Thread: SteriPEN

Default SteriPEN

So they call it a Hydro Photon SteriPEN. The model is the Adventurer. It is a battery operated UV light that Purifies 16oz of water in 48 seconds. Batteries are advertised to last 150 uses. Bulb built to last for 5000 uses.

Anyone using one of these?

http://www.hydro-photon.com/steripen_products.html#uses

Comments?

Default hmmm...

Interesting...may be taking this off on a tangent here, but how UV Light created? And how does UV clean the water? I can't see how it can take care of the particles, even the smallest ones. I would be interested in learning more.

Default FAQ's

Ya, I know what you mean... check out the Support tab and look for FAQ...

or

http://www.hydro-photon.com/faq.html

I think the point is the UV light kills 99.9999999999% of bacteria, giardia, crypto and Viruses...

The UV light is produced by a small fluorescent lamp.

There are limitations depending on water clarity.

[QUOTE=BucknRut;67528... And how does UV clean the water? ...[/QUOTE]

That FAQ has a lot of fancy terms in it. UV causes sunburns. If you're a person, a bad sunburn gets past the epidermis into the dermal skin. If you're a germ, you get sunburned all the way through.

But it's darned tough to get a sunburn through a glass window. And these guys claim a Nalgene bottle is as effective. I don't know enough to evaluate the latter claim, but if the water in your hunting area is clear, it's a pretty nifty-lookin' toy.

Default I have one

My son used one for the last year while in MOntana and swears by it. he bought me one for xmas, and reading up on it, it looks prety sweet! Not cheap though.

Default I don't think the price is all that bad

Considering the amount of uses you get out of it and the simplicity of it. Good gear costs good money! Unfortunately, this is almost always the case!!
    I might have to try it, I hate messing with pumps and such. Maybe a cheese coth or some silk fabric could be used to filter the particles out. We'll see!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    ...Maybe a cheese coth or some silk fabric could be used to filter the particles out....
    One of my daughters' magazines informs me that an Indian sari, folded 8 times, effectively filters the microorganism responsible for cholera.

I'm willing to bet that means the cholera bug is fairly big - for a germ anyway - but it probably also means a good piece of fabric can filter out the silt.

Flip side is, if you're gonna filter for turbidity anyway, why not just get the bugs in the same step?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    One of my daughters' magazines informs me that an Indian sari, folded 8 times, effectively filters the microorganism responsible for cholera.

I'm willing to bet that means the cholera bug is fairly big - for a germ anyway - but it probably also means a good piece of fabric can filter out the silt.

Flip side is, if you're gonna filter for turbidity anyway, why not just get the bugs in the same step?

UMM, cause thats your roughage

I bought the Steri Pen for my sheep hunt and part way through the trip it started to malfunction. When it works, it is quick and easy, but when it doesn't....There is a filter with the bottle that is for removing large particulates.

I also heard a rumour that the company that makes the Pocket Rocket will release a similar product.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

There are a number of water treatment plants that use a combination of UV light and ozone to treat the water for microbiologicals. It works very good. I think you can even get systems like that for swimming pools.

I had a person tell me he was watching the National Geographic? channel and some people were in Africa using a hand held Sodium Hypochlorite generator. Drop in a couple of salt tablets, put the unit in and...presto...chlorinated water. Never did look it up though.