I understand that but to ignore what he did is trying to rewrite history. You said the Gov sets the criteria and I pointed out that is not the way it is suppose to work - the Boards set the criteria. Not to see this is in my opinion taking a position for the sake of arguement not discussion - so again we are done.
    Too funny. Of course I see it, and maybe it's you that cannot be that obtuse.

Governor Parnell, if your accusation has any merit, is not above using the political process to his advantage while the Board of Fisheries is above such tactics?

What world do you live in?

I guess some people can`t see the forest for the trees
    And some can't see the trees for the forest

Some are both
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Too funny. Of course I see it, and maybe it's you that cannot be that obtuse.

Governor Parnell, if your accusation has any merit, is not above using the political process to his advantage while the Board of Fisheries is above such tactics?

I hope to live in a world where our elected representatives understand the statues and regulations and follow them, I hope to live in a world where the most qualified person for a position gets that position, I live in a world where an elected official does not circumvent a process that has worked for 50 years, and I hope to live in a world where the end does not justify the means. In this case your position appears to be that the end does justify the means and for that you must rationalize by saying the world is corrupt and therefore unethical behavior is fine. In this case you use the world political to change the tone of the discussion but the fact remains that he did circumvent the process. I live in a country that values the rule of law and ethical behavior. We may not be perfect at this but at least we try as a country. I do not accept the idea it is just political so anything goes- maybe you do.

I hope to live in a world where our elected representatives understand the statues and regulations and follow them, I hope to live in a world where the most qualified person for a position gets that position, I live in a world where an elected official does not circumvent a process that has worked for 50 years, and I hope to live in a world where the end does not justify the means. In this case your position appears to be that the end does justify the means and for that you must rationalize by saying the world is corrupt and therefore unethical behavior is fine. In this case you use the world political to change the tone of the discussion but the fact remains that he did circumvent the process. I live in a country that values the rule of law and ethical behavior. We may not be perfect at this but at least we try as a country. I do not accept the idea it is just political so anything goes- maybe you do.
    In your opinion, of course. And that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion of what constitutes whatever.

Beyond that, must you always resort to personal demonization? You have your opinion, I have mine.

It's just that simple. No need to throw stones.

Marcus, I think the above comment from you made it personal. Tell me that is not a derogatory remark. It implies no sense of reality and questions my thinking and rationale for my position. Do you not see that and thus the response. Again, you play the victim after throwing a stone. Maybe we should just end this and move on. I will let you have the last word

Marcus,

Again, you play the victim after throwing a stone.
    Been his MO for as long as I have been on these forums.

Let it go, Nerka. Not worth it.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

"What world do you live in?" is a rhetorical question: though posed as a question, it is in fact a statement.

"What world do you live in?" simply makes the statement that I think your view of the political world is unrealistic.

It is not personal—no name-calling, simply a statement of opinion in the realm of ideas.

Maybe this thread needs to be locked, seems the discussion is at an impasse.
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1