Thread: My New Sled

Default My New Sled

Just thought I would post a picture of my new sled.
    It is a 2011 Expedition Sport 600ACE. I picked it up on December 20th. This is on the clam gulch trail on my first real ride december 23rd. I rode this machine with my girlfriends 10 year old son and she rode my 08 Tundra LT 550F.
    Don't know why I bothered to carry the spare can of gas. I have a 10.6 gallon tank and in riding 96.6 miles I only burned 4.37 gallons. She used @ 9 gallons on the Tundra.
    Rode from clam gulch to the CCL lodge and back a wonderful ride.

together.jpg
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Nice Chris! Are you kidding about the mileage?? I might have to go get one of those!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Nice Chris! Are you kidding about the mileage?? I might have to go get one of those!
    Nope not kidding thats the numbers I get. Of course I forgot to write everything down so I need to do a double check this time home.
    Those figures are for riding on freshley groomed trails at moderate trail speeds.
    I have heard some guys are only getting 13 mpg or so breaking trapline trails near valdez with their Tundras with the 600 ACE motors.
    Another guy from Canada claims he got 18mpg's on the same machine I have but I don't know what kind of riding he was doing.
    This engine comes in several different models and the MXZ sport trail machine gets a reported (manufacturer claimed) 29 mpg's under ideal conditions.
    It is a 4 stroke liquid cooled engine. It exceeds all EPA emissions regs and the more stringent National Park Service regs for riding in places like Yellowstone.
    A very torquey motor to be sure and very quiet. After about 30mph all you hear is the wind and some track noise.
    At idle it sounds more like a 4-wheeler than a snowmobile. And there is no 2-stroke smell.
    I have not tested it in the extreme cold as it was a balmy -7deg the day we went riding. The dealer said they have been tested to
    -40deg. It did start easier than my 550F but I was still burning a little of last years gas in that machine so not really a fair comparison.
    I am very happy with this machine!

Well Claude when I get off of the slope on Tuesday I am planning to do another ride and mileage test as soon as I can. I gotta remember to write everything down and be as accurate as possible.
    Not that I doubt those last figures but I really do want to be absolutly sure they are as accurate as I can get them.
    If you don't mind running a fourstroke the 600ACE motor would be a good choice running to the lodge and back with supplies.
    The ACE motor was a $1600 option over the 550F but There are other reasons to choose the ACE than just incredible fuel mileage.
    Not having to carry injection oil and the quietness of this motor are but a few.