Thread: Ram horn styles by region? range?

Default Ram horn styles by region? range?

I have been bit pretty bad by the sheep bug and would be thrilled to just connect with a legal sheep at this point!

I am understanding that different regions or ranges have different common horn growth characteristics. I know I have sure seen a lot of different "styles" so to speak. My favorite are the ones that curl close to the head and then flare way out. Anyway I was curious what folks have found. Is there a guideline regarding which range to go to find a particular configuration?

As always pics are ALWAYS welcome! May be a good time to show off some mounts as well. The ram that has haunted my dreams has light horns a tight to the head curl and kicked out tips with dark annuli.

The woman that has haunted my dreams has light skin and a tight curl, kicked out tips with dark intentions. Quincidence? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    The woman that has haunted my dreams has light skin and a tight curl, kicked out tips with dark intentions. Quincidence? I think not.
    What mt. range is she from?

Alaska Range!

LuJon-

Those are my favorite looking rams also! Most of these rams I see come out of the eastern AK range both within the TMA, DCUA and the non permit areas of the eastern AK range. The picture of this ram I included came out of the eastern AK range, but not in a permit area (over the counter hunt). When I first saw him I knew he would go 40+ cause I saw his left horn go over the bridge of his nose by some bit and a mid level drop in curl. I wish he was not broomed on his right side, but I could not turn this ram down. Though he was 19 miles from the strip I landed on, so I was glad I took him 4 days into a 14 day hunt. I saw one other ram my buddy tried to get that was a "mirror" twin of this ram. My ram went 41" x13.5" (38" on the broomed side). He is about a 1 1/3 curl. I figured the other ram real close to the same, but my buddyhallenb-R1-021-9.jpg could not close the deal on him.

My least favorite are those "Texas Longhorns" as I call them. They almost start flaring at half curl. Most of them I have seen come out of the Wrangells, but I past up a few in the Brooks in 2007.

I took this ram out of the brooks in 09', he was the only leagl ram in the group of 6 others that were all just short of the full curl status. i went back to the same area this year and put in a few days but never made any conections, i did see 3 legal rams but they never moved from the rocky ledge that they stayed on for 2 straight days. i could have tried to get on em but i wasnt sure i could get back up out of the ravine they were on with a load once i dropped into it. the fog was realy bad on the days i was there this year, and only seen glimpses of them through out the day and the only valley that stayed foged in was the one with leagal rams, i was posted up on a piont that split into 3 different valleys and on day 3 i droped down the ridge into a clear valley to try to move around for a closer look and ened up moving in on a ram that turned out to be super tall and wide and thick but not a full curl. after loseing so much altituude and being that i was flying out in 2 days i had to get back and end my sheep hunt, theres always this year? at least i got back and caught some super nice graylings before flying out for moose and bou. This sheep was my first ram, and im hopeing for a little big one next time round, like the ones i seen this year, reguardless it was a great excperiance. i love the ones that flare out with tips intact and thick basses, anyone that gets out to circle, stop at the merchintile/dinner and take a look at the pic of the ram framed in the shop, it was taken in the 60s and its that biggest, most flared out dall ive ever seen, next time im out that way i need to take a pic of it and get more info on it, anyone been there and know which pic im talking about?

This is mine from '06. Came out of the Chugach - the last year it was over the counter. 14 1/2 x 39 7/8". I used a Rem. Ti in .270Win., a 140gr. Accubond from 110 yards. I would trade all hunting opportunities for one sheep trip a year.