Thread: Need a clutch puller..

Default Need a clutch puller..

for a 2003 Polaris 500 Edge. Can't seem to be able to round one up. They want $65.00 and it needs to be orderd. I only need it for a few minutes,lol. Would like to either barrow one or have someone stop by my place and pull it off for me. I have beer....

Mike, your puller didn't work. Seems that the threads were too small. Bump to the top...

I have a few different ones....PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I have a few different ones....PM sent
    Cool! Mine didn't work.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

No go John, none worked. Thanks so much for trying. I'll call you this afternoon and return your pullers tonight!

Still looking...

Have you tried using a Quality Bolt and Stub Shaft below it? I have done it this way on several clutches, with success. Be sure to lube/grease the threads of the bolt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Akres, please explain??

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Akres, please explain??
    Measure the depth of the recess in the clutch. Cut a bolt or round steel stock to the length just below the threads. Put the stub shaft in the hole, then thread the bolt in the face of the clutch housing. I have always found that using an impact wrench works better than a steady wrench tightening. Be sure to lube the bolt, even if using a factory puller. Never hammer on the puller or bolt...not good on the crank bearings and seals. Imagine a two piece puller, homemade..rather than the factory one piece puller, with the stub shaft being an integral component.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Does any of the puller fit, but you canít remove the clutch or is it that they do not fit? Have you tried using heat and or tapping the clutch? If heat or tapping does not help I made a hydraulic clutch puller that should work if the bolt will fit.

Gotcha Akres, thanks! I have one or two more possibilities but after that I just might try your way. Seems cheaper then $65.00!

RM, it seems that most the pullers I have tried seem to the correct length but none of the different thread types are correct. The threads on mine seem to be around 3/4". From what I am learning, most pullers are not only brand specific but also engine specific..

My puller is ĺ inch

Thanks RM, but no go on yours too. Why can't they just standardize these things! I'll be returning yours durring my lunch break. I did find online where a guy threaded a 7/16"x4" capped bolt into the crank and then theaded a 3/4" fine thread bolt into the clutch to pop his off. Simular of what akres was discribing. Gonna try it tonight. Thanks everyone for your efforts, got to meet some great folks in the process!!

If you find a bolt that threads in, I can drill and tap it for a grease zerk. Screw it in, pump it full of grease and it will come off hydraulically.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thr...asp?tid=118035 Maybe this will help have you got it off yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thr...asp?tid=118035 Maybe this will help have you got it off yet?
    He tried my Polaris ATV puller.... wrong size. I wonder if this might work though!
    Bill Hicks