Thread: What Have I missed?

Default What Have I missed?

Have a PPL/SEL but haven't flown in the last 18 years (divorce forced me to sell my 1/4 interest in the 152). The reason I learned was with an eye to moving to Alaska, life just didn't let me. I'm looking at changing that.

No reason I couldn't pass a medical and get back into the left seat. The local instructor estimated I could be ready to rock in 20-30 hours to knock the rust off which would include having to learn a new aircraft (they fly Pipers and their trainer is an Apache, I'm checked out in the Cessna 152 & 172).

ND is a very rural state and I did way more flying under 1500 feet AGL than above. Have a level of familarity with grass strips. Our 152 was a spartan set up, no transponder and a radio that only worked when within a couple miles of the receiver, and the tail had to be pointed toward it to talk to them. The airports in state with ATC hated us for obvious reasons ( they had to dust off the red & green lights to signal us in). We were sometimes called Stealth 385. OK, cursed at as Stealth 385.

All my flying was done with sectionals, a kneeboard, and landmarks. I have a GPS at home I use for hunting but never flew with one.

So if I can get up there and get through a check flight, what new advances & challenges will I see & have to learn beyond the obvious of unimproved short strips and weather? I'm looking at maintaining just my PPL, not interested in becoming a paid bush pilot...

just get on up here, and get checked out at the local airport, and do some local flying with an instructor, and you'll be good to go fairly quick

Thanks TB. I miss flying a ton, riding my VStar and flying Microsoft Flight Sim just don't quite fill in the hole...

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

NDT...Flying has not changed all that much in 20 years.., a rule here and there, a regulation to "enhance" safety but when you pull back on the stick the houses still get smaller...When you get to Alaska you still can fly low and slow, and get out to a lot of cool places within your comfort zone and level of expertise, while experiencing adventures others only dare to dream about...When you get here you can knock the rust off while you get a tail wheel endorsement, a float rating, go out on ski's or just off airport wheel flying...Best of luck to you...

Thanks Indy. Man, I got the itch so bad it hurts. Kind of like riding my bike. Folks that don't do it can't understand why guys like us need it so bad...

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

now if I can just convince you to get a Harley...LOL...(ROAD KING CLASSIC for me)

ND,

Yep you'll love it here. More outdoors then you can see. HA!.

Yeah come up and buy my 180B.

Rick

It shouldn't take 20 hrs. , it comes back quick from my exper. teaching PPL guys that have had a break.
    best of luck Tom
    NOW- Rick what is this selling your 180, didn't you just get it?

I suggest you take the refresher course offered by Gleim. It will cost you $30 but will save you lots more than that when you show up at the flight school prepared. They have a free study lesson you can try before you buy the course.

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/pilotrefresher/online/

I don't work for Gleim. I am a flight instructor and have worked with pilots that have not flown for years and then get back into aviation. Knowing the basics will make your training more efficient. That will save you $$$! There are other companies that offer similar products. I'm sure one of those would work as well I just happen to have used Gleim in the past. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and words of support. Getting back in the air sounds better & better...

Indy, my old partner drives a Road King. That is one serious piece of iron. I'm thinking Softail Classic for my next bike...

I had very little time, 1 hour in a tail wheel and hadn't been in a small plane for 13 years. I bought an Arctic Tern found an instructor and was checked out after 4 hours in the air and and 2 hours on the ground. I would love to say it was because i was just THAT good, but honesty forces me to say the Tern will cover up some very bad footwork without a lot of complaints.