Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need a clutch puller..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default Need a clutch puller..

    for a 2003 Polaris 500 Edge. Can't seem to be able to round one up. They want $65.00 and it needs to be orderd. I only need it for a few minutes,lol. Would like to either barrow one or have someone stop by my place and pull it off for me. I have beer....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Mike, your puller didn't work. Seems that the threads were too small. Bump to the top...

  3. #3
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    I have a few different ones....PM sent

  4. #4
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I have a few different ones....PM sent
    Cool! Mine didn't work.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    No go John, none worked. Thanks so much for trying. I'll call you this afternoon and return your pullers tonight!

    Still looking...

  6. #6

    Default

    Have you tried using a Quality Bolt and Stub Shaft below it? I have done it this way on several clutches, with success. Be sure to lube/grease the threads of the bolt.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Akres, please explain??

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Akres, please explain??
    Measure the depth of the recess in the clutch. Cut a bolt or round steel stock to the length just below the threads. Put the stub shaft in the hole, then thread the bolt in the face of the clutch housing. I have always found that using an impact wrench works better than a steady wrench tightening. Be sure to lube the bolt, even if using a factory puller. Never hammer on the puller or bolt...not good on the crank bearings and seals. Imagine a two piece puller, homemade..rather than the factory one piece puller, with the stub shaft being an integral component.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Does any of the puller fit, but you canít remove the clutch or is it that they do not fit? Have you tried using heat and or tapping the clutch? If heat or tapping does not help I made a hydraulic clutch puller that should work if the bolt will fit.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Gotcha Akres, thanks! I have one or two more possibilities but after that I just might try your way. Seems cheaper then $65.00!

    RM, it seems that most the pullers I have tried seem to the correct length but none of the different thread types are correct. The threads on mine seem to be around 3/4". From what I am learning, most pullers are not only brand specific but also engine specific..

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    My puller is ĺ inch

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Thanks RM, but no go on yours too. Why can't they just standardize these things! I'll be returning yours durring my lunch break. I did find online where a guy threaded a 7/16"x4" capped bolt into the crank and then theaded a 3/4" fine thread bolt into the clutch to pop his off. Simular of what akres was discribing. Gonna try it tonight. Thanks everyone for your efforts, got to meet some great folks in the process!!

  13. #13
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    If you find a bolt that threads in, I can drill and tap it for a grease zerk. Screw it in, pump it full of grease and it will come off hydraulically.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  14. #14
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    780

    Default

    http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thr...asp?tid=118035 Maybe this will help have you got it off yet?

  15. #15
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thr...asp?tid=118035 Maybe this will help have you got it off yet?
    He tried my Polaris ATV puller.... wrong size. I wonder if this might work though!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •