Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 375 win?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default 375 win?

    My buddy brought by a 375 win. Basically a 30-30 necked up to 375, lever action. Iron sights and a scope to the side. He was thinking about using it with his son for a youth gun on moose this year.

    We are going to start loading for it since there is only one factory offering. Bullets available to load: 200 gr Sierra, 220 gr Hornady, 255 gr Barnes original. Super slow, a 255gr bullet at about 1800 fps. A 100 yard gun for sure. The 200's at 2200 fsp.

    What do you think? Anybody have experience with this caliber?

  2. #2
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    My buddy brought by a 375 win. Basically a 30-30 necked up to 375, lever action. Iron sights and a scope to the side. He was thinking about using it with his son for a youth gun on moose this year.

    We are going to start loading for it since there is only one factory offering. Bullets available to load: 200 gr Sierra, 220 gr Hornady, 255 gr Barnes original. Super slow, a 255gr bullet at about 1800 fps. A 100 yard gun for sure. The 200's at 2200 fsp.

    What do you think? Anybody have experience with this caliber?
    Wow Dave,
    I was just thinking about a 375 Winchester myself. I have a 30-30 that I used to use back home, but feels like dead-weight up here. There's a guy in Oregon who will rebore my rifle to 375 for about $250. I would think the 220 Grain Hornady would work quite well, but would prefer those Barnes originals (if you could still find them). I think the 375 has a lot going for it. If you ever grew up with a 30-30 in your hands, I'm certain that it'd be a potent combination if you were hunting moose.

  3. #3
    Member Fishhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    82

    Default

    What is the recoil like? I am looking for a rifle for my wife and I do reload. I have a 45-70 but I think the recoil is just a little much. I know I could download for the 45-70 but she also wants a rifle to call her own for moose hunting this year. Lever action would be nice.

  4. #4

    Default

    Loaded to original 38-55 ballistics, recoil won't be all that much more than a 30-30. Push it up to take advantage of the full capabilities of 375 Winnie, and it will get the attention of an inexperienced shooter. Nothing like a hot-loaded 45-70, but enough to make good stock fit and shooting techniques more than casual considerations.

    But that's kinda the point with this round. As a reloader you can nicely adjust it over a range of powers and recoils. Money and opportunity haven't intersected for me yet, but I've got my heart set on picking one up in a Savage 99. I've already got a 99 in 358, so that really doesn't make any sense. But who said gun nuts had to be sensible!

  5. #5
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Wow Dave,
    I was just thinking about a 375 Winchester myself. I have a 30-30 that I used to use back home, but feels like dead-weight up here. There's a guy in Oregon who will rebore my rifle to 375 for about $250. I would think the 220 Grain Hornady would work quite well, but would prefer those Barnes originals (if you could still find them). I think the 375 has a lot going for it. If you ever grew up with a 30-30 in your hands, I'm certain that it'd be a potent combination if you were hunting moose.
    The 30-30 is a fine moose and black bear gun. Nothing against the 375, but I've got a 30-30 and I've never considered it to be dead weight. An old guy I used to hunt with used his 30-30 exclusively for moose for somewhere around 50 years. I've killed a few bears (including on grizz) with it as well.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  6. #6
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Yeah, I shot my first moose with my 30-30, but I'd like to go with a 375 re-bore. The model 94 can handle the round, and in a rifle, it's far more powerful than a 44 magnum. It'd be nice to tote a rifle I grew up with, chambered for such a unique cartridge.

  7. #7
    Member Eastwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier, New York
    Posts
    430

    Default

    I took a big doe last year with the 200 gr Sierra. A 75 yard shot. I loaded it to 2170 fps. The doe was quartering toward me. It entered just behind the right shoulder and exited at the left paunch, just in front of the left hip. Good penetration for sure. The exit hole was the size of a nickel.

    It was'nt with a 375 win though. It was out of my Sako 375 H&H.

  8. #8
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    The 30-30 is a fine moose and black bear gun. Nothing against the 375, but I've got a 30-30 and I've never considered it to be dead weight. An old guy I used to hunt with used his 30-30 exclusively for moose for somewhere around 50 years. I've killed a few bears (including on grizz) with it as well.
    I also wanted to add that there is a gent in Oregon who will rebore a 30-30 for only $225. I've put many, many years behind a 30-30, but I really prefer bullets between .388-.375, but I don't care about velocity at all. I talked to Jesse of JES reboring and he said the model 94 can handle the pressure of the 375 with no problems at all, especially the newer ones. This is very good deal considering Winchester originally stuffed this cartridge in their heavier big bore 94. How nice it would be to tote a 6 pound rifle slinging 250 grain Barnes originals in a rifle that you've carried your entire life. 7 shot magazine capacity, and more powerful than a 44 magnum carbine rifle.

  9. #9

    Default

    I have two of them. A 375 Marlin and a Encore Pro Hunter. I had a Ruger No.3 that was ok but just not up to snuff with the other two.

    I also shot a big doe last year using a heavy cast bullet in the Encore. I had pistol grips on so as to be legal. The big cast bullet made a dime sized hole going in and maybe a nickel size exit hole. Ruined both lungs and thats what matters.

    I've been shooting some cheap cast bullets in the Marlin with a light load of Unique. They shoot right with my ability which with iron sights ain't what it used to be. I want to take the Marlin to Texas in a couple months to shoot a hog with. I will use the heavy gas checked Bear Claws for that if the hunt pans out!

    Everybody that I know that has ever tried the 375 Winny has liked it. It's to bad and a wonder that it didn't pan out in the commercial market!

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    hello EKC,
    The gun not catching on might be because they didn't put the cartridge in the original Model 94. Most of the old guys back home didn't really care for the larger and more heavier big bore model 94. Over on the Marlin side of things..........the 375 was attempting to compete against the 35 Remington, which is about neck n neck in the power department, with the 375 being a slight cut above with heavier "boolits" (smitty). I've always been an admirer of the cartridge but I'm just weird anyways........always going for these oddball cartridges that seem to be so useful for Alaska.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I also wanted to add that there is a gent in Oregon who will rebore a 30-30 for only $225. I've put many, many years behind a 30-30, but I really prefer bullets between .388-.375, but I don't care about velocity at all. I talked to Jesse of JES reboring and he said the model 94 can handle the pressure of the 375 with no problems at all, especially the newer ones. This is very good deal considering Winchester originally stuffed this cartridge in their heavier big bore 94. How nice it would be to tote a 6 pound rifle slinging 250 grain Barnes originals in a rifle that you've carried your entire life. 7 shot magazine capacity, and more powerful than a 44 magnum carbine rifle.
    Jesse re-bored my 94 last year to 35-30/30. Exceptional work,incredibly fast, and wonderfully priced. Can't beat that deal. If you're not set on the .375 I'd give the .35-30/30 a look. It does virtually everything the .375 Win. does with the added benefit of being able to use .357 pistol bullets for plinking or light hunting loads. I love mine. Dies are off the shelf items at CH-4D and brass is easy to form from 30/30, which is not the case with the .375 from what I understand. I could be wrong on that though. I just always heard .375 win brass was heavier and thus more expensive.

  12. #12
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Jesse re-bored my 94 last year to 35-30/30. Exceptional work,incredibly fast, and wonderfully priced. Can't beat that deal. If you're not set on the .375 I'd give the .35-30/30 a look. It does virtually everything the .375 Win. does with the added benefit of being able to use .357 pistol bullets for plinking or light hunting loads. I love mine. Dies are off the shelf items at CH-4D and brass is easy to form from 30/30, which is not the case with the .375 from what I understand. I could be wrong on that though. I just always heard .375 win brass was heavier and thus more expensive.
    So that this thread doesn't get hi jacked too much, would you post a new thread about your 35-30? I'm extremely interested to hear what kind loads you've made and if you've approached 35 reminton power. If yah don't start a thread soon, I'll definitely have to PM yah.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Sounds like nobody thinks it is not enough gun, that is good. Time at the range will tell if it is too much recoil for his kids. I personally have not shot it yet, so am not a judge of the recoil myself yet. Hopefully I will be at the range in a week or so and can check it out as well as a 30-06 project. We may be able to shoot smaller bullets with less load to help with excessive recoil, need be. I am planning to try the 255gr Barnes originals. They are still sold online and even in town at GNG. I actually found brass at Sportsmans, go figure. I like the idea of a bigger bullet on heavier game. The 200gr sierra bullets might be a big fragile.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •