Thread: Wheatgrass, Grow it Yourself, for Endurance, Energy, even some Healing

Default Wheatgrass, Grow it Yourself, for Endurance, Energy, even some Healing

Here’s My Complete Story, on “How to Grow Your Own Wheatgrass,”

Reading some threads lately, where some of the Desert War Veterans are experiencing strange symptoms as possible results of Toxic Environment exposure in the War Zone,
    as well as several threads on how to get in shape for Hunting and other Outdoor pursuits,
    I figured some might be interested in Growing Their Own Wheatgrass.

It’s very proven as a thorough Detox for your body of unknown stuff you might be carrying around deep in your body tissue and digestive system, also is a major Performance Enhancer for those doing extreme physical work.

You’ll Feel the Effects, pretty quickly, get ya feeling pretty good, I believe.

Several of you may have tried a shot or two at Juice Stop type stores down south, where they give you a slice of orange to “chase it” with, thus the implication
    “This isn’t going to taste good, it's good for you tho...” “Who wants to do that …?”

It doesn’t have to be that way, thus my reasons for posting how to do it yourself. A lot of those stores are selling short and dried out Grass that really doesn’t taste good, may have ruined it for you.
    “Try it again,” I’d say. Also, stay away from the stuff that you can see behind the corner is about 2-3” tall and looks browning or wilted. Don’t Drink That !!

Should look at least as good as this photo above,
    (not my best as it is winter, the grass gets a lot less light, doesn’t get quite as Bright Green as the rest of the year, a little shorter than optimum)
    This is every bit as good tasting and healthy as the Tall Bright stuff of Spring Summer and Fall, just not as much yield.

Here’s a link listing some 40 of the Benefits of Wheatgrass, Fairly Convincing
    http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/40pointsofwheatgrass.htm

By my experience, several years now of steady WheatGrass Juice drinking, it is amazing stuff, you’ll Feel Fantastic.
    Even if just to Detoxify your body for a while, or if you become a regular Juicer for the health and Immunity System Boost. It’s well worth checking this out, hoping you’ll give it a try
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Starting Out with "Nebraska Wheat Berries"

Starting out, I order my Wheatgrass Berries (starter seeds) from a company in Nebraska, it's well worth getting Good Seed, called Hard Red Winter Wheat.
    (Tiensvold Farms is the name, Very Good Tasting Grass)

It’s really cheap, about $25 for 50lbs bag, which will last you for years probably. You can also find it maybe at Enzyme Express in Anch (?)
    But I would suggest you resist the urge to just buy stuff at the bulk foods aisle in your local store, won’t taste nearly as good, yield will be much lower.

The Grass is basically young Winter Wheat stalks, that you harvest and
    "Super Squeeze" for the juice, then drink a shot (1 oz) every morning.

At least until you become really into it, eventually you may end up as I am, now drinking about 4oz a day. I am a Convinced Believer in this stuff.

So you put seed into a Kerr jar, up to the bottom of the label “Kerr,” then add water to the top of the jar and let soak for about 12-24 hrs, the seed will totally absorb that water.
    then turn jar upside down with the screen lid shown here on top, and let drain for another 12-24 hrs.
    When the seeds show the little sprout emerging here, you’ll plant them,
    basically just pour them on top of 1/4” of potting soil.

These Plastic trays are found in about any Gardening store, you should need 3-4 for good production.
    I try to have two trays going at all times, the avg user may need only a tray every two weeks so plan accordingly, probably suggest you start out slow.

The Sprouting kit jar lids, also at a Health Food Store anywhere I imagine.

I use basic potting soil and optimally mix 50/50 with something we have here on Kodiak called “Fishy Peat,” to the soil. Not sure you can find that off Island, but I would be leery of any other fertilizers or chemicals, the Grass will pick that all up and send it directly into your system so I’d say, "keep it pure and simple."

I also water with purified water, not city water, full of fluoride, etc., but I am kind of a Purist on the deal, might not be that necessary. The soil is basically just a medium for the root structure, not a way of enhancing growth

Add the thin layer of soil just for something the sprouts can tie their roots into, tamp it down somewhat, before dumping the jar of Sprouting Seed on top, then spread out evenly,
    (it’ll seem like a ton of overkill with seeds to soil ratio but the seed is cheap, you’ll want it Thick) and tamp the seeds again into the soil lightly.

Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default It Won't Take Long....

Water your freshly planted sprouts well, with nearly a quart of water, press/tamp the sprouted seed lightly again, into the wet soil and cover the tray with an upside down tray and set it up high in the warmer part of your house.

This Sprout Development Area, should be around 70F or warmer for it to start quickly. We keep a Cooler house, usually around 65F, at heart level,
    so, I built shelving where the Sprouting tray could be up high in the warmest part of the house, then the uncovered Grass a bit lower.

It should take a day or two for the grass to get started in the darkened, warm and Humid environment before you will want to uncover it.

At the uncovering, You’ll need to water it for the second time with another approx 3/4 Quart of water.

It will look light green/yellow but will Green up immediately when exposed to light.

Then keep it out of direct sunshine, up high as you can see I have my trays above the light of a shaded window.
    Even if that window shade is open there is only indirect light getting to the Grass.

Too much sunshine will burn the leaves, dry it out too much. You Really want them Green and Lush, not wilted or toughened

The closer of the two trays here is about four days from it's original planting. The one behind it, approx. two days older.
    It should take about seven - nine days to reach maturity (approx 7” tall before harvesting) and you need to water it about every other day depending on your environment.

I test it by lifting the grass, if it sticks to the side of the tray a bit, it is dry enough for water, pour the water underneath the roots as you can see here to avoid mold.
    When watering, go ahead and pour an entire quart in there, probably room temp, not icy cold water.

If the grass and roots lift out too easily, it is still wet enough to just wait another day before watering.
    If you water too much you will get mold developing at the base of the Grass. A very little bit is ok, but you don’t want to juice that so a little too Dry is better than a little too Moist.

You can also see from above photo how much the roots go beyond the soil and it is more of a Hydroponic system, than anything else. This is optimum, and the reason you can feel it’s need for water by how it sticks to the tray or not as you lift.

Default Tall, Green, and Ready to Harvest

When your grass is, "Tall and Green,"
    take a good pair of scissors or Grass Clippers and, "Mow it Low."

The white stuff at the base of the stalk is powerful “Good For You,” so, don’t cut it too high, also don’t cut down into dirt or moldy stuff.

Here’s the Absolute Key to enjoying your Wheatgrass, keep it Wet and Cold.

I use the “containers that breathe,” to keep salad greens fresh, from your Grocery Store, place the Grass in one of those, and rinse it thoroughly,(making sure thers' no soil in there) then place in the refrigerator.

It will keep for quite a while that way. Do Not Store in a Tupperware container or plastic bag, it’ll go bad quickly.

The Container picture is perfect to keep it moist, and Cold Juice is Infinitely Better tasting than warm dry stuff.

If you are not sure how much you want to use, you can harvest just enough for a small glass and cut the rest of the tray later, as you go.

I'd still recommend that you rinse that freshly cut stuff and stick it in the Frig for a while to cool down. the Warm Dry juice is just not nearly as tasty. Might turn you off to it after a while

I then pull it out and make Juice with a Samson Wheatgrass Juicer ( regular Juicers won’t work for the fine level of Juicing you need for Wheatgrass) about $250 from online sources.

I’d recommend getting a good one, there are cheap ones around, as always, but this grinding is not light duty. My Samson has worked near flawlessly for many years now of Heavy Juicing every day. I did break the end piece once, and “SplashedZoned” it together as you can see, the big green lump on the end.

Other than that no problems,
    It’s not really Grinding but literally Squeezing the juice right out of the grass leaves.
    Glad I bought a good machine.

Default Just Down it All In One Gulp

Run the grass through a strainer and into your glass (just kinda takes the "not so tasty" foam off the top)
    and just, "Down it All in One Gulp."

Now this example, pictured above, is about four times what a beginner should be drinking so be careful.
    You should start out with a 1 oz shot at first, let your body begin to Detoxify for a week or so, before increasing amount if you want.
    I have known some to get so excited about how they feel when beginning, they overdo the production and their body just turns off to the taste. So start slow, adjust

A shot a day is all you really need, for the benefits to really kick in. Eventually you might want to do as much as I am drinking here, it’s incredible stuff and is similar to a coffee buzz but it lasts All Day long and doesn’t make you crash. REALLY

There's Lots of Energy in that stuff, Not Recommended to drink any after 9pm

It is, for me these days, a full breakfast,
    and the equivalent of about Four Chef’s Salads in one Gulp.

The purists recommend not chasing with water, let the juice, undiluted, into your system, to do it's stuff on your digestive tract and blood system,
    I am big on that as well, Juice, No Water, for Breakfast til 10 am or so,
    Highly Recommended, if you can do it.
    I definitely, recommend not eating anything else for at least a few hours after drinking some Grass Juice.
    Water is probably not that big of a deal.

Here’s where I would caution some, as there are all kinds of folks who reject all the benefits because it doesn’t taste good to them.

Granted, it is a powerful tasting stuff. Not like Carrot or Apple Juice that you revel in the flavor as it goes down.
    The Trick, is just drink it all in one Gulp, chase it with water if you don’t like the aftertaste. And Keep it cold, Much Better that way.

You know the Fine Smell of a freshly mowed lawn? That’s the best I can describe how it tastes to me.
    I am one of few I know who really loves the stuff.
    It’s about 30% of those I’ve introduced to Wheatgrass who agree, Can't get enough,...some tolerate it, quickly in a Gulp, ....some just can’t do it at all.

Everyone I know to have tried it from a health food store also, have agreed,
    the Cold, and well Hydrated grass I have given them is much better than otherwise.

A container, full of a Trays worth of Grass, will sit in the frig just fine for weeks actually. I get approximately a week worth of 4oz shots out of every tray you see here.
    The cost is negligible, about $.25/shot vs. the $2.00 you will pay to buy one in a health food store, and you can regulate how it is grown, it’s a LOT Better as a homegrown product.
    Total time involved is probably less than fifteen minutes a week planting, and watering. Five minutes a day Juicing and rinsing off the Juicer in the morning.

Well, that’s How To Do It, any comments or questions, I’d be happy to answer either by PM or on this thread

Hope You Enjoy a Great Year of Health, Endurance, Stamina, etc. in 2011

Great writeup Kodiak! Thanks for taking the time to put that together!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Great Post KR, I'm going to look into it for sure. Can't Rep ya till I spread some around, but sending you positive Karma instead.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

Run the grass through a strainer and into your glass (just kinda takes the "not so tasty" foam off the top)
    and just, "Down it All in One Gulp."

Now this example, pictured above, is about four times what a beginner should be drinking so be careful.
    You should start out with a 1 oz shot at first, let your body begin to Detoxify for a week or so, before increasing amount if you want.
    I have known some to get so excited about how they feel when beginning, they overdo the production and their body just turns off to the taste. So start slow, adjust

A shot a day is all you really need, for the benefits to really kick in. Eventually you might want to do as much as I am drinking here, it’s incredible stuff and is similar to a coffee buzz but it lasts All Day long and doesn’t make you crash. REALLY

There's Lots of Energy in that stuff, Not Recommended to drink any after 9pm

It is, for me these days, a full breakfast,
    and the equivalent of about Four Chef’s Salads in one Gulp.

The purists recommend not chasing with water, let the juice, undiluted, into your system, to do it's stuff on your digestive tract and blood system,
    I am big on that as well, Juice, No Water, for Breakfast til 10 am or so,
    Highly Recommended, if you can do it.
    I definitely, recommend not eating anything else for at least a few hours after drinking some Grass Juice.
    Water is probably not that big of a deal.

Here’s where I would caution some, as there are all kinds of folks who reject all the benefits because it doesn’t taste good to them.

Granted, it is a powerful tasting stuff. Not like Carrot or Apple Juice that you revel in the flavor as it goes down.
    The Trick, is just drink it all in one Gulp, chase it with water if you don’t like the aftertaste. And Keep it cold, Much Better that way.

You know the Fine Smell of a freshly mowed lawn? That’s the best I can describe how it tastes to me.
    I am one of few I know who really loves the stuff.
    It’s about 30% of those I’ve introduced to Wheatgrass who agree, Can't get enough,...some tolerate it, quickly in a Gulp, ....some just can’t do it at all.

Everyone I know to have tried it from a health food store also, have agreed,
    the Cold, and well Hydrated grass I have given them is much better than otherwise.

A container, full of a Trays worth of Grass, will sit in the frig just fine for weeks actually. I get approximately a week worth of 4oz shots out of every tray you see here.
    The cost is negligible, about $.25/shot vs. the $2.00 you will pay to buy one in a health food store, and you can regulate how it is grown, it’s a LOT Better as a homegrown product.
    Total time involved is probably less than fifteen minutes a week planting, and watering. Five minutes a day Juicing and rinsing off the Juicer in the morning.

Well, that’s How To Do It, any comments or questions, I’d be happy to answer either by PM or on this thread

Hope You Enjoy a Great Year of Health, Endurance, Stamina, etc. in 2011
    AWESOME! I've had this before but never thought about growing it at home. Thanks! One rep point few yew!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Getting a Bit More Expensive

A few corrections to my original story,
    I checked with Tiensvold Farms, http://shop.eatorganicbuffalo.com/Ce...ic-seed_c2.htm

yes, that is the link, guess you can get some Buff to eat there also,.... but they have Outstanding Hard Red Winter Wheat, as well as other seed available.
    Having tried many different types of Wheat Berries, from the bulk foods aisle, to several different companies selling, Tiensvold Farms is BY FAR the best tasting, BUT

They are no longer selling the stuiff so inexpensively as I had quoted in the beginning. It is now listed at $2 per lb, Must be getting popular ??
    (I actually did find an old reciept from a year back and it was like $.26/lb. about $56 for shipping of a 50lb bag to Kodiak),

So, my pricing was not quite accurately protrayed. But it is much more now.
    Still worth it to order from them,
    you might also try a much smaller amount than 50lbs
    You could start off with just a couple lbs., maybe five to start,

Also, the pictures of the Grass I put up look kinda washed out to me in comparison to how it really appears, Deep Green, almost Flourescent in color.

It's the washed out, dry stuff that I often see in Juice stores that should be avoided
    If you buy some of the stuff sold at Safeway/Carrs. Those little square of short grass found in the Greens Aisle? You should let that grow a couple days before trying it, That stuff looks pretty good to me but it should go taller pretty quickly.

and No, I am not actually downing 4oz in one gulp , that's why I pursue the good tasting stuff, I drink it all down though, enjoy the aftertaste, Really.
    a 1oz glass, or shot could be Gulped down.

Hope that clarifies, any more questions?

Have you ever tried one of the manual juicers? I was looking at electric ones and they are quite spendy for a good quality unit. The stainless manual ones are less than $100 which is more within the budget. Are they OK to work with or simply too slow to be much good?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I haven't tried a Manual version but can say it is some pretty intense Squeeze/Grinding going on so it "may be" more work than you would want, to stick with it. Would be good exercise tho, i did use a manual Grain Grinder for years, worked fine for even making flour etc.
    Also of all those I have seen seriously into Wheatgrass, they all were using electric Juicers.

I think you might be able to find one of the smaller types (probably fine for an ounce a day) for around $100 something if you searched a bit online
    Might also be worth trying the "used stuff" websites, for a good deal on one that someone spent top dollar on, then never used as they intended, similar to exercise equipment I imagine

Default a cheaper alternative to juicers...

First off I want to thank you for posting this very informative article with great descriptive photos.
    I do have a manual juicer but it's really too much trouble although it does work.
    What I prefer - and i'd appreciate some feedback on this - is very simply chew on a wad of wheatgrass like gum - and then throw away the wad when there's no juice left.
    Your mouth is already a juicer, it's also the most efficient juicer you can use - you get every possible drop of juice out of it - it's good exercise for your teeth and the chlorophyll is healthy for your oral hygiene in general.
    It's just, overall, a whole let less hassle and i think it's the best and easiest way to "juice" wheatgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I haven't tried a Manual version but can say it is some pretty intense Squeeze/Grinding going on so it "may be" more work than you would want, to stick with it. Would be good exercise tho, i did use a manual Grain Grinder for years, worked fine for even making flour etc.
    Also of all those I have seen seriously into Wheatgrass, they all were using electric Juicers.

I think you might be able to find one of the smaller types (probably fine for an ounce a day) for around $100 something if you searched a bit online
    Might also be worth trying the "used stuff" websites, for a good deal on one that someone spent top dollar on, then never used as they intended, similar to exercise equipment I imagine

Quote Originally Posted by mudheadmackerel View Post
    First off I want to thank you for posting this very informative article with great descriptive photos.
    I do have a manual juicer but it's really too much trouble although it does work.
    What I prefer - and i'd appreciate some feedback on this - is very simply chew on a wad of wheatgrass like gum - and then throw away the wad when there's no juice left.
    Your mouth is already a juicer, it's also the most efficient juicer you can use - you get every possible drop of juice out of it - it's good exercise for your teeth and the chlorophyll is healthy for your oral hygiene in general.
    It's just, overall, a whole let less hassle and i think it's the best and easiest way to "juice" wheatgrass.
    Hey Thanks for the scoop on the manual juicer,...I had a feeling it would work, but be a little inefficient maybe,....

as to feedback on your, "chewing on it for a while,"...I think that's a Great Idea

I spent some time at a place called the Optimum Health Institute once, and they were Wheatgrass Specialists,
    had "All The Benefits," studied out, all the diffferent ways to use it, etc....

and they highly recommended using it as a poultice,(I think that's the term) for things like coldsores, or other inner mouthstuff,
    or also for sores, cuts, etc. that need a healing boost

So, they would take the stuff that has been ground,...pretty heavy pulp, (with not much juice left in it actually),
    and secure it up against the wounded area, for a day or so, with great results for speeding the healing of such external wounds,
    (even acne type issues, have been successfully cleared up with just the pulp)

that being said, I am sure it would be really good for your mouth, and throat, etc. to "Grind It By Tooth and Jaw"

I remember them going on and on about the comparison to all kinds of animals that basically eat Wheatgrass,...or stuff pretty similar for their entire diet, Deer, and such,...thought that was interesting,...

and you are right, we do have the teeth to do some pretty efficient Grinding

So, I'd say great idea, Chow Away