Thread: Maps/map ordering/online map maker?

Default Maps/map ordering/online map maker?

A while back someone posted a link to an online map maker. The site would allow you to make and order a map online. $12 and four days later it was in my mailbox.

I checked the sticky hunt primer but did not see the link there and I am no good at searching this site.

Any help?

Thanks,
    Tim

My son picked up the National Geographic "TOPO ALASKA" program a few weeks back from Sportsmans for $50. I have been playing with it a bit and it seems to be pretty darn good on showing trails, etc. You might want to go that route so you can print area maps of your own. Would pay for itself pretty fast if you need alot of different areas printed up. You can get waterproof printing paper for it also. I would do a test print to regular paper first thow to make sure you have it set up the way you want each map, before printing to the waterproof paper. It's expensive paper to waste.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Yep grizzlyh found it to be a realy good program, just picked it up this fall too, sure beats going to REI or any where else, but now i gota get me one of those top end printers that print on waterproof paper, or a laminator, found that if you print em if they get any moisture the ink runs and turns into a blur, but for that to be my only complaint says alot. wasnt aware that you could get waterproof paper for any printer? hows that working? would you recomend it or think about investing in a better printer?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    Yep grizzlyh found it to be a realy good program, just picked it up this fall too, sure beats going to REI or any where else, but now i gota get me one of those top end printers that print on waterproof paper, or a laminator, found that if you print em if they get any moisture the ink runs and turns into a blur, but for that to be my only complaint says alot. wasnt aware that you could get waterproof paper for any printer? hows that working? would you recomend it or think about investing in a better printer?
    I suppose you could go with the high cost of a lazer printer, but this paper is made to water proof inkjet printer map copies. Any photo quality inkjet should work just fine with this paper. I suppose you could laminate them also for double protection if you have certain maps you want to use alot in the field. Like I said thow, do a test print on regular paper before doing the final print to the expensive map paper.

Default Found it

Here's the site I was looking for:

http://www.mytopo.com/index.cfm

Grizz, is the waterproof paper you're talking about available at regular office stores? Will it print on a laser printer too? Might be better to go the route you're talking about vs. paying $10+ per map.

Tim

Try mytopo.com they have several options including a photo/topo hybrid. You can upgrade and draw your own lines and waypoints etc. . I have used twice with good success.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Grizz, is the waterproof paper you're talking about available at regular office stores? Will it print on a laser printer too? Might be better to go the route you're talking about vs. paying $10+ per map.

Tim
    You may be able to find the paper at office supply stores, but they sell it at Sportsmans as well as the software map program. This is editable for waypoints and trails also, if you need to add extra info to a map before printing it.

Oh ya, the paper will work with either printer I'm pretty sure.

This is all I ever use for my topo maps anymore:

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/

Zoom in on the area you want in "map" mode. Then when you get semi zoomed in swap to "MyTopo" in the upper right hand part of the screen. From there zoom in further until you get the amount of area or detail desired.

Then click on the "Print from your computer" links underneath the left hand portion of the make and select either Landscape or Portrait (I usually use portrait). This will call up a new page with a MUCH cleaner and more detailed version as well as slightly more area than the original window. Anyways you can print that directly or save the image and tweak it in paint to fill a 8.5X11" page as much as possible. Sounds confusing but it gets pretty easy after you do it a few times, plus its FREE and you can access it from any computer and not have to worry about having your program.

Just another option.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I suppose you could go with the high cost of a lazer printer, but this paper is made to water proof inkjet printer map copies. Any photo quality inkjet should work just fine with this paper. I suppose you could laminate them also for double protection if you have certain maps you want to use alot in the field. Like I said thow, do a test print on regular paper before doing the final print to the expensive map paper.
    A MUCH cheaper option that may only take you an extra 2 minutes to get a laminated topo map is to buy the clear packing tape and place them in overlapping strips on the front and back of the map. It takes a few more minutes to get a laminated topo map but the overall price will be less than purchasing a laser printer.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

I have used these maps on a few float trips and love them. I get the folded waterproof maps with UTM grids added. Perfect map for my intended usage. Great product.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Be careful with those online map sites. They are basically selling you a digitized version of your red Alaska Atlas and Gazeteer. In a state that is only 25% surveyed, no maps are going to be perfectly accurate, but satellite imagery is better than someone's "best guess" topography from the 1950s. Use Google Earth and plain ol' Google maps. Around Anchorage and Eagle River there is some 10 meter imagery available, but for most of the state it's going to be 30 meter. I have some 1.5 meter stuff that I use at work (for work stuff, not hunting) and I would say that it is no better for hunting purposes than Google's imagery. You're still going to have to make an assessment on the ground about whether your feet/boat/4x4 will go, regardless of what the map says.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

For example... the Kenai River bridge at Soldotna.
    kenai1.jpg
    You still can't discern any details about the landscape (except that the river is frozen). Google Earth was the best tool God ever gave hunters. For those of us lucky enough to work in GIS, DOD imagery is a nice gift as well.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    This is all I ever use for my topo maps anymore:

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/
    That's a good idea.

Tim

I'll have to agree with GrizzlyH. I have the National Geographic program and it works great. I have also printed directly from the Geological Survey website and from my Garmin GPS, but nothing has been as good as the Nat. Geo program so far. It also prints in a 2d type look. You should check them out. You can draw your own routes on a map and print it after zooming in. Nice program.

Mike

I have not tried the Nat Geo, however I just received a map from Mytopo and have no complaints. Shipping was fast and went out the day of order. Total cost was 31 bucks.

SkinnyD, I couldn't agree more about google earth. This file is a great addition and will allow you view topomaps right in google earth.

I spend a lot of time in the field reading maps and plans. I usually don't worry about the waterproof paper or laminating. I just get some of those big ziplock bags (I think they are quart size) and put the map in them. Usually works pretty good.

Another good online mapper is acme mapper.

I've had good luck with mytopo.com

To just view the topos and aerials on your PC, I like usaphotomaps. It is free and downloads the USGS dta. Just google usaphotomaps.