Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Bullet Puller (in your opinion)

Default Best Bullet Puller (in your opinion)

I am new to reloading and need a bullet puller. What is the best puller for it's price?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've used 2 or 3 types of the poundy things, but recently I got the Hornady Collet bullet puller.

Collet Pullers are made my other manufacturers, but the Hornady has the Toggle Lever, that tightens it back the same way as it's adjusted each time.

It works reely great for me.
    I've used it to pull MANY bullets.
    It doesn't damage or even mark the bullet.

So, I think the Hornady, is probably the best. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

From what you say, it beats the snot out of the RCBS I have Smitty. I've been using hammer types for years in spite of dinged bullet points, just because I hate the RCBS so much. Time to reconsider (and buy).

Depends if you're pulling one bullet or a few dozen. For just a few rounds at a time I still reach for an old impact bullet puller. Collet bullet pullers are certainly a very good option and for doing several cartridges at a time they are faster and can pull bullets that impact bullets cannot. However, buying each necessary collet for the various bore size you need can get expensive and a impact puller is a "one size does it all." Nice to have both in your inventory, but I recommend starting with the impact puller as it represents a better value for most reloaders IMO.
    Esse quam videri

I have the above mentioned Hornady collet based bullet puller. I'm very happy with it. It barely mars the bullet jacket, if at all. I've been able to re-use every pulled bullet. Buying a collet for each caliber you load for is a down side but I can pull many bullets much quicker than an impact puller without spilling powder and working up a sweat or my temper.

It is mounted on your press and you may need you to disassemble a set-up die if you need to pull one round immediately. I've been thinking about welding a jam nut to a stand and keeping it permanently mounted so I don't have to deal with taking a die out of my press.

I have used the RCBS collet puller most of my handloading life. It works every time. Never used the Hornady so can not comment on it. But either one will be a good choice and last you a life time. Only noticeable marks on bullets I have pulled are caused by seating the bullets in the case.
    Peyton, Colorado

I have the Forster Collet type and it works well also.

Sounds like collet is the way to go. I shouldn't be pulling too many at a time maybe 6 or so mistake rounds but I like the idea of not marking the bullet.

I have both rcbs collet type and inertia type. The collet type is fast but some rounds especially pistol that don't have any straight part of the bullet exposed making it not possible to grab the bullet and as was said you need a collet for each caliber. The inertia type can make a mess of powder especially fine ball powder and will dent soft pointed bullets unless you put a piece of foam rubber in the bottom first. The inertia type require a solid surface like a concrete floor or anvil but will pull absolutely any bullet. There is a tecnique for using the inertia type that some people don't seem to get the hang of. I haven't used my collet type in 15 or 20 years. Also I can pull a couple of bullets with my inertia before you can screw a collet type in a press. If you put a piece of foam ,old ear plug or such at the bottom of the puller it will leave no marks on the bullet. For the occasional oops I would go with an inertia. If you are trying to salvage components from a thousand old military rounds then a collet is the only way to maintain sanity.

I have the Hornady collet puller and like it's function. I also have 2 of the hammer style inertia impact types, one standard size and one for large cases.

Both types work well but the collet type is my favorite. The case is held down by the shell plate while the collet threads into the tool head on the Dillon. When the ram is at the top you adjust tension on the bullet and out it comes with powder remaining neatly in the case.

With ultra light stuff like 26gr .204's the inertia hammers don't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I am new to reloading and need a bullet puller. What is the best puller for it's price?
    Spend the $12 dollars and get a RCBS inertia hammer puller to start with. Odds are that you will never outgrow it. If you do at some point develop a need to disassemble large numbers of rounds, then the investment in a collet puller would be worth the money.
    Unite against racism. We are all Michael Brown.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Spend the $12 dollars and get a RCBS inertia hammer puller to start with. Odds are that you will never outgrow it. If you do at some point develop a need to disassemble large numbers of rounds, then the investment in a collet puller would be worth the money.
    My first was a blue Dillon copy of the RCBS, total junk. It broke on the first cold day of it's use, the plastic is brittle. I replaced it with the RCBS and it has lasted without any problems. As far as inertia hammers go it's fine.

I also have the Lyman Magnum inertia hammer for large cases. It has a nice feel and works well too.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/si..._Bullet_Puller

Get a collet puller, I've had an rcbs for years, but others work just as well.

For just a few bullets, you can take a piece of aluminum 1/4-3/8" thick, drill a hole the dia of the bullet or slightly over, and cut a slot from the edge of the al to the hole. Run the round up in your press with no die in place, slide the hole over the bullet, use a pair of vice grips to clamp across the slot and run the ram down to remove the bullet.

The best bullet puller is the one ya never have to use!

I loaded 100 rounds of 243s last night, went to the range and bout half of them took more effort to close the bolt than I care to use. So I sat there at the stinking reloading bench trying them one at a time to see if the bolt closed easily. The ones that fit like they should shot real well with no pressure sign etc. The others 53 took me an hour to take apart with my ancient RCBS cockroach killer when I got home.

I'm gonna start another thread concerning that incident because I am not sure what was going on...see you there!

I use the Lyman Magnum inertia puller. It works for all calibers and it's easy to use.

I have a Hornady collet puller and an inertia puller. The collet puller is nice for pulling lots of bullets at one time. Thge inertia puller is great for one'sie and two'sie and is mutch cheaper and unless you're loading monster rounds, i.e. the largest African dangerous game rounds it's one size fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've used 2 or 3 types of the poundy things, but recently I got the Hornady Collet bullet puller.

Collet Pullers are made my other manufacturers, but the Hornady has the Toggle Lever, that tightens it back the same way as it's adjusted each time.

It works reely great for me.
    I've used it to pull MANY bullets.
    It doesn't damage or even mark the bullet.

So, I think the Hornady, is probably the best. ????

Smitty of the North
    I agree completely!

I've used inertia pullers, RCBS collet puller and now Hornady collet puller. IMO the Hornady is, by far, the quickest and easiest. Collet pullers are, as a rule, more efficient that inertia pullers and far better if you are pulling more than one or two bullets. The Hornady design is much quicker and more efficient than the screw-in tightening pullers (like the RCBS). With the Hornady you simply tighten by depressing a lever. It's quicker and much, much easier than the screw-in pullers - a single quick motion and you're done.

I recently pulled about 50 bullets (after experiencing a couple of blow-back from loose primer pockets I decided that it would be prudent NOT to fire more rounds using this particular batch of brass, which had had repeated firings at safe but max pressures). It took less than 5 minutes to pull all 50 rounds using the Hornady. Simple, quick and efficient. Worth the relatively small investment to me for use on this one occasion.

BrownBear: in my experience the Hornady does indeed beat the snot out of the RCBS.

Can someone explain how to use the collet type on wad cutters. I can't get mine to work. Doesn't work very good on SWC or other bullets with nothing but ogive sticking out of the case either.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Can someone explain how to use the collet type on wad cutters. I can't get mine to work. Doesn't work very good on SWC or other bullets with nothing but ogive sticking out of the case either.
    I knew that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah Smitty, just messing with you all. I think bullet pullers are like everything else. Get the right one for the job. Inertia pullers will pull anything but are slow and messy. Collet pullers are much faster for larger quantities if they will grab the bullet. I haven't tried the Hornady cam lock, but it's easy to see why it would work much faster and more consistat than the rcbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast